News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

See link. How to lose more business.

King Street restaurants launch new anti-transit pilot campaign.

DUGjj9fW0AANyZH.jpg

Facepalm. Headdesk. ......migraine.....

These people kill me. I just can't figure out if it's funny, sad, pathetic, deranged, some combination of these or I'm hallucinating.

You know, this is actually quite helpful for me. Every time I feel down on myself, all I have to do is remember these t**ts and tell myself that at least I'm not them.

Tens of thousands of dollars in debt? Pfft, Mammo.
Wasted a Sunday being hungover? Pffft, DoFo.
Self-esteem issues? Pffft, just think of the King Street gimmicky restaurant crew.

I've brought this up before but has anyone asked any of these downtrodden blokes how many people living within 500m they require for their businesses to no longer rely on car-driven custom?
How many? 5000? 10000? An extra Manhattan?

Pro tip: Your business model is shite, clearly, and you'd attract more custom if you looked in a mirror and adapted your business instead of moaning about how we're trying to make this place just a little more logical.

I've never been to Z-Teca but I'm deffo going now. (The Second Cup is a regular stop....I don't even need to go out of my way for them)

I should probably mention that the only place I frequent in that restaurant row is Gabby's. Probably because it's the only not-at-all-pretentious place there and I'm a fake middle class urbanite in a lot of ways in that I'm sort of a bush man and prefer homey places. Anyone know if the proprietor of Gabby's is consorting with the Mammo-DoFo walking rubbish heap?
I'll gladly stick to the Football Factory down the road and around the corner if that were to be the case. You ain't getting my money if you're actively working against my interests.

Last edited:
I don’t live in Toronto....but no matter whether my opinions matched his or not, I could never vote for a guy who thinks this is appropriate discourse from a public official.

It’s not.

He appeals to the “tell it like it is” crowd. Polite public discourse is for p***ies.

It's sad though, that this "tell it like it is" crowd don't really like hearing it how it is when it doesn't align with how they think it is. Also, they don't take well to personal criticism in the same way they may like to dish it out. Trust me, I've made a few non-friends (even a few enemies!) in the construction industry with my blunt honesty and somewhat sharp tongue and I would characterise most of these people as car-worshipping fools. The sort who attribute to cars characteristics regarding rights of autonomy and well-being that are usually reserved for sentient beings....or at least regard driving and parking anywhere and whenever as a human right on the level of freedom of conscience.
For example, some of them include the blokes who I get into an argument with when they get in an argument with a traffic warden for ticketing their illegally parked cars.

This has crossed my mind before. A tool to keep in the box if KitKat’s opposition to this gets out of hand.

Who are you? Batman? Where do you get this moral authority to police the restauranteurs of King Street?
Not that I agree at all with their criticisms of the pilot but it’s up to the city to respond to these owners, and the proper authorities enforcing copyright laws, not people on a messageboard threatening blackmail.

Last edited:
To be honest, the hype factor is way off my scale, and couldn't help every time I saw a Kit Kat sign for the chocolate bar, how the copyright is being abused.

This has crossed my mind before. A tool to keep in the box if KitKat’s opposition to this gets out of hand.

This would be such a blatant copyright abuse, that I wonder if the restaurant got permission to use the trademark. I’d be shocked if Nestle wasn’t aware; this isn’t some insignificant restaurant in a small town.

Odd though, that they are such Trudeau lovers ...
Although stupid idiots do tend to support Trudeau, I think he gets most of his support from the apathetic and ignorant.

Somehow I doubt this guy is making more money than before and complaining about it.

This would be such a blatant copyright abuse, that I wonder if the restaurant got permission to use the trademark. I’d be shocked if Nestle wasn’t aware; this isn’t some insignificant restaurant in a small town.
Canadian Trademarks Details
Third-party information liability disclaimer
0993287 - KIT KAT
[...]

Interested Parties

Registrant
ROWNTREE MACKINTOSH plc
The Cocoa Works
Wigginton Road
York, England
UNITED KINGDOM
Current owner
Société des Produits Nestlé S.A.
Case Postale 353
1800 Vevey
SWITZERLAND
Representative for service
BORDEN LADNER GERVAIS LLP
World Exchange Plaza
100 Queen Street, Suite 1300
Ottawa
ONTARIO K1P 1J9
[...]
http://www.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/trdmrks/srch/viewTrademark.html?id=993287&lang=eng

They'll be alright with the raised middle finger sculptures though, even if phallus becomes fallacy as it melts like a flavourless Popsicle (TM registered):

‘Middle finger’ bottle design not registrable as a trademark

http://www.worldtrademarkreview.com/daily/detail.aspx?g=30d1ec39-2947-4c0a-84d4-9f2a9cf2f930

Does anyone have any anecdotal evidence if the Queensway reconstruction is helping or hurting the number of passengers on the 504 vs 501? I wonder how many people are transferring to the 501 vs the 504 streetcar.

Would be interesting to see what the demand is by the users. And would give the TTC a good indication of where the users want the service.

I can't wait until we build the Relief Line and these restaurants start complaining that nobody goes on King Street anymore because they're all being whisked underground on Queen.
The whining from Carbone that nobody is going to King West and the posting of photos of packed establishments by @MetroMan on twitter reminds me of Yogi Berra's observation on the subject of a restaurant ("nobody goes there any more, it's too crowded" - although it is disputed which restaurant he actually said it about)

Can the TTC Gain More Riders?

This seems like utterly the wrong question, because it sets up a zero-sum game as between transit agencies.

The right question would be: Can public transit gain more riders? (Or, for the moat-focused: Can public transit gain more riders in the 416?) Or even: can public transit gain a greater share of riders [in the 416]?

Back