News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

i went through the same debate for choosing my flooring (light or dark), although i chose hardwood.

the species is merbau and the colour seems to vary from dark red brown to brown.
it's not a brown-black tone which i think would be too dark for the space since the unit faces north.

Attachments

• HPIM0751.JPG
    HPIM0751.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 271
Looks good, cdr.

Also good example for this topic. There are a variety of woods and tones to choose from. It's not a black and white comparison. Regardless of whether you want dark or light, you can have your cake and eat it too.

Looks good, cdr.

Also good example for this topic. There are a variety of woods and tones to choose from. It's not a black and white comparison. Regardless of whether you want dark or light, you can have your cake and eat it too.

thanks UV, and as you said there are so many wood varieties and stain colours out there to choose from.

i grew up with the natural honey toned oak hardwood (ie. real wood strips with varnish typically) for most of my life, as i'm sure so did many people. as a result, that is the safe bet when choosing colours.

I have to disagree with some of the posters here.

In the past year I've been to about 15 different housewarmings. Every time the place has nice dark floors people go "wow" and comment on how nice the floor looks. Nobody comments on the floor in the places that have light flooring. I also went with a number of people to shop for condos and most of them really liked the units with dark floors. So I have to disagree and say that in my opinion for resale dark is better. ESPECIALLY for resale where you can make sure it's clean and looks good, I completely have to agree having dark floors that it's much more maintenance, it's not just the dust but little scratches will show and even foot prints can show. On the other hand, I agree with the poster that commented that it's good to know when it's time for cleaning rather than living in a dirty place and not knwoing it. My 2 cents.

fully agree. this is what the agents tell me as well. A lot of incorrect info in this thread.

fully agree. this is what the agents tell me as well. A lot of incorrect info in this thread.

I still believe that it is important to distinguish between very small places and larger more open areas. I too like dark hardwood floors and they are very much in right now. that said, in small places, dark tends to make the space feel smaller. It would be important to see if the last statements of agents telling you this as well is for homes or larger condos or smaller 500-600 sq. ft spaces.

I am not sure that stating there is alot of incorrect info on this tread is in fact "correct".

i wouldn't say it's "incorrect info" ... more like varying opinions.

to say that dark floors don't make a space feel smaller really is incorrect ... ask any interior designer.
dark floors grounds a space but also absorbs light, which tends to darken a space, hence feel smaller.

I think whether dark floors make a place feel smaller or whether light floors make a place feel larger is a bit of a red herring.

The only truth to that is that it is basic theory. Meanwhile, there are so many other variables that contribute to how a place feels. I'd argue that the number of windows and/or choice of window treatments, lighting, the floor plan, choice of furnishings and their placement, and other variables contribute far more greater to the feel of the space than a black or white decision between dark or light flooring (which becomes less relevant when there are many choices of wood and stain). I'd say all needs to be considered when designing a space and whether it will feel larger or smaller.

I look at choice of flooring completely as a matter of preference. No matter which you choose, if the feel of space is an issue that's when the oversized sofas and lazy-boy recliners have to go or the deep purple drapery needs to be replaced with a more natural tone. Even with the lightest flooring, towering bookshelves and entertainment units are going to make the place feel small.

All personal preference whether it's dark or light wood. After that, it's other variables to be considered as to whether the place will feel open and airy or closed in.

Back