39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

jks

Continuous Lurker
Member Bio
Reaction score
Here's from the G&M

Should John Tory run for mayor again? An adviser with his best interests at heart would probably say, “You'd have to be out of your mind.â€

Mr. Tory has been through the mill in the past few years. He lost his first bid to be mayor to David Miller in 2003. He lost his only shot at being premier of Ontario when he backed government funding for religious schools, a disastrous miscalculation that ensured his defeat by Liberal Premier Dalton McGuinty in 2007. He lost his own seat in that vote, after unwisely abandoning a safe seat in the Orangeville area to run in Toronto's Don Valley West. Finally, on March 5, he lost a by-election that would have returned him to the legislature, costing him his job as Conservative leader.

After absorbing all those blows, why would be want to run for office again in late 2010, risking another humiliating loss that would end his political hopes for good? One answer is that, this time, he could win.

Mr. Miller is vulnerable. He won the 2003 vote only narrowly, with 43 per cent of the vote to Mr. Tory's 38 per cent. He did better in 2006, taking 57 per cent, but a weak opponent, Jane Pitfield, gave him a run for his money with 32 per cent. Incumbency is not destiny in Toronto. Just ask Barbara Hall, who went into the 2003 vote as front-runner and ended up taking only 9 per cent of the votes.

Any candidate running against the mayor would have a D-Day-sized pile of ammunition supplied by Mr. Miller himself: a series of new taxes, from the land-transfer tax to the vehicle-registration fee, that have burdened Toronto ratepayers in the midst of a recession; a failure to control costs that has forced the city to raid its reserves again and again; a road-repair backlog of more than $300-million that has left many streets full of cracks and potholes; a so-called “war on the car†that has left motorists fuming as city council approves new bike lanes and transit lines.

The trouble is that none of Mr. Miller's city council rivals has a big enough cannon to make use of all that ammo. The councillors who are considering a run against him – Karen Stintz, Denzil Minnan-Wong, Michael Thompson, possibly Rob Ford – lack the name recognition, the fundraising clout and the simple gravitas to topple a high-profile mayor.

Mr. Tory has all those things and more. He ran an excellent campaign in 2003 that showed he has both the passion and the policy smarts for the job. As a former Rogers Communications executive, commissioner of the Canadian Football League and leading city lawyer, he understands the private sector and what it can contribute to the city. He knows that an organization, public or private, has to live within its means.

As a top fundraiser for the United Way and other charities, he understands the needs of the disadvantaged, too. This is no slash-and-burn conservative Neanderthal, but the quintessential Red Tory. As a political back-roomer since his 20s, he has the contacts and the skills to work with higher levels of government and get what Toronto needs. To top it off, he is admired by those who know him for his integrity and sense of fair play. Mr. Tory would be a dream candidate, a credible, moderate, experienced right-of-centre challenger to the pink-hued regime of Mr. Miller and his backers at city hall.

Will he risk it? No one would blame him for declining. For all his faults, Mr. Miller is a strong mayor with plenty of energy, lots of support and a sincere desire to improve the city. Mr. Tory comes with liabilities, including questionable political judgment, and a recent record of failure that would be hard to shake.

But for all his troubles, Mr. Tory, 55, still has a lot to offer. He cares about public service. He is deeply attached to the city where he was born, raised and educated. He could make a superb mayor.

So, yes, the adviser guarding his interests would tell him to take a pass. But the adviser with the city's interests at heart would say: Go for it, John.

The problem with the structure of municipal governance is that strong contenders for the mayoralty don't tend to be engaged in the government. Tory would have been an execellent leader of the opposition to Miller, and Miller probably would have performed better as a result. I wonder whether we should abandon the presidential/mayoral system we currently use for more of a parliamentary model.

I'd like to see the strong mayor system. It would make accountability easier. And it might actually get people interested in municipal politics.

As long as we don't allow parties in municipal politics it really will come down to personalities and the mayor's the only one people really think about. If you want parliamentary style politics, you're gonna have to allow political parties that people can identify with.

I read the fourth paragraph and thought, "This is really stupid. 32% vs 57% is a 'run for his money'? In any other political theatre that's a landslide. And the author either doesn't know the meaning of the word 'incumbent' or hasn't heard of Mel Lastman."

So I went to the Globe site and sure enough, it's that nitwit Marcus Gee. Why on earth have they given that boring, right wing tubthumper a Toronto column? Maybe they're finally punishing him for his blind and shameful cheerleading of Bush's campaign for war against Iraq.

