News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

Well, there is a seemingly pointless ferry between Muskegon and Milwaukee...crazy ideas are much, much less crazy when there's already a shred of real demand for them.

An even better case might be the Cape May-Lewes ferry across the Delaware estuary, which also happens to connect two portions of US 9. Yet it isn't like I've heard of plans to bridge the gap...

Nowhere in the world is there a bridge of the scale being discussed and we live in a world where entire airports have been built at sea and palm tree shaped land forms have been built for housing. Does the rest of the world lack vision in not building 50km long bridges through deep water or do they simply have common sense. Surely the English Channel, a direct route between Stockholm and Helsinki, a bridge to Corsica, a bridge across the Gibraltar straight, Long Island to Connecticut, etc where the alternative drive is non existent or extremely longer than a 30 minute difference would be more sensible than a bridge to St.Catharines. In Japan where they have built large scale infrastructure for a dense population they have done so while already having built out far more important projects. A bridge it St.Catharines is something we should build it we run out of more important things to build and couldn't care less about the natural state of Lake Ontario... perhaps after we flatten out the Canadian Shield for farmland.

I can't believe this thread made it to four pages. I'm almost tempted to start a thread proposing an Atlantic Ocean bridge just to see if anyone would reply to it.

People are replying in disbelief and shock that it could be suggested seriously. Some of the Rhinoceros Party's platforms were less controversial.

I miss the Rhinos

They promised to repeal the Law of Gravity. Could have solved all our transit problems! :p

EDIT: In keeping with this thread, here's another one of their promises:
Building a bridge spanning the country, from Vancouver Island to Newfoundland.

Last edited:
I can't believe this thread made it to four pages. I'm almost tempted to start a thread proposing an Atlantic Ocean bridge just to see if anyone would reply to it.
Reminds me of Harry Harrison's comedy/SF novel "A Transatlantic Tunnel, Hurrah!".

The poor OP is getting taken to the woodshed, haha. Rightfully so though, for such a ridiculous idea.

Yes this bridge would follow that particular design.

Great! so we're talking about one of the most expensive bridges in the history of mankind, just so that we can save 30 minutes to go between two places relatively no one travels between. Where do I sign up?

Don't give me that....

It was worth inquiring about, and this is one of the best places to post about this sort of thing. If it can be done at a reasonable price with a reasonable toll it should be worth considering.

As for the Bering Strait bridge, the cost is as high as it is because of having to battle icebergs, being about 60 miles long and also includes the extra land track on both sides that would have to be built to connect to the bridge in the first place.

Just because I hate to see completely pointless threads die, I present our model. The Bering Strait Bridge!

A Bering Strait rail bridge or rail tunnel is infinitely more valuable than a Lake Ontario bridge. Currently all cargo between Asia and North America gets taken off trucks and trains, loaded on slow moving ships, then loaded back on trains and trucks. A bridge or tunnel which carries all trade between continents makes far more sense than an expensive bridge which saves 30 minutes of travel. The connection only makes sense from a cargo on rail perspective... using it as a road bridge or thinking it will be an important passenger rail corridor would be a mistake. Even still, nobody is seriously considering funding such a venture.

Lake Ontario bridge would have to be several times deeper than Bering straight crossing (And deeper than any other bridge in the world) and there is no island to break things up in the middle like there is for Bering

Don't give me that....

It was worth inquiring about, and this is one of the best places to post about this sort of thing. If it can be done at a reasonable price with a reasonable toll it should be worth considering.

As for the Bering Strait bridge, the cost is as high as it is because of having to battle icebergs, being about 60 miles long and also includes the extra land track on both sides that would have to be built to connect to the bridge in the first place.

That you responded affirmatively, with a straight face, to the Bering ref proves that you have a pretty cloudy sense of reality, indeed. Ah well, it takes all sorts of fringe crackpots to make an internet message board...

Back