News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Some of the satellite campuses are a good idea, like Sheridan and Waterloo looking at MCC, but Britannia & Tremaine is waaaay out there (and I even live at Britannia & Creditview).

WLU has acres of parking space on their home campus that should be redeveloped before any talk of new campuses. Same goes for UW: huge areas of poorly used land.
Laurier has pretty much built all of its parking lots up except for a few smaller ones in the SW corner, and some tiny ones in between buildings. UW still has to get rid on the huge ones off of University, and the smaller ones facing Columbia, but besides those, most of them have already been built up or have projects in the pipeline (all of the east campus lots will be gone in 4-5 years).

Laurier also has a campus in Kitchner (moved the Faculty of Social Work down there) in the old St. Jeromes High School building, right behind City Hall.

I wonder if this will mean public transit between Kitchener/Waterloo and Milton. I once wanted to go from K/W to Milton by greyhound, but the the most direct route was through downtown Toronto. I had to watch Milton go by as we passed it on the 401, lol so I made this map

lauriermilton.jpg

I don't know who they're trying to kid, that's not *in* Milton, that's in a field between Milton and Burlington. This is the most absurd thing I've ever seen!! Who's goals does this meet? They're chewing up perfect agricultural land, they're making it difficult to access by GO, Milton Transit, and by car, they're probably going to have to expand those country roads and spend kabillions bringing water, sewage, etc down there, and it's just going to end up feeding the car-oriented greenfield sprawl cycle. God this is perplexing. The patch of land that they traded was absolutely perfect! Right by the GO station at the center of town on a grey/brownfield lot, just the right kind of seed to help the city grow their downtown. GOD DAMN. This is frustrating. Whose idea was this trade and where can I reach them?

EDIT: They could have even worked with Mattamy to build a nice dense little neighbourhood around the station! ARRGH

this is how the surrounding area will be developed. IIRC the areas between the rail line and First line near the new site are supposed to have a commercial component as well.

miltonphasingofdevelopment.jpg

this is how the surrounding area will be developed. IIRC the areas between the rail line and First line near the new site are supposed to have a commercial component as well.

miltonphasingofdevelopment.jpg

Hey! Thanks for that. Very informative. At least it will be contiguous. But holy crap, are they even trying? Is the entire Milton Planning department from 1956? Business parks and residential do not a city make.

Hey! Thanks for that. Very informative. At least it will be contiguous. But holy crap, are they even trying? Is the entire Milton Planning department from 1956? Business parks and residential do not a city make.

I could throw a dart on that map and choose a better location for a university.

I love how the first thing you see upon entering Milton from the 401 is the Maplehurst superjail.

And on the other side, Laurier-in-the-cornfields. It will make Erindale feel like a part of the urban fabric.

As for the Milton development "plan", more thought went into planning private superdevelopments like Don Mills, Bramalea, Meadowvale and Erin Mills.

This is beyond frustrating. It really makes me wonder whether any of Milton's so-called "planners" have ever seen the inside of a post-secondary educational institution.

Are they not planning any developments west of the downtown? That seems look a good place for a university...

I love how the first thing you see upon entering Milton from the 401 is the Maplehurst superjail.

And on the other side, Laurier-in-the-cornfields. It will make Erindale feel like a part of the urban fabric.

As for the Milton development "plan", more thought went into planning private superdevelopments like Don Mills, Bramalea, Meadowvale and Erin Mills.

Took me a little while to realize by "Erindale" you actually meant "UTM".

It'll forever be Erindale College to me.

Yes, I even took a class there. The Erinjail perjorative is still almost appropriate.

When I hear Erindale, I think about train station first, the park second, the village third. I don't really associate the term with UTM anymore. I've been appropriately brainwashed by the U of T marketing department I suppose.

Back