News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

When? Where? Which direction? I just did it westbound in late peak from Broadview to Parliament and it was fine.

Sorry...meant east of Broadview. Leslieville.

Broadview to Parliment is fairly fast...it's where there is street life, retail, parking, etc that the streetcars (and vehicles) slow down. Figure out how to move 1, you automatically move the other.

Sorry...meant east of Broadview. Leslieville.
Really? I tend to head up Broadview to Gerrard, but I do use 502 and 503 at times in peak, and I've never noticed it that bad. Was this during the Leslie construction (which I guess has been going on for pushing 2 years now)? That's shifted traffic from Eastern and Lakeshore onto Queen.

Narrow streets?

So what do they do in Europe with their trams on narrow streets? No parking, force them to park and deliver in parking lots. Right-of-ways, even single lane. Even don't allow cars at all.

arn0_ams-lrt-leidsestraat_roeland-koning.jpg

IMAG1883.jpg

38958186tu8.jpg

zwi-lrt-2trains-passing-narrow%20street-curve-peds_simon-p-smiler.jpg

But we can't do that here, because the single-occupant car is king and we should all genuflect before them.

Last edited:
^ exactly. Whatever we do, don't upset the car drivers, and God forbids taking any lanes from them on any street because everyone should be able to drive from their home right to their destination with no distractions from transit/pedestrians.

Last edited:
^ exactly. Whatever we do, don't upset the car drivers, and God forbids taking any lanes from them on any street!

Look what's happening for Eg Connects at Yonge & Eg. It's one of the most busy pedestrian intersections of the city, yet take away one lane of cars for a very small part of Eglinton and it causes a huge ruckus from drivers who I'm betting 99% don't drive at Yonge & Eg (aka YEGG) anyways.

Look what's happening for Eg Connects at Yonge & Eg. It's one of the most busy pedestrian intersections of the city, yet take away one lane of cars for a very small part of Eglinton and it causes a huge ruckus from drivers who I'm betting 99% don't drive at Yonge & Eg (aka YEGG) anyways.

It is the priority for Toronto to remove car lanes from an Arterial street with no on-street transit. We will do nothing for streets with streetcars because we expended all our energies on Eglinton (and Jarvis).

During
TIFF-Toronto-International-Film-Festival1.jpg
they will be turning part of King Street West into a pedestrian mall. See this link.

During the opening weekend, King will close down between Peter Street and University Avenue to both transit and civilian vehicles.

Why both transit and civilian vehicles? Why can't the streetcars continue to roll through?

arn0_ams-lrt-leidsestraat_roeland-koning.jpg

They are so afraid, very afraid.

King during TIFF usually is just pedestrians (well, movie star fans and photographers) and streetcars.

LOL, that train went right over the food, but the food was perfectly arranged.

It seems that automobile drivers do not want to share the road with streetcars.

Here's a video on
Driving with trams in Melbourne

[video=youtube_share;lDeHPrYxKCc]http://youtu.be/lDeHPrYxKCc[/video]
Remember that they drive on the left in Melbourne, Australia. Wish we had their rules, and fines.

Here's a view from one of Melbourne's trams. Of special interest it the temporary crossover at the beginning of the video.

[video=youtube_share;Ly18rR_P8rc]http://youtu.be/Ly18rR_P8rc[/video]

Remember they drive on the left in Australia.

Last edited:
I really like this idea of a RoW circulating on King and Queen. Back in 2012, in some other thread, I suggested something similar.

KQDirections.jpg

3 lanes of traffic (or 2+parking) and 1 curbside streetcar lane. The rotation at either end only goes so far, so that if the streetcars further out run in mixed traffic the central area is not limited by the differing schedules.

KQTwoWay.jpg

The DRL is too far out in time. If J.Tory gets elected the DRL may not happen at all because of his "smart track" plan which does little to address congestion on King and north. We need an interim solution.

I agree, DRL is too many years away away.

Here's my attempt to help with both relieving the King & Queen streetcars now, and providing a faster alternative to going east & west downtown:

An express bus line:

U3CWO1a.png

Firstly, it's buses, probably articulated buses, so no need for track work, no construction of tracks or overhead wire. With regular buses there would hopefully be less issues with getting the vehicles supply needed. This would hopefully make it faster to implement.

These run in mixed traffic. No need for the political fight taking away car lanes or re-arranging the street for transit lanes (at least not for now). Yes they will get stuck in traffic.

It should be faster than the streetcars because:
A. The stop spacing will be much wider, this is an express bus with wide stop spacing, to complement the local service of the streetcars. Since it's a new additional line there won't be a political battle to remove stops like the streetcars are going through.
B. It runs on faster roads: Richmond & Adelaide through the core, with Eastern in the east part should be faster roads to run surface vehicles on that King & Queen.

So, this bus is meant for those who want a faster trip than the streetcar. The part running on King & Roncesvalles could be as slow however. I'm not sure what to do about that.

This runs in addition to the current streetcar lines, to offload some ridership from them and provide a faster alternative.

It seems that automobile drivers do not want to share the road with streetcars.

Here's a video on
Driving with trams in Melbourne

Remember that they drive on the left in Melbourne, Australia. Wish we had their rules, and fines.

We definitely need the tramway idea (lane reserved for streetcars some or all of the time, in the absence of a separated ROW).

It's also interesting that they've had bidirectional streetcars and crossovers at the ends of lines for some time now, instead of loops.

As much as I support TIFF and encourage street festivals, I can't help but be annoyed that they will be closing the city's busiest surface TTC route for their purposes. Especially so, when John Street is right there and is being increasingly designed for such parties.

Back