Speed comparison:

St Clair & Spadina streetcars: 14 km/h
Sheppard East bus: 17 km/h
Surface LRT (Finch/Sheppard & Eglinton east): 22-23 km/h
Surface LRT (Eglinton east): 22-25 km/h
Underground LRT (Eglinton): 32 km/h
Bloor subway: 30 km/h

Source: Sheppard, Finch & Eglinton EAs on thecrosstown.ca

Gosh I can't wait to ride these things. I'm thoroughly jealous of all the people near SELRT and FWLRT who'll get to use them. I'd love to get myself a piece of LRT near my house ;)

Gosh I can't wait to ride these things. I'm thoroughly jealous of all the people near SELRT and FWLRT who'll get to use them. I'd love to get myself a piece of LRT near my house ;)

Go for some Chinese food in Agincourt. Visit Humber College. I've given you reasons to use them ;)

I think a common misconception is that the LRTs trains are the same length as a new streetcar. Each car is the same length (30 m) as a new streetcar but there can be multiple cars per train if needed.

That means several vehicles attached together and run as one vehicle with one driver.

The Scarborough LRT was to operate 3 car trains. With ATO & fully grade separated, it would have had very high capacity.

Eglinton will start with 2 car trains and move to 3 if needed. That means they can be 60-90 meter trains. If ridership is low, they can run 1 car trains.

Here's a LA light rail train with 3 cars for example:

img_88676.jpg

The star actually compared the new streetcar, Eglinton LRT and subway

http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...a_streetcar_not_a_streetcar_when_its_lrt.html

need to wait in the cold: yes, yes, no

I really don't understand why people bring this up as an anti-LRT argument. You could say the same about buses but no one is calling for replacing all of those with subways. How about checking the schedule, showing up on time, dressing appropriately for the weather? Maybe waiting somewhere indoors near the stop if you're early?

I really don't understand why people bring this up as an anti-LRT argument. You could say the same about buses but no one is calling for replacing all of those with subways. How about checking the schedule, showing up on time, dressing appropriately for the weather? Maybe waiting somewhere indoors near the stop if you're early?

If we would be spending over $300M /km on buses, then I am sure people would want to be protected from the weather.

If we would be spending over $300M /km on buses, then I am sure people would want to be protected from the weather.

If we spent that much on buses we could probably run them so frequently you wouldn't have time to get cold waiting for one ...

Aren't you the one always pushing elevated transit? ;)

And yes, both surface, elevated or any other outdoor station can have weather protection of varying degrees.

I mean, we could give Davisville & Rosedale better shelter easily, there's no weather protection at all for those platforms.

I think a common misconception is that the LRTs trains are the same length as a new streetcar. Each car is the same length (30 m) as a new streetcar but there can be multiple cars per train if needed.

Are you suggesting that the new or current streetcars can't be combined into multiple cars per train? They are all LRVs. They can all be combined into multi-car trains.

I actually think the current streetcars should be operated as 2 or 3-car trains with an all-door boarding scheme. It would improve the speed and reliability of Toronto's streetcar network considerably.

Are you suggesting that the new or current streetcars can't be combined into multiple cars per train? They are all LRVs. They can all be combined into multi-car trains.

I actually think the current streetcars should be operated as 2 or 3-car trains with an all-door boarding scheme. It would improve the speed and reliability of Toronto's streetcar network considerably.

They can't, I read that somewhere, but I don't have a link to the article.

I'm pretty sure that's one difference between the new streetcars and the new LRVs.

They can't, I read that somewhere, but I don't have a link to the article.

I'm pretty sure that's one difference between the new streetcars and the new LRVs.

When then, you read wrong.

Btw, the new streetcars are LRVs too, just like the old streetcars..

Back