News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The current black and white with small letters needs to be upgrade to a colorer that stands out, especially the lettering until LED signs can be had.
They have to conform to MTO specs. The answer isn't in signs, it's in signals, and I'll quote the City's own website on this, just to make the point that the City has no excuse to not understand what the HTA states:
Frequently Asked Questions regarding Red Light Cameras

Q What is red light running?
A
A violation occurs when a motorist enters an intersection after the signal light has turned red.

Q What if I am making a left turn and the light turns red when my vehicle is still in the intersection?
A
Motorists already in an intersection when the signal changes to red (when waiting to turn, for example) are not red light runners.

Q Do red light cameras replace police officers at intersections?
A
No. Red light cameras do not replace police officers. The red light cameras are being used to complement police efforts in preventing motorists from running a red light. Stepped-up police enforcement is a substantial component of the project.

Q Do the cameras photograph every vehicle passing through an intersection?
A
The cameras are set so that only those vehicles that enter an intersection after the light has turned red are photographed. Vehicles that enter on yellow and are within the intersection when the light changes to red are not photographed. The program is intended to photograph vehicles that enter an intersection after the signal has turned red.

Q Does someone review the photographs before motorists are ticketed?
A
Yes, trained officers review every picture to verify vehicle information and ensure that the vehicle is in violation. Tickets are mailed to vehicle owners only in cases where it is clear that the vehicle ran the red light.

Q Who receives a ticket for running a red light detected by a camera system?
A
The registered license plate holder receives the ticket, regardless of who was driving the vehicle.

Q What is the penalty for running a red light based on evidence obtained by a camera system?
A
As of January 1, 2010 the set fine for running a red light detected by a camera system was increased to $260, plus a $60 victim surcharge and a $5 court cost. The total payable is now $325. Prior to this increase, the set fine was $155, plus a $35 victim surcharge, for a total payable of $180. Demerit points are not issued with violations detected by the red light camera system.

Q What is the penalty for running a red light if caught by a police officer?
A
The set fine for running a red light when caught by a police officer is $325.00. Failing to stop for a red light where a police officer issues a ticket results in three demerit points.

Q Where do the fines go?
A
$260.00 goes to the City of Toronto and the Province of Ontario collects $60.00 as a Victim Fine Surcharge and $5.00 in court costs.

Q Do red light cameras violate privacy?
A
In consultation with the Privacy Commissioner, every attempt has been made to minimize capturing members of the public in the photos. In the event that members of the public are inadvertently captured on film, it will not be possible to identify them from the photos included on the tickets.

Q What is the cost of a red light camera?
A
A red light camera system costs approximately $100,000.

Q Who supplies the cameras? How big are the cameras? What is their location relative to the intersection?
A
The system supplier is Traffipax. The camera is an industrial 35-mm camera, manufactured particularly for unattended operation in an outdoor environment. The cameras are housed in a ½ metre x ½ metre x ½ metre enclosure and are mounted on a pole, 20 metres in advance of the intersection. They are mounted approximately 3.6 metres above the ground.

Q What other countries use red light cameras?
A
Photographic detection devices are used extensively in many other countries including Australia, Austria, Belgium, Germany, Israel, the Netherlands, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland, Taiwan, the United Kingdom and the United States. Cameras are also used in British Columbia and Alberta, Manitoba and Quebec.
https://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/...nnel=17324074781e1410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD

Someone inform Planning...

It’s come to my attention that a group of King St. businesses is planning a protest and looking for photos of an empty street and empty streetcars. I was asked to participate.

We have to be prepared that the car lobby will be organizing against the King Street Pilot. Let’s have facts ready. See a busy streetcar? Share it. See a restaurant with a lineup? Share it. Lets capture the little successes.

I'll get the ball rolling:

You can't grab lunch on King West without waiting in a lineup...

No seats available at Wilbur

IMG_3922.JPG

DPVgxu5WsAYp39w.jpg-large-2.jpeg

Forget buying pastries at Wvrst

IMG_0939.JPG

Portland Variety has a lineup for tables:

IMG_0948.JPG

Heck, you can't even get a manicure while sipping on a mimosa at Her Majesty's Pleasure during lunch hour...

IMG_1859.JPG

The entire manicure bar is full and there are people on the other side sitting at the bar having coffee, food and meetings.

Attachments

• IMG_3922.JPG
    IMG_3922.JPG
    191 KB · Views: 511
  • IMG_0939.JPG
    IMG_0939.JPG
    190.3 KB · Views: 526
  • IMG_1859.JPG
    IMG_1859.JPG
    146 KB · Views: 528
  • IMG_0948.JPG
    IMG_0948.JPG
    189.7 KB · Views: 536
  • DPVgxu5WsAYp39w.jpg-large-2.jpeg
    DPVgxu5WsAYp39w.jpg-large-2.jpeg
    156 KB · Views: 558

View attachment 128076
View attachment 128081

View attachment 128077

View attachment 128079

Heck, you can't even get a manicure while sipping on a mimosa at Her Majesty's Pleasure during lunch hour...

View attachment 128078

The entire manicure bar is full and there are people on the other side sitting at the bar having coffee, food and meetings.

How can an automobile eat a sandwich? They can't. People eat, not cars.

View attachment 128076
View attachment 128081

View attachment 128077

View attachment 128079

View attachment 128078

Well, I'm sure about this type of advocacy:
1- Many businesses and restaurants constantly live on the brink of going out of business anyway. Even the most vibrant areas of the city (Queen West, Little Italy, etc) see intense restaurant turnovers - fewer car traffic might indeed push just a few more over the edge. It's completely fine - not a problem to be solved just the nature of the beast.
2- The fact that tens of thousands of people save hours every day is a much bigger benefit than keeping restaurants in business anyway, and that should be the focus.

