News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

steveintoronto said:
I repeat, no-one is claiming that the total traffic flow is down considerably
That's not true. I'm claiming it's down considerably.
My typo, I meant "*not* down considerably."

I thought it was improving a bit actually - perhaps I'm just paying less attention.
Don't overlook the most telling aspect:
That’s an increase of almost 1,400 total tickets since the last update on the pilot project on April 6.
So much for those posters claiming: "It's just a pilot, and compliance will increase once people get used to it".

Well guess what...it's going the other way. Huge surprise there...
The rate of tickets issued has increased geometrically, as was pointed out a number of times, a point discussed by other posters too.

The rate of tickets issued has increased geometrically, as was pointed out a number of times, a point discussed by other posters too.
I think we all agree that the rate of ticketing is very low compared to transgressions. You only have to be there to see that.

Ticketing could both be up, and transgressions down. The police haven't said there's been a recent surge in ticketing - they simply released different numbers. I wouldn't read too much into that, if they aren't trying to make that point themselves - it's much more likely they are tidying up data than ticketing heavier.

And still, the higher number is only 4,559 tickets in about 5 months? So about 900 a month? 30 a day? So one ticket every 45 minutes. That rate could double and still be very low ...

The police haven't said there's been a recent surge in ticketing - they simply released different numbers.
?

They released *the latest numbers*!
Officers have handed out 4,559 tickets for “proceed contrary to a sign at intersection” since Nov. 12, police said in a news release Wednesday.

An additional 404 tickets have been issued for disobeying signage.

That’s an increase of almost 1,400 total tickets since the last update on the pilot project on April 6.

Joe Cressy also mentioned that illegal intersection crossing is increasing. Admittedly he’s a biased source and I don’t totally trust him but anyway that’s what he said.

In fact here’s the relevant text regarding the Pilot from his latest newsletter:

http://www.joecressy.com/the_cressy...ean-up_days_king_street_pilot_update_and_more

King Street Transit Pilot - April Update
The King Street Transit Pilot is about moving people better on King Street, and making the street work for everyone. Working together, we're able to make improvements as we go to continue to build a street that works for all.

Data continues to show the pilot’s success

Our bold move to improve King Street, the year-long King Street Transit Pilot, is now 5 months in. The fifth round of data, collected during the month of March, was released last week, and shows us that the early successes of the pilot are not only continuing, but things are getting better and better.

An earlier update showed us a significant increase in overall ridership has jumped to 84,000, from 72,00 before the pilot. Travel times continue to improve, both on average and for the slowest trips - with a 5 minute improvement overall in April. And, reliability remains at 85% - 85% of the time, streetcars are coming on time, and are moving faster across the corridor. Vehicular impacts have been minimal and pedestrian counts are on par with Queen Street just a block north. And, last month’s data showed that business transactionsare in line with seasonal spending pattern over the last years.

I am also continuing to strongly advocate to bring "two-hour transfers" to King Street as soon as possible, in advance of the city-wide launch later this year. This means that each time you pay your TTC fare, you would be able to hop on and off the streetcar as much as you like within two hours. By getting it on King Street now, transit riders could hop off the streetcar, grab a coffee or run an errand, and hop back on to continue to their final destination. The larger number of riders on King Street will have an easier time patronizing local businesses on King Street.

Click here for full details on all the data that has been released so far. Updated data and additional metrics will be published every month during the Pilot. For more information on past updates and our efforts to continue to build a street for all, click here (link to February King update).

Enforcement and Adjustments

In order for the early successes of the pilot to not only continue, but be improved, compliance with the new traffic rules is critical. Recently, we have seen an increase in the number of vehicles not obeying the through-traffic rules and turn restrictions critical to improving streetcar reliability and travel times for riders. After speaking with senior City staff on this issue, a number ofincreased enforcement measures are being implemented:

• Dedicated police enforcement will be enhanced on King Street
  • Data now available on locations with high volumes of vehicle infractions is being shared with Toronto Police, who will target enforcement to those areas
I have also requested that an additional enforcement blitz take place along the pilot corridor, to continue to ensure that new traffic rules are being followed on King.