Where is the wit, irony and insight of John Barber these days?

Anyways, John Tory is like a good looking, high priced car that falls apart when you try to drive it. Some people (stupid people like Marcus Gee) keep getting duped by how good it looks in the showroom. He's repeatedly shown that he can't help shooting himself in the foot. His history of failure is now his biggest liability.

Has he no sense of embarassment? Can he not find fruitful employment in the private sector? He was a Rogers exec but his sponsor, old man Rogers is gone, as the old man and John Tory senior were buds. I assume he also has no sponsors in the public sector, or he would have an public appointment by now.

His campaign hq was at Yonge and Lawrence in 03. On my evening walks a steady stream of Chanel jacketed and shoed waspy women in their 60s with highlighted hair came and went clutching pamplets. And the constant refrain: 'This is my wife Barbara Hackett' [oh, are you common law?].

I voted for Miller and I'll vote for him again.

^ What's wrong with having a strong challenger? I for one want to see a strong challenger emerge. And there are issues that Tory can run on. By election time, most people will have discovered the joy of many of Miller's taxes...the one getting set for the biggest backlash imho will be the vehicle registration tax. "What do you mean only people in Toronto pay this? So you are saying that the guy who drives down the Gardiner from Mississauga does not have to pay this but I do even though I take the TTC to work?"

And then there's Transit City, the ridiculous opposition to Porter (which more and more people are finding out ain't all that bad), etc. I bet he could win Scarborough simply by promising to build a subway extension from Kennedy to STC!

There are enough issues with which to run a campaign and win. Or at least run a strong enough campaign that would moderate many of those policies.

Yet, I don't think he's going to run. Another election loss would probably destroy the man. I think he'll vote for his sanity and sit on the sidelines.

I read the fourth paragraph and thought, "This is really stupid. 32% vs 57% is a 'run for his money'? In any other political theatre that's a landslide.

Given the ridiculously low participation rate for municipal elections, it's not as extreme as it sounds. The difference in the number of votes (around 37 000 votes) was not all that great. If Tory could have mobilized more voters to actually participate in the election he could have been quite successful (kinda like the Obama strategy of new voters). Unfortunately, he ran a fairly staid campaign competing for the same tiny pie of voters who actually participate. And then there was the issue of vote splitting. That election saw some fairly well known names like Barbara Hall, Tom Jakobek and John Nunziata. If the fight was down to just him and Miller, it could have easily gone the other way.

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/...un-for-mayor-criticizes-the-miller-years.aspx

Saw him stumble out of the Duke of Devon today, tie askew...oh, I know hammered when I see it...and yes, I hope he runs for mayor again, and I'd vote for him in a heartbeat.

Saw him stumble out of the Duke of Devon today, tie askew...oh, I know hammered when I see it...and yes, I hope he runs for mayor again, and I'd vote for him in a heartbeat.

He was on BNN this evening... he looked mostly sober if haggard.

If a conservative can't get elected in Lindsay they just can't win elections. Tory perhaps should change his name?
Miller is doing a good job. I like how he got rid of Fantino. I like his green perspective. I think his high profile serves Toronto well.

Given that he did alright in the suburbs last time, maybe he stands a chance now that Miller's transfer tax is coming in. It'd probably be felt more downtown than anywhere else.

There are some hints that next year's budget faces a shortfall of $350 million. This after the LTT, VRT and new garbage fees. Unless Miller finds a new way in which to hide this, it may prove to be his downfall.

he has benefited from crime or murders going down.

There have been only 23 so far this year.

Given that he did alright in the suburbs last time, maybe he stands a chance now that Miller's transfer tax is coming in. It'd probably be felt more downtown than anywhere else.

Indeed, Tory won most of the suburban wards in '03. Miller won based on high turnout and huge margins of victory in the Old City.

Last edited:
There are some hints that next year's budget faces a shortfall of $350 million. This after the LTT, VRT and new garbage fees. Unless Miller finds a new way in which to hide this, it may prove to be his downfall.

Agreed. And if (and it's a big if) the province does not bail him out and forces him to really raise taxes and cut services, then he's really going to be in a tight spot.

Tory is one of the few guys I'd vote for. All his social work and volunteering here (well before he aimed to get in to politics) shows that he truly and genuinely loves this town. I don't doubt Miller's sincerity but I am sick of every tax increase going to union pay raises instead of improved services or infrastructure. I am hoping Tory would have a little more backbone here.

Back