News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Then on the other hand is playing against Ford on the LRT file.

She actually asked for the Fords blessing before saying anything about the Eglinton LRT. She thought she got that blessing from Doug Ford. She was trying to toe the line, but got screwed over in the process. She was trying to be as loyal as possible and was willing to gut her own organization to do it.

She actually asked for the Fords blessing before saying anything about the Eglinton LRT. She thought she got that blessing from Doug Ford. She was trying to toe the line, but got screwed over in the process. She was trying to be as loyal as possible and was willing to gut her own organization to do it.
There's no reason to believe the she didn't get blessing from Doug Ford. However Doug Ford seems to have failed to get the blessing from Rob Ford.

Ford seems to be going out of his way, to alienate his core support in council.

A blessing from Doug Ford? He's a rookie councillor and not even on the executive committee, but seems to have more power because he's the mayor's brother. Now I know who is the real worship.

Clearly a new Commission will be needed. Who do you think will be on it? I'd expect it's members to come from those voting for TC. So I wouldn't be surprised if Augimeri, Parker and Stintz (I'd be surprised if she _isn't_ there.) Who else? Maybe Mihevic would want to return? A number of centrists like Matlow or Colle? Luby? Any other ideas?

Yes, a new commission should be created with Stintz, Mihevc (yes, it is the correct spelling), Matlow, and Colle being potential chairs.

Oops on the spelling.

I'd expect Stintz would want to be made chair again given all she's doing?

Yes. Though I may be a progressive and Stintz may be a conservative, I want to see her continue as TTC Chair, since she has a sensible plan and good transit plans transcend political lines.

She wouldn't be the first person who thought they had the blessing of the Fords and ended up getting screwed over after going public. Michael Thompson thought he had the blessing to play hardball with the police, but the minute he started going public with that strategy, the Mayor sided with the police. There have been other times when Del Grande seems to be confused over the Mayor's position during budget negotiations. I'm actually surprised the mayor has as much support left as he does.

How the TTC Commissioners voted for Transit City or against:

• Karen Stintz, TTC Chair FOR
  • Peter Milczyn, Vice-Chair AGAINST
  • Maria Augimeri FOR
  • Vincent Crisanti AGAINST
  • Frank Di Giorgio AGAINST
  • Norm Kelly AGAINST
  • Denzil Minnan-Wong AGAINST
  • Cesar Palacio AGAINST
  • John Parker FOR

How do we get rid of the Rob Ford lapdogs on the TTC commission? Will the city councillors be able to keep Karen Stintz on the TTC board, and as chair?

Well Milczyn and Minnan-Wong already said they will respect the will of the council. As long as they do, don't see any immediate need for council to remove and reconstitute the commission.

AoD

Pretty sure we just witnessed the unofficial start to her 2014 mayoral campaign. While I didn't like her when she first became prominent a couple years ago, I'm definitely coming around to her. I think Toronto could really use a centrist mayor who knows the meaning of a compromise after all this useless partisan bickering.

Pretty sure we just witnessed the unofficial start to her 2014 mayoral campaign. While I didn't like her when she first became prominent a couple years ago, I'm definitely coming around to her. I think Toronto could really use a centrist mayor who knows the meaning of a compromise after all this useless partisan bickering.

Compromise? Or capitulate? Seems that every time something isn't going their way, the left of centrists out there want to "eliminate" people from positions they hold. Supporters become "minions" or "lackies" when they don't agree with their opinions. Ford has more right by tradition to turf Stintz for her going against him than any of YOU have to get rid of counsellors.

Compromise? Or capitulate? Seems that every time something isn't going their way, the left of centrists out there want to "eliminate" people from positions they hold.
Hang on. That seems the opposite of reality.

Miller - one of the best mayors in Toronto's history since amalgamation - had representation on his big committees from across the city. There isn't a single Toronto-East York councillor on either the Executive Committee or the TTC. Surely it is pro-Union Rob Ford that is the one to want to eliminate the people he doesn't want from having any power.

RichA:

And council have the legal right to turf the entire commission if it so chooses, your point?

AoD

Last edited:
Compromise? Or capitulate? Seems that every time something isn't going their way, the left of centrists out there want to "eliminate" people from positions they hold. Supporters become "minions" or "lackies" when they don't agree with their opinions. Ford has more right by tradition to turf Stintz for her going against him than any of YOU have to get rid of counsellors.

It was the left with came up with compromise after compromise, which Ford rejected. It was the right who was wanting to remove Stintz from her position for not agreeing with them.

I'm trying really hard to keep from insulting you for your lack of insight, but you are not making it very easy...

Back