8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Towered

Member Bio
Reaction score
A new mid-rise condo undergoing finishing touches at the southwest corner of Bloor and Islington, formerly a small parking lot. I think it's a flawed, but fairly decent example of avenue infill. The exterior should have been uniformly tan instead of adding that tacky deep orange on the ground level. Also, given the importance of the intersection and the fact that this is at the heart of ECC, one of the areas of the city singled out by the provincial government for great future urbanization and growth, I can't help but think that it should have been significantly taller. Well, at least it meets the street with retail...right?

Sept.1307059.jpg

Sept.1307060.jpg

Sept.1307063.jpg

Sept.1307069.jpg

Sept.1307074.jpg

Sept.1307076.jpg

Sept.1307085.jpg

Sept.1307083.jpg

The former Legion building across the street which will eventually be redeveloped into a new SNC-Lavalin headquarters:
Sept.1307084.jpg

And finally, the god-awful bus bays on the northwest corner. I can't wait for those to be pounded into dust. Bring on new towers!
Sept.1307064.jpg

yeah at Islington and Kipling station they are building quite a bit of density around those stations.

The precast should have been brick. Otherwise, an attractive building. They couldn't go higher because of the low-rise residential immediately south. And yea, can't wait until the Islington bus bays are demo'd. Should be in the spring, at the latest.

What a shame that it's only that all. Not that bad looking, but could have been much better.

It meets the street nicely. Brick instead of concrete would have been nicer, at least on the lower levels. As mentioned, it is immediately adjacent to low-rise residential areas and more height probably would not have been approved.

Hopefully we'll get some height and density, and good design, with the new SNC Lavalin building.

Perfect? No. But a big improvement over some of the other dead spaces in the vicinity.

Do you guys know what's happening with the Network Lofts conversion. It's been stalled for many many months.

Really? I thought it was just the case of it being a slow conversion: surprises and difficulties along the way.

No idea it was actually delayed.

Good to see the photos of this one. I used to work across the street, but left about a year ago while they were still pouring concrete.

I was on the subway going to Kipling last week and noticed that Network Lofts are coming right along. Thave have removed all of the external siding that will be going (only a few levels of dark brown brick remain). I would imagine that a conversion is going to take longer than new-build.

The old facade was stripped off months ago. I've seen no activity at the site for a number of months.

Actually spent some significant time in ECC recently. What a mess most of it is. Good to see the new projects acknowledging the streets in a more urban way.

They couldn't go higher because of the low-rise residential immediately south.
I like this one though I see no reason why it couldn't be higher. The single family houses to the south should be redeveloped considering how close they are to the subway.

For the area it's actually a turn in the right direction. Could be the only building in the area that doesn't give me a migraine just looking at it.

Hopefully we'll get some height and density, and good design, with the new SNC Lavalin building.

Has there been any news on what else will go on the NW corner of this intersection? I know about the planned redevelopment of Islington station, but am curious what the state of play is given the current funding drama.

A new mid-rise condo undergoing finishing touches at the southwest corner of Bloor and Islington, formerly a small parking lot. I think it's a flawed, but fairly decent example of avenue infill. The exterior should have been uniformly tan instead of adding that tacky deep orange on the ground level. Also, given the importance of the intersection and the fact that this is at the heart of ECC, one of the areas of the city singled out by the provincial government for great future urbanization and growth, I can't help but think that it should have been significantly taller. Well, at least it meets the street with retail...right?

Hey where did you get my pictures????????????????????......................

haaaa. Almost the same shot location I shot from and have yet to post.

Back