News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Many poeple here have suggested that sidewalks be widened or barriers be installed. You do know you can't do that during winter? Aka, right now.

Many poeple here have suggested that sidewalks be widened or barriers be installed. You do know you can't do that during winter? Aka, right now.

Well, that’s exactly what they are actually going to do during the winter. Aka right now (well, next week).

37F4D354-30C9-48C2-BE7B-71495749A726.jpeg

Attachments

• 37F4D354-30C9-48C2-BE7B-71495749A726.jpeg
    37F4D354-30C9-48C2-BE7B-71495749A726.jpeg
    577 KB · Views: 270
One really interesting and unexpected side effect of the King Street Pilot is how dark the street is now. All those headlights contributed in a significant way to lighting up the street. It feels incredibly dark right now.

Christmas lights are going up so that might help somewhat but I think that the King Street Pilot would be a good candidate to roll out the new LED street lights that are already in testing on King within the financial district.

One really interesting and unexpected side effect of the King Street Pilot is how dark the street is now. All those headlights contributed in a significant way to lighting up the street. It feels incredibly dark right now.

Christmas lights are going up so that might help somewhat but I think that the King Street Pilot would be a good candidate to roll out the new LED street lights that are already in testing on King within the financial district.

Have to agree. More lighting is needed to brighten up the street.

hustace_mig_longbeach_0711_1125.jpg

young%2Bvibrant%2Bfun%2BSinchon%2BStation%2B%2B(17).JPG

I'm glad to see that the pilot has the full support of the Mayor, despite Doug Ford's obvious ploy to make it an election issue in 2018. Tory could have easily called it a failure and gotten City Council to end the pilot early. He appears to be all in.

Quoting myself because I found a good reasoning on Tory’s political calculations on supporting the pilot despite it giving Doug Ford ammunition for his Ford Nation brand anti-war on the car rhetoric.

In short: there are far more transit riding voters than there are drivers. And those riders are very happy with the King Street Pilot.

Tory is creating an accomplishment palatable to the left side of the political spectrum should a left candidate run against him in 2018. He has widespread Conservative support already so he has the right covered.

Here’s an article that lays it out nicely:

https://www.navltd.com/insights/king-st-transit-plan-a-kingmaker-for-tory/?platform=hootsuite

Have to agree. More lighting is needed to brighten up the street.

hustace_mig_longbeach_0711_1125.jpg
That's just a nice picture. I was in Long Beach, CA recently and was surprised how few people were on the streets (and how many cars were on the streets) when I expected it to be an urban neighbourhood.

As you say, King between University and Yonge is one of the test areas for LED streetlights - but there are now only lights on one side of the street in these blocks; the north. I am unclear if this is 'permanent' or if they are waiting for the TTC and BIA to complete installing new poles on the south side.

The more I watch the traffic on King Street and see how few cars there are, the more I think that a large contributor to the early success of the pilot project is the use of GPS. With Google Maps immediately updating the new traffic rules anyone relying on GPS to get around is avoiding King without even thinking about it, and that includes Uber drivers. I'm not sure the King Street Pilot would have been as easily adopted ~10 years ago.

Usually take R/A when I commute by bike, but tried King St. yesterday - may be my new favourite route! Apart from having to pass streetcars it's a big, wide empty road.

Didn't see anyone breaking the law. Agree that the driver signage needs work - I was looking out for it but it was still tough to see. Can easily understand an out-of-towner getting confused.

Honestly what should have been done with the King Street Pilot was have the bike lanes that are along Richmond and Adelaide along it, and keep Rich and Adalaide as car throughways to get around the King Street transit mall.

This would keep bikers safer (less risk of a streetcar running into you as it doesnt turn unexpectedly) and it would allow better flow of traffic of cars off king.

Unfortunately the two projects weren't created together.

Honestly what should have been done with the King Street Pilot was have the bike lanes that are along Richmond and Adelaide along it, and keep Rich and Adalaide as car throughways to get around the King Street transit mall.

This would keep bikers safer (less risk of a streetcar running into you as it doesnt turn unexpectedly) and it would allow better flow of traffic of cars off king.

It wouldn't be too difficult to correct that - but it will require some give and take.

AoD

It wouldn't be too difficult to correct that - but it will require some give and take.

AoD

Richmond/Adelaide lanes are still a pilot. So technically, they are kind of being designed together.

However nice this sounds, King Street would still need to remain open to cars. There are driveways and parking entrances along much of King.

Richmond/Adelaide lanes are still a pilot. So technically, they are kind of being designed together.
People are forgetting this. There's no permanent installation on King, Adelaide, or Richmond - other than perhaps the Bathurst/Adelaide intersection (I haven't seen that yet).

The problem with King, is that it is further from Queen, for those using Richmond/Adelaide. Though the King pilot seems such a huge success, that doing the same on Queen seems to be a no-brainer.

People are forgetting this. There's no permanent installation on King, Adelaide, or Richmond - other than perhaps the Bathurst/Adelaide intersection (I haven't seen that yet).

The problem with King, is that it is further from Queen, for those using Richmond/Adelaide. Though the King pilot seems such a huge success, that doing the same on Queen seems to be a no-brainer.

YES! Do both transit malls on Queen and King, with bike lanes, and leave Richmond/Adelaide as a "through way" for cars to exit off of King and Queen and get to where they need to go.

Brilliant!

Back