8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Towered

Member Bio
Reaction score
Something interesting has come to my attention in the heart of central yellowbelt Etobicoke. On the east side of Kipling just south of Rathburn, there's a block of roughly 8 houses in a row that are all listed for sale. Similarly, on the west side of Kipling, a couple of blocks north of Rathburn, I'd say there's another 10 houses in a row that are all for sale. I find this rather unusual since I don't believe this entirely residential neighbourhood along Kipling is designated as an "avenue", and therefore is not where I'd expect to see any kind of larger land assembly take place for densification. Anyone have any further insights into this??

.....drove by there on Sunday night; I counted 14 homes for sale between Rathburn and Princess Margaret and Kipling just on the right side heading south. Is it some kind of development? Doesn't make sense.

Something interesting has come to my attention in the heart of central yellowbelt Etobicoke. On the east side of Kipling just south of Rathburn, there's a block of roughly 8 houses in a row that are all listed for sale. Similarly, on the west side of Kipling, a couple of blocks north of Rathburn, I'd say there's another 10 houses in a row that are all for sale. I find this rather unusual since I don't believe this entirely residential neighbourhood along Kipling is designated as an "avenue", and therefore is not where I'd expect to see any kind of larger land assembly take place for densification. Anyone have any further insights into this??

The area is indeed yellow belt:

1695751978741.png

1695752085713.png

The current as-of-right proposals would allow 6s here, but only 30 unit per building.

Most of the properties fronting Kipling here are only ~30M deep, that's very challenging to do anything with that's materially vertical.

That said, many back onto properties on a cul-de-sac, and if you got both sides, you'd have some serious land with which to work.

The area is indeed yellow belt:

View attachment 509307

View attachment 509308

The current as-of-right proposals would allow 6s here, but only 30 unit per building.

Most of the properties fronting Kipling here are only ~30M deep, that's very challenging to do anything with that's materially vertical.

That said, many back onto properties on a cul-de-sac, and if you got both sides, you'd have some serious land with which to work.
Could be an early foray into land assemblies in the Yellowbelt. Makes sense they'd want to test the waters in a desirable part of town. At the very least, multiplexes would be allowed, no?

Could be an early foray into land assemblies in the Yellowbelt. Makes sense they'd want to test the waters in a desirable part of town. At the very least, multiplexes would be allowed, no?

Yes, they would, even now.

That said, odd if they are all for sale; and are they are only for sale as a package?

Found the listing.....it is for sale as an assembly, only.

Please note, that @Towered ' s child may wish to submit the first bid, with his allowance; the asking price is $1 LOL

1695769616438.png

The lots to the north, made note of by @headsupjc are an even larger assembly with an equally 5-year old friendly price, LOL

1695769941712.png

Last edited:
Yes, they would, even now.

That said, odd if they are all for sale; and are they are only for sale as a package?

Hmm, the listings do not show on Realtor.ca
The level of vagueness around this tells me only a developer would see 8 homes for sale by sign only and think it was worth thinking about for more than a second. For all we know it's already being flipped by a developer- the kind that doesn't actually build anything, of course.

Alternatively, an amateur investor of some sort might've bought these iteratively a couple of years ago while the going was good, and is now knee-deep in ~14 SFHs without any sort of know-how on how to make money on the land without selling.

In any case, we should be on the lookout for similar sets of homes for sale. It doesn't sound like these guys are trying very hard to sell the homes separately.

Does a developer already own all those homes? Are they just being rented out by the people that live there? Or did 14 neighbours in a row all get together and cook up a grand plan that they'd put all their homes up for sale at the same time in the hope of attracting a developer (seems very unlikely)? What is the maximum densification permitted here under current zoning laws? Being yellowbelt, does that mean retail spaces would be out of the question as part of any densification? They list the land area included, but then mention a "potential" land area that is much larger - what do they mean by this? Is that based on including neighbouring properties that are not for sale? If so, that's premature and therefore misleading. I have so many questions, LOL.

I grew up in this area (my grade school is right at the intersection), so I have to laugh at the marketing BS like "proximity to essential amenities" - WHAT AMENITIES?? 🤣 Apart from the church and school, there's nothing around there whatsoever other than detached houses. It's the most boring area imaginable. You have to go all the way to Islington to reach the nearest plaza, and it's a small and shitty one. Not walkable at all.

I'm fascinated by what might happen here. I'd love to see something unapologetically urban stomp on the area, even if just to drive the locals nuts, haha.

This assembly is so sexy, you would leave your husband/wife for it. This assembly is so talented that if it were an actor, it would have more Academy awards than Meryl Streep. This assembly is so popular in Etobicoke that it would get more votes than someone with the last name Ford. Etc...

This assembly is so sexy, you would leave your husband/wife for it. This assembly is so talented that if it were an actor, it would have more Academy awards than Meryl Streep. This assembly is so popular in Etobicoke that it would get more votes than someone with the last name Ford. Etc...

This assembly is sexy because it's raw; completely virginal yellowbelt. Just like any good buffet, this is AYRZ (All you can rezone); as it stands the assembly is the perfect assembly for the stand-pat investor with no plans, capital or savvy. You can buy this set of homes at an inflated price, tenant-income free, with a full suite of maintenance and insurance costs, and security hassles and neighbours who will keep a really close eye on the assembly for you, and helpfully report every property standards infraction to the City all at no cost to you.

Should you choose to rebuild here, absent hiring a private planning firm, you too can rebuild more or less what's here now, or possibly upgrade to 4 plexes, where lot depth permits.

This assembly comes free from nearby amenities and without any encumbering precedent for density or height nearby.

Buy today!

Last edited:

Back