8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
I am going to repost a few of these pics in a thread comparing LA, SF and Toronto Transit in Transportation Issues.

I've been back in town for a week since my California Tour of LA, San Jose and San Francisco. I saw a lot and came up with these conclusions:

- California is very progressive and very much ahead in sustainable transportation (surprise, surprise!) but needs to catch up to the big Eastern cities in terms of transport infrastructure. But it might be coming.

- LA is more progressive than I thought. There was a lot of interesting things, but it's still not my kind of city.

- SF is a great town, but it really feels like a small city, I felt it was quite similar to Vancouver in this way. Still, very European and dense by NA standards.

Here are my LA shots. I got into LAX around 4:30, and immediately headed out towards the beach after getting the car and checked-in at the hotel.

Venice Beach:

Venice1.jpg

Venice2.jpg

Venice4.jpg

I drove to Aviation/LAX station on the Green Line and parked there. I rode all four rail lines.

Wow. Super restrictive by-laws.

MetroRegs.jpg

AvationStn.jpg

MetroGreen.jpg

Transfered to the Blue Line light rail, which mostly follows an old Pacific Electric line. There is some street running on Washington Blvd. On a Saturday morning, the Blue Line train was packed.

MetroBlue.jpg

LA Union Station!

Union2.jpg

Union1.jpg

Union5.jpg

Across the street is the old Mission area, now a historical district.

OldLA2.jpg

OldLA1.jpg

Walking south are a few interesting buildings.

Famous City Hall

CityHall1.jpg

CityHall2.jpg

The new, bunkeriffic CalTrans District Seven HQ

CalTrans1.jpg

CalTrans2.jpg

Disney Hall. I wasn't going to pay $20 for a tour that would not even include the Auditorium, but there's a great rooftop public garden. Has a good view of the financial district and even the Hollywood Sign.

Disney1.jpg

Disney2.jpg

Disney3.jpg

Financial District

Financial-1.jpg

AngelsFlight.jpg

Bradbury Building. They let one walk up to the landing of the first flight of staits to get a good view of the building. I would have loved to ride the elevator though.

Bradbury.jpg

LA has an interesting way of positioning signs in front of major buildings downtown with a history and even pop-culture references to it (ie Blade Runner)

Bradbury2.jpg

Main St, once the street in LA, now just another shopping street. Hardly a word of English is spoken.

Literally translates to "The Crazy Chicken" (I bet, its sister chain, La Vaca Enojada, didn't do well).

MainSt1.jpg

MainSt2.jpg

MainSt3.jpg

MainSt4.jpg

MainSt5.jpg

MainSt6.jpg

MainSt7.jpg

MainSt8.jpg

MainSt9.jpg

MainSt10.jpg

MainSt11.jpg

MainSt12.jpg

Went back to Union Station and took the newer Gold Line to Pasadena.

Union4.jpg

LA River

LARiver.jpg

GoldLine1.jpg

GoldLine2.jpg

GoldLine3.jpg

Pasadena is a lovely streetcar suburb. Probably one of few places I could live if I had to in LA.

City Hall

Pasadena1.jpg

Pasadena2.jpg

Pasadena3.jpg

Pasadena4.jpg

Then the Red Line to Hollywood. Interesting stations.

RedLine1.jpg

RedLine2.jpg

RedLine3.jpg

Hollywood didn't do much for me. Full of tourists and buskers, and the Walk of Fame was a letdown, even though I expected it to be as such. Half the stuff you can find on Clifton Hill. Still, I felt like I had to see it once. Like Vegas.

Hollywood7.jpg

Hollywood1.jpg

Hollywood2.jpg

Hollywood3.jpg

Hollywood4.jpg

Oh my god! The Church of Scientology Celebrity Centre!
Even has valet parking and the occasional Cruise and Travolta sighting. Beat that, Vatican!

