virtual_01.jpg

virtual_02.jpg

virtual_03.jpg

virtual_04.jpg

virtual_09.jpg

virtual_14.jpg

virtual_16.jpg

virtual_18.jpg

Named in Chinese after Beijing's famous Wangfujing shopping street, King Square definitely has a "Beijing modern" look to it.

The retail component somewhat resembles Beijing apm:
image-20080423-ujsy38mudc2j1al72z12_t_h480.jpg

The hotel component is like Beijing's Oriental Plaza
200592116726-Exterior%20-%201.jpg

Hope they will inject some green elements into this project; like solar, geothermal ...etc.

Is there anyone know the developer of the King Square? Or any other development whom might interesting in "Green" concepts?
I think project size like King Square should at least consider geothermal heat & cooling for the long run. Cut down the energy use by 70%+.
We have done lots huge projects in China by using Geothermal and the result is very outstanding.
I think Canadian development companies should play more attention on future renewable energy application from now on.

The new Market Village in Steeles / Kennedy (new name will be "Remington Centre") will apply geothermal system for the whole project. This save lots of Energy and cut down tons green house gas!
e1524adb4ed28db2479734df2041.jpeg

Can't help but noticed the sky light roof for the Winter Garden is buried in the shadow of the 3 hotel/condo towers, doesn't look like the garden is going to get any sun light at all! So much for green design sigh!

for starter ... King Square has a very large green roof / rooftop garden ~

^ I doubt the roof garden will ever be put in place. I tend to think that roof gardens are put in place because they look better than the typical roof.

The renderings for the Splendid China Tower expansion show a roof garden on top of its parking structure... along with GO buses zipping around its base. How credible do you think that rendering is?

Page & Steele are the architects behind this project ~

Site photos (April 2)

4485976050_69d849be3b_b.jpg

North side of site borders on a stormwater retention pond/park

4485329633_618d464352_b.jpg

4485982396_0cd409e234_b.jpg

Looking north on Woodbine

4485333093_23c03040cd_b.jpg

Sign facing Markland

An interesting indication of the "intensification" going on at Woodbine and 16th is Markham Chinese Baptist Church at Woodbine and Hillmount, with a 3-storey parking garage in the back.

4486024270_8517f9de59_b.jpg

Last edited:
I saw the line up last week to purchase retail space. It seemed to be a big deal. Every single person was Chinese. Therefore, I assume this will just be another Pacific Square or First Markham Place. Catering specifically to only one clientele. Unappealing to many who will feel out of place. Visit Pacific Mall

Wow I am glad I found this site and this thread specifically.

I live in the neighbourhood of Markland and Major Mackenzie and saw the signs for the proposed development of King Square on my walks in the area. I wanted to look it up to see what it is all about though I suspected it would be just that, another Chinese plaza like Pacific Mall or First Markham. While these malls/plazas do serve a great and very specific purpose (as I frequent both on occasion) I am unsure how I feel about such a large centre opening so closely to my residence.

Does anybody know what impact such a development will (if any) have on property values in the surrounding neighbourhood? Is this good or bad for home values?

I am saddened to see that their website does not so much as have an English option for its content or audio information. Already a minority in my community a destination shopping centre like this that does not even consider its non-chinese speaking clientele just makes me feel more out of place in the area than I already do.

Wow I am glad I found this site and this thread specifically.
Does anybody know what impact such a development will (if any) have on property values in the surrounding neighbourhood? Is this good or bad for home values?

Generally speaking, I would think it's a good sign indicating that there is enough density in the area to warrant a plaza there. While it's effect on home values could be positive, I think it often depends on if the buyer is willing to buy a place near it. There have been some newer developments up by major mack for retail and new homes - I wouldn't buy in the area because of the congestion and noise (also don't really the the atmosphere of the neighbourhood with the homes are so tight together). So I think it will depend on the overall success of the plaza.

Uh, this is way more than a mere plaza.

Katinto: the Real Estate subforum is the place at UrbanToronto to take your questions regarding home values, etc. More people from all angles of the Real Estate spectrum read, and respond, in that section of our site.

Back