8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Should the LCBO be deregulated?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Too bad the comments were disabled for the video. I'm sure they would have been entertaining.

Meanwhile other parts of the country are moving into the 21st Century.

Free-range drinking at B.C. festivals will now be the norm after the provincial government announced it is tearing down beer garden fencing around the province.

People at special events can now roam festival grounds while enjoying a cold one as of today. http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/04/26/vancouver-beer-garden-fences-down_n_5219279.html

Montreal pilot project will let some bars stay open all night http://www.torontosun.com/2014/04/26/montreal-pilot-project-will-let-some-bars-stay-open-all-night

This summer, Montreal is doing a pilot for extending last call to 5:30 am 3 nights a week.

Over 18? You can purchase alcohol in Montréal (and the rest of Québec). Its 19 in Ontario.

In most of the states in the United States, its 21.

Note that there is a difference between purchasing alcohol and consuming alcohol. A child should only consume alcohol at their home.

From link:

In Ontario, Saskatchewan, British Columbia, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Northwest Territories, Yukon, and Nunavut, the legal drinking age is 19. Underage drinking under parental supervision is permitted, with some restrictions, on one's own property in the provinces of New Brunswick and Ontario and at home in the provinces of Prince Edward Island and Saskatchewan. In British Columbia, only children of the supervising parents, not any other minors such as guests, are allowed underage drinking. Consumption of alcohol in another person's home is subject to other laws.
While there is no minimum drinking age in Alberta, Manitoba, and Québec, only those over 18 may purchase alcohol.

While there is no minimum drinking age in Alberta, Manitoba, and Québec, only those over 18 may purchase alcohol.

Back in the 70s, in Québec, I had no trouble being served alcohol when I was 14 or 15, and I didn't get drunk or become an alcoholic. Parents are so neurotically controlling these days. In Rome, I saw German parents serving watered down wine to their even younger kids in a restaurant.

Ad for the Beer Store monopoly...It's not THAT easy to drink underage...

I got a good laugh at the latest fear mongering propaganda ad that's airing on TV from the The Beer Store. :rolleyes:

Tell me again why Ontario has a government-mandated beer monopoly that is 100% owned by three massive foreign corporations?

[video=youtube;_OLn5QojMH8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OLn5QojMH8[/video]

Everyone: This commercial caught my eye...First-no respectable liquor store owner would dare sell to obviously underage minors because it could mean
the suspension or loss of a liquor license if they are caught...In NYS I know that the NY State Liquor Authority in co-operation with local police sometime
use young people as decoys to check on compliance to see if they are selling to those under 21...With "Social Host" laws that person selling these items
could be even liable for damages if something bad happens as a result of this sale - more then likely there will be surveillance cameras in that store that
may record this event also...like this commercial is trying to show...

With Ontario's beer monopoly dollars at stake the Beer Store will protect its livelihood where it feels that it may be threatened...LI MIKE

Last edited:
Somewhat related to Beer Store/LCBO...AGCO making it even more difficult for local craft beer start-ups to get off the ground...

http://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2014/05/agco_cracks_down_on_contract_brewers_at_beer_festivals/

Disgusting. It's very clear that the AGCO, like so many government regulatory bodies, does not, in fact, operating in the interests of the public they supposed serve.

The LCBO/AGCO serving the desires of the drinking and voting public... not.

NOW PLAYING: Straight Up: The Issue of Alcohol in Ontario

See link.

Trailer...
[video=youtube_share;3PerKiI0ctA]http://youtu.be/3PerKiI0ctA[/video]

[h=1]Loblaw faces Competition Bureau probe over ‘pricing strategies’[/h]
See link in The Globe and Mail.

Why doesn't the Competition Bureau go after the LCBO and The Beer Store about their "pricing strategies"?

Excellent documentary!

So many amazing beers we can't buy in Ontario. I love craft beers. Once you start drinking those, it's hard to go back to drinking the macro piss in a bottle, that The Beer Stores forces on us.

I was in the States a few weeks ago. With the popularity of craft beers, grocery stores down there are stocking more craft beers than ever. I counted 30 different craft beers at the one grocery store i was in. It wasn't that long ago you had to go to a specialty beer store to buy those kinds of beers. We beer lovers in Ontario will NEVER get to experience the amazing variety craft beers from across Canada and the US and even the rest of the world, as long as Ontario has this (foreign owned) beer store monopoly.

Last time i was in the Beer Store, was over the summer. I had to return my wine bottles, i pulled up and saw a crazy line up for the bottle returns. They only had one guy at the cash, taking his sweet ass time counting the cans and bottles. After about 10 mins, i gave up and handed over my bottles to the guy in front of me. He can have my $1.40. deposit. Installing automated machines, like they have in the States, would speed the bottle return process up.

After watching the documentary, I can see the reluctance ANY government in power breaking up the revenue stream coming in. I'll see if they can stop the illegal underground cigarette market first, and that missing revenue stream, before they turn their attention to alcohol.

Only three years ago...

Published on 6 Jun 2012 Come Friday morning, all across Eastern Washington, stores will once again be able to sell liquor for the first time since prohibition ended in 1934. KXLY4's Jeff Humphrey reports.

[video=youtube_share;99goRRQ2yKQ]http://youtu.be/99goRRQ2yKQ[/video]

Ah, for the old days of the LCBO... not