News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Yes, and the one who ponied up was the federal government as Via is a federal crown corporation.Those 3 other lines were also part of Via. So, that would mean that the federal government, not a provincial government should be ponying up. Especially for the E&N and Gaspe, they were shut down simply due to track conditions, not due to budget cuts. As I understand it, they will run again if the line gets to a point where it becomes safe to run Via equipment. As I understand it, in 2026, Gaspe should be returning.

What confused me is adding the line between Calgary and Edmonton into that mix. So, yes,please spell this out as I have no idea what is meant by it.
I'll take a shot at it. VIA's corridor service serves a lot of customers (profitably as I understand) so the money benefitted a lot of people. The trackage was otherwise serviceable and profitable for its owners; the effort was to make it better. Both the Gaspe and Vancouver Island services were low volume regional services using trackage that were otherwise not profitable and became unserviceable. Other than VIA, they no longer had a reason to exist.

Quebec has chosen to toss money at the Gaspe ROW, I will assume (allegedly) for tourism reasons; I don't think there is a non-tourism economic reason past Chandler. Conversely, BC has chosen not.

I don't know about the Calgary-Edmonton corridor. I get the sense that the trackage is serviceable, just not to the level to support inter-city rail, which probably wants better speed and reliability than, say, the Sudbury-White River regional service.

Ontario has chosen to put inter-city passenger rail money into its own railway. It has also chosen to backstop freight service on Huron Central. I suppose it could have thrown money at OBR or given money to upgrade Toronto-London, return Peterborough service. It did not. I doubt the railways of the federal government would have objected.

Quebec has chosen to toss money at the Gaspe ROW, I will assume (allegedly) for tourism reasons; I don't think there is a non-tourism economic reason past Chandler. Conversely, BC has chosen not.
Absolutely correct: VIA service to the Gaspé peninsula has a future because QC doles out the big bucks. Vancouver Island doesn’t because BC refuses to do the same…
I don't know about the Calgary-Edmonton corridor. I get the sense that the trackage is serviceable, just not to the level to support inter-city rail, which probably wants better speed and reliability than, say, the Sudbury-White River regional service.
The problem with that service were the string of dangerous and at times deadly level crossing incidents. AB apparently couldn’t be motivated to spend more than a paltry million to fix some level crossings, which was only a drop into the bucket considering the large number of level crossings and that‘s how that service was „indefinitely suspended“ and that was the end of that story:
On January 15, 1984, Transport Minister Don Mazankowski announced the indefinite suspension of Edmonton-Calgary service. Eleven Dayliner accidents in the previous two years led Edmonton's mayor of the day Laurence Decore to state "It's a seedy, tacky service used by very few people. Its 200 level crossings make it an absolute calamity that has caused too many deaths." Even with $1,000,000 in Alberta government spending and the elimination of 12 grade crossings, the Dayliner made its last run on September 6, 1985. The unsuitability of the South Edmonton station, four miles from the VIA (ex-CN) Edmonton station, as well as competition from road and air travel contributed to the service's demise.

Unlike Gaspe and Victoria, Calgary-Edmonton has always been a high quality main line with ample freight traffic to sustain the maintenance. VIiA service was terminated because a) the prevailing standard of unsignalled level crossings - of which the line had a large number - ceased to be acceptable for high speed train use and b) in a province that was investing in better roads and air connections, no one wanted to ride.
Since the cancellation of service, freight use has grown and the line has been reconfigured to maximise the efficiency and minimise the cost of freight operations. It is no longer capable of accommodating passenger traffic without considerable investment in new capacity.
In that same period, the urban areas in the Province have grown considerably and there may - i repeat may - be a market demand for rail in preference to air or auto.
As
Much as that may make rail passenger viable on paper, I would not expect VIA to be able to just jump in and spend the large capital investment. Maybe someday someoone will figure out a pitch that would nake the funding appear.

- Paul

Unlike Gaspe and Victoria, Calgary-Edmonton has always been a high quality main line with ample freight traffic to sustain the maintenance. VIiA service was terminated because a) the prevailing standard of unsignalled level crossings - of which the line had a large number - ceased to be acceptable for high speed train use and b) in a province that was investing in better roads and air connections, no one wanted to ride.
Since the cancellation of service, freight use has grown and the line has been reconfigured to maximise the efficiency and minimise the cost of freight operations. It is no longer capable of accommodating passenger traffic without considerable investment in new capacity.
In that same period, the urban areas in the Province have grown considerably and there may - i repeat may - be a market demand for rail in preference to air or auto.
As
Much as that may make rail passenger viable on paper, I would not expect VIA to be able to just jump in and spend the large capital investment. Maybe someday someoone will figure out a pitch that would nake the funding appear.

- Paul
There are 16 or 17 buses a day running between Calgary & Edmonton - most make few if any stops. The trips take between 3 and 4 hours. Though I would have thought the demand for a train might exist, I wonder whether, even if all bus passengers switched to rail and they picked up a few air passengers too, this would make a passenger train service viable, certainly not one with multiple daily trips. I prefer train travel but an express bus with frequent service is really not too bad!

Absolutely correct: VIA service to the Gaspé peninsula has a future because QC doles out the big bucks. Vancouver Island doesn’t because BC refuses to do the same…

The problem with that service were the string of dangerous and at times deadly level crossing incidents. AB apparently couldn’t be motivated to spend more than a paltry million to fix some level crossings, which was only a drop into the bucket considering the large number of level crossings and that‘s how that service was „indefinitely suspended“ and that was the end of that story:

As

- Paul

So,right now, if that C-E corridor was upgraded to make it safer, Via would return to it automatically, like the other 2? I thought it was part of the 1990s cuts never to come back. If that is not the case, this does change a lot.

So,right now, if that C-E corridor was upgraded to make it safer, Via would return to it automatically, like the other 2? I thought it was part of the 1990s cuts never to come back. If that is not the case, this does change a lot.

Some upgrading of crossing protection has happened gradually as Alberta's roads have expanded and as CP has invested in the line over the past decades, but you miss the point. VIA has no ability to raise the funding to build capacity back into the line. There is only the capacity that CP uses to run its freight. The safety thing is why historically the service was discontinued. Crossing protection is only one of the investments required. The case for restoring it turns on other matters also.

- Paul

Some upgrading of crossing protection has happened gradually as Alberta's roads have expanded and as CP has invested in the line over the past decades, but you miss the point. VIA has no ability to raise the funding to build capacity back into the line. There is only the capacity that CP uses to run its freight. The safety thing is why historically the service was discontinued. Crossing protection is only one of the investments required. The case for restoring it turns on other matters also.

- Paul
A member mentioned 3 different routes that he said would come back if they were upgraded.Of the 3, this one was cutback with the rest in the 1990s cuts. The others, as I understand it, will come back once they are safe. The rolling stock exists for it. The funding exists for it. The C-E is not in the same situation, so it confuses me why it was in that mix.

A member mentioned 3 different routes that he said would come back if they were upgraded.Of the 3, this one was cutback with the rest in the 1990s cuts. The others, as I understand it, will come back once they are safe. The rolling stock exists for it. The funding exists for it. The C-E is not in the same situation, so it confuses me why it was in that mix.

I believe the original context was, the potential for provincial funding. Alberta has lately been willing to study the topic, although whether that urge sticks around remains to be seen.

- Paul

Back