Hollywood6.jpg

Beverly Hills

Beverly1.jpg

Beverly2.jpg

Beverly3.jpg

Beverly4.jpg

BelAir.jpg

From Hollywood, I took the Red Line to the Orange Line transitway. The transfer is not that convenient, but the Orange Line is kind of interesting. It follows a rail line that used to be PE, and has all grade crossings with transit priority signalling and a multi-use trail along side.

At North Hollywood station (made to resemble the Hollywood Bowl), I got this pic. The guy in the leather jacket came after me after I took this pic, wanting to know why I took a pic of him. Scariest time I had in California, but he took off when I found a cop.

RedLine4.jpg

Orange1.jpg

Orange2.jpg

Warning: Bus Crossing!

A highlight was the Getty Center. Perched over Brentwood, it is an art museum free to the public (pay only for parking), with great architecture, gardens and a view. From the bus stop/garage, you have to take a tram, which makes the visit even better. Best. LA. Attraction.

Getty1.jpg

Getty2.jpg

Getty3.jpg

Getty4.jpg

Getty5.jpg

Getty6.jpg

Getty7.jpg

Getty8.jpg

Getty9.jpg

Getty10.jpg

San Fernando Valley.

Ventura Blvd. Where Homer discovers Erotic Cakes.

SanFern1.jpg

Famous Warner Studios:

SanFern2.jpg

SanFern3.jpg

SanFern4.jpg

From Mulholland Drive:

SanFern5.jpg

Only in LA Section:

La Brea Tar Pits:

Tar.jpg

Your friendly neighbourhood Bail Bonds People:

OnlyinUS.jpg

Smug Alert. Though some of the bumper stickers are good.

Smug.jpg

Mmmmmm. Donut!

Donut.jpg

Next: Up the coast to San Francisco.

Awesome thread. It's amazing how many of these locations have built-in familiarity from being the backdrop of countless movies and TV shows.

Great thread, thanks for sharing.
I agee with you that Pasadena looks like a nice neighbourhood, it looks relatively dense (by LA standards) too.
Your conclusion is very interesting, and 'against conventional thought'.
Los Angeles is usually the last place people associate with a progressive attitude towards public transportation.
I'm looking foreward to your comparative thread about transportation!

Funny story about that guy who came after you. Probably a criminal for sure. What's a guy wearing a huge leather jacket in weather like that for? Very strange.

Great photo tour, thanks!

I spent a few months in the LA area back in 2000. I had a place overlooking the ocean in Redondo Beach. Great place to visit but I don’t think I could live there full time.

Ronald: LA still has a long way to go, but there's some interesting developments, like the 700-series Metro Rapid routes, and the distinct branding. There's also momentum for new rail projects that would actually be useful, like the Wilshire line. LA has had a poor track record of building new rail lines to higher income areas while ignoring the bus riders, but this is shifting.

Jayomatic:
Yeah, he was a real piece of work. Notice too that he's just standing there as everyone else is rushing to get the connecting buses, or to the park and ride?

Terrific! This thread, and others like it, is especially great for those of us who've not visited LA, or California for that matter - lots of stuff above that I've never seen before. Getty Center looks just sublime, and damn that Bradbury is hot!

Very much looking forward to San Fran...

Thanks for the tour of LA LA land.

"A village in Texas is missing its idiot"..classic :D

Thank you! Fascinating pictures, and some fascinating architecture. Disney Hall looks wonderful and fantasy-like.

That "Cal Trans" building is certainly ugly, though. Why does it remind me of the Graduate House at Spadina and Harbord? I wonder if they had the same architects?

great tour! they got some nice old buildings in DT LA.

love that smug humor refrence.

Thanks for the trip. It's good to see all those photos of downtown LA -- it's not on most tourist's itenerary.

LA just is not on my list of places to visit, San Francisco, just because it looks awsome, But LA has too much crime, it looks too dirty, the city its self looks rundown, I dunno, something about the city bothers me.

Downtown LA looks kinda interesting... what did you think of it?

Beverly Hills... gross.

Sean: Good LA pics! It looks like you had no problem getting around w/o a car-it is good to see that good mass transit is very usable there. It is the largest US city that I have NEVER been to myself. LI MIKE

Back