The King Street Transit Pilot is a pilot for a reason – so we can make improvements as we go. With five months of data now available, the City is also making improvements to continue to build on the early successes of the project. Transit priority signals are being activated in key areas along the pilot, with additional locations currently under review for activation. This will move streetcars even quicker through key intersections, while also ensuring we're properly reviewing other locations to prevent negative impacts for pedestrian crossings, and other road users. City staff are also adjusting signal times to facilitate streetcars passing through an intersection sooner, if no waiting left-turn vehicles are present.

Everyone is King, the public realm design competition to animate the new public spaces on King, will be rolled out next week. This exciting public realm animation will include 2 destination parklets, activations all along King, and extended patios for many local restaurants along the corridor.

@pstogios : Very informative post. That's the most positive news I've read for some time. Why it's taken this long to institute even the rudimentary signal priority (an extended green IIRC) claimed is a good question.

The two hour transfers are a no-brainer, called for in this string months ago.
After speaking with senior City staff on this issue, a number ofincreased enforcement measures are being implemented:

• Dedicated police enforcement will be enhanced on King Street
  • Data now available on locations with high volumes of vehicle infractions is being shared with Toronto Police, who will target enforcement to those areas
I'd like to know more on that. I'm skeptical a budget exists for it.

There's no indication that the increase is due to a surge in enforcement
I never stated that it is, quite the opposite. Why would I wish to debase the veracity of the observations proven by stats?

That's not what the press release says. You are falling for bad reporting!
I quoted it exactly, a number of times, fully linked and referenced. So have others.

Enforcement and Adjustments

In order for the early successes of the pilot to not only continue, but be improved, compliance with the new traffic rules is critical. Recently, we have seen an increase in the number of vehicles not obeying the through-traffic rules and turn restrictions critical to improving streetcar reliability and travel times for riders. After speaking with senior City staff on this issue, a number ofincreased enforcement measures are being implemented:
King Street Transit Pilot - Update on enforcement and adjustments
posted by Joe Cressy on April 06, 2018
http://www.joecressy.com/king_street_transit_pilot_update_on_enforcement_and_adjustments

Near King and Victoria (where bike rings to be removed):
398A15FB-1A85-4F9B-BC07-9E491D1EC436.jpeg

Attachments

• 398A15FB-1A85-4F9B-BC07-9E491D1EC436.jpeg
    398A15FB-1A85-4F9B-BC07-9E491D1EC436.jpeg
    216.7 KB · Views: 697
Last edited:
3C06070F-4CC0-4D51-AE2B-CA6800E387AC.jpeg

Not very punctual with the removal of the bike rings.

Attachments

• 3C06070F-4CC0-4D51-AE2B-CA6800E387AC.jpeg
    3C06070F-4CC0-4D51-AE2B-CA6800E387AC.jpeg
    256.7 KB · Views: 407
https://twitter.com/BenSpurr/status/989625458277875712?s=19

Interesting analysis out of Ryerson that points to limitations of King streetcar pilot to improve transit in the core. https://t.co/iaID6qH0dH

According to the researchers, almost 30,000 residential units have been built within 400 m of King since 2010. The only change in service to accommodate that growth was the introduction of between 8 and 10 streetcars during peak periods.

"In other words, the TTC made room for between 860 to almost 1300 passengers to accommodate the creation of 30,000 residential units," the researchers say.

The way that's written seems to attribute the problem to the TTC, but it's a land use issue as much as a transit one. City allowed all that development without any real transit to serve it.

The researchers say there are 8,000 residential units under construction near the streetcar route, which means even with the pilot and attendant service improvements, the King streetcar will soon be over capacity again. That will mean crowded cars, longer trips and wait times.

The upshot of the researchers' argument would be that the pilot is a temporary fix at best, and in the long (or even near-term) King needs a higher mode of transit.

Back