Same principles apply to the bike lanes discussion: Proponents keep try to fend off the claims that bike lanes slow down the cars and reduce commercial activity. Instead they should focus on that they increase safety and promote public health. If a few Korean gift shops have to go out of business in the process, so be it.

Seems like a rather premature move. Why would they back off so soon?
There was no budget assigned for it. The head of the TPS Board warned about this months ago. It's Toronto....only the unaffordable dreams of fantasy get the devoted faith of Council. What's achievable for a few $M is badly ignored.

Red Light Cameras are not only called for, Transit Project or not, they would pay for themselves, and work tirelessly 24/7 at each and every signalled intersection for the cost of $100,000 each. (Itemized a few posts back by the City's own website) Let's say that's ten intersections (it's less) so the cost is $1M.

Now figure the costs of policing (and very sketchy at that) of the present ten cops at a charge of approx $100 per/hour (labour and equipment). That's a $Thousand p/h, Ten per day (for a ten hour shift), $240,000 for two weeks.

Do the math...Obviously Council isn't, or Planning.

Last edited:
There was no budget assigned for it. The head of the TPS Board warned about this months ago. It's Toronto....only the unaffordable dreams of fantasy get the devoted faith of Council. What's achievable for a few $M is badly ignored.

Red Light Cameras are not only called for, Transit Project or not, they would pay for themselves, and work tirelessly 24/7 at each and every signalled intersection for the cost of $100,000 each. (Itemized a few posts back by the City's own website) Let's say that's ten intersections (it's less) so the cost is $1M.

Now figure the costs of policing (and very sketchy at that) of the present ten cops at a charge of approx $100 per/hour (labour and equipment). That's a $Thousand p/h, Ten per day (for a ten hour shift), $240,000 for two weeks.

Do the math...Obviously Council isn't, or Planning.

Just like the province wont let us toll the gardiner/DVP, they wont let us do this. Theyll say its too "politically unpopular" to let us make their own decisions. Blame that moron Wynne who is a political coward.

Just like the province wont let us toll the gardiner/DVP, they wont let us do this. Theyll say its too "politically unpopular" to let us make their own decisions. Blame that moron Wynne who is a political coward.
Absolutely nothing to do with QP. This is completely on Council and Incompetence, partners in Mismanagement, the organization that brings you the Mess Called King Street Pilot ("Hello, Control to Pilot, Control to Pilot, come in please...")

If anything, the Province would contribute to this if pressed and the Feds would love to, as done right, it would nail votes. But alas...It's TO tripping over their shoelaces while pulling down their short pants to make them look like trousers.

The Province wouldn't even have to contribute money, tinkering by Order in Council for the HTA alone would pique the already extant powers I've quoted prior on signals, signs and tweaked legislation if need be.

In the event, it's not necessary. See: (and the post following it above)
Here's what's been on the Ministry's books for years:
View attachment 128074
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/handbook/bus/section4-2-7.shtml

Include the green directional arrow sequenced with separate and cyclist lights, and signs aren't necessary, albeit optional. The present ones could stay. Include the Red Light Camera option and cops are minimally needed too. This would actually *pay for itself* (and show a surplus, as it has in many jurisdictions) and be far more effective enforcement.

What's not to like about that besides some posters blocking information that they're oblivious to?

Last edited:
Good find, I am going to keep that link handy.
If you scroll back, I've initially posted more links and details. It astounds me that this is already presented on a Provincial Platter, and no-one's home at City Hall to taste it. City Hall claims they're starving while the Provincial Platter goes untouched.

They're too busy begging $Trillions for the the Elevator to the Moon and Scarborough to get that a few $Measly Millions will get them one of the most successful transit corridors in North Am.

*Even if it fails*....*the Red Light Camera arrays* will *still pay for themselves* multiples of times over.

Police enforcement will be winding down on King Street this week:

https://twitter.com/to_transport/status/933783523512733696

Free-flowing King transit might have only lasted a week, but we’ll have fond memories of this time forever!

I really hate being right sometimes. When the chosen design was announced, I said right away that it depended too heavily on drivers obeying the rules and that many wouldn’t. Bingo. I said that police enforcement would last 2 weeks and the they’d just go back to ignoring rule breakers. Bingo. I really hope I’m not right about this last one: once the threat of enforcement is gone, drivers will go back to the old layout, regardless of posted signs.

If so many drivers are already ignoring the rules with police watching, I have little hope that we’re going to continue to enjoy fast streetcar times once the police are gone.

Rode back downtown from Sherway Gardens just now and decided to use King between Bathurst and Yonge to see what it was like. Tons of cops between Bathurst and Spadina stopping people, but no cops past Spadina. Heard a hilarious conversation at Portland where a lady was yelling at a cop that she's, "Never coming to Toronto again" because she's not allowed to use King Street anymore. I hope she got a ticket.

In terms of law breaking, I noticed it was mainly cabs going through the intersections and then getting stuck behind streetcars or blocking pedestrians because they were stuck. The street was still really empty at 9pm when it would usually be busy.

I found biking through the Bathurst intersection somewhat difficult with cars trying to make lefts and rights from behind me, and the streetcar interchange in front of me. Other than that, it was a nice ride, and there were a surprising number of cyclists using King at 9pm in late November.

Back