News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Same as non-residents are banned from condo garages or military bases. Either a fob, window sticker, or a rent-a-cop.
You mean 'enforcing the rules"? We all know how well that has gone for the last few years. If the City could not enforce simple rules saying NO through traffic, do you seriously think they could enforce much more complex ones that allowed SOME people but not others. What are you smoking?

I guess those who park underground for work or shop on King will no longer able to do it anymore under your plan?

The Tower owners will be crying the blues with the lost revenues from those parking spot and force tenants to pay a higher cost to rent to cover the cost to maintain those empty spots.

Major tenant's will be threating to move somewhere else to where parking is allow. The big wigs need to be pickup and drop off as they will not be using transit nor having to walk a few blocks to their office.

To be honest I had this thought and I think there are actually ZERO parking conflicts. I did a scroll along King from Berkeley to Bathurst on google maps/streetview looking for this exact thing and only found 1 parking garage entrance at Toronto-Dominion centre.. and there is another entrance on the south side on Wellington. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is actually a non-issue!

How many people ignore these signs?

rb21.jpeg

rb11.jpeg

RB-10_-No-Straight-Through_INPS-189-67.jpg

To be honest I had this thought and I think there are actually ZERO parking conflicts. I did a scroll along King from Berkeley to Bathurst on google maps/streetview looking for this exact thing and only found 1 parking garage entrance at Toronto-Dominion centre.. and there is another entrance on the south side on Wellington. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is actually a non-issue!

Just an FYI. While I totally support minimizing the traffic on King Street to the absolute minimum possible level, there are at least three major parking garage entrances on King Street West between Brant and Bathurst Streets. Fashion House condominiums on the north side (560 King Street West), King Toronto development (544 King Street West) which is also going to serve the Revera seniors home at 462 Wellington West via an underground connection), and the condominium building at 629 King Street West - which has a large commercial parking component in addition to the residents' parking area.

Some accommodation for these uses will have to be made, no matter what approaches to further minimizing the King Street traffic are made.

Some accommodation for these uses will have to be made, no matter what approaches to further minimizing the King Street traffic are made.

Agreed.

But I think its important to add here, that removing traffic from even 2 or 3 blocks should largely serve the purpose of eliminating King as a cross-town vehicle route and in turn favour transit and pedestrian/cycling conditions.

I proposed Duncan to Widmer as a good first step

This has the benefit of creating new pedestrian spaces in front of TIFF, eliminating car drop-off on King, and showing a pedestrian/streetcar integrated space; along with providing space in front of the Mirvish venues as well.

Just an FYI. While I totally support minimizing the traffic on King Street to the absolute minimum possible level, there are at least three major parking garage entrances on King Street West between Brant and Bathurst Streets. Fashion House condominiums on the north side (560 King Street West), King Toronto development (544 King Street West) which is also going to serve the Revera seniors home at 462 Wellington West via an underground connection), and the condominium building at 629 King Street West - which has a large commercial parking component in addition to the residents' parking area.

So let's call it Spadina to Berkeley. Any other objections? I really do feel like it should be this easy.

611 King, King Toronto, and 2 others would be effected at this time with a few more in design stage.

Coming to Council next week.​

MM12.1 - Automated Traffic Enforcement on King Street - by Councillor Chris Moise, seconded by Deputy Mayor Ausma Malik​

Notice of Motion
Consideration Type: ACTIONWard: 13 - Toronto Centre
Attention
* Notice of this Motion has been given.
* This Motion is subject to referral to the Executive Committee. A two-thirds vote is required to waive referral.

Recommendations​

Councillor Chris Moise, seconded by Deputy Mayor Ausma Malik, recommends that:

1. City Council direct the General Manager, Transportation Services, in consultation with the Toronto Transit Commission, the Toronto Police Service and the City Solicitor to review and report back to the Executive Committee in the second quarter of 2024 including:

a. an update on streetcar performance over the last five years;

b. suggested improvements to the public realm along King Street until the permanent capital project can be delivered; and

c. the feasibility of implementing automated traffic enforcement on the King Street Transit Priority Corridor, including details on what legislative amendments would be required to provincial legislation including, but not limited to, the Ontario Highway Traffic Act.

Summary​

Since the King Street Transit Priority Corridor was made permanent in 2019, we have seen inconsistent enforcement of traffic regulations along the corridor. Drivers routinely disregard the regulations put in place, compromising the efficiency of this critical transit route.

The Toronto Police, especially in 51 and 52 Divisions, are challenged with bigger priorities that require their valuable time and effort. We recognize that they are committed to maintaining the safety and welfare of our city and do not have the capacity to monitor traffic on King Street continuously.

It is in this context that I propose the use of automated enforcement. This technology could assist in consistently enforcing our traffic regulations in priority corridors like King Street, without needing to divert police resources. I believe this Motion will significantly enhance both the safety and effectiveness of our transit system, and I look forward to your support in this initiative.

Does anybody know if this has a real chance of passing or if its a largely symbolic motion?

I very much hope you are right, I was wondering when someone in council would mention the current collapse of the King corridor, as the track detours seems to have pushed the 504 to a point of unusability. A Chow lead council has seemed quite able to pass good motions, especially in contrast with the do nothing feeling of Tory's mayoralty. I wonder if her first budget may further support this transit mall?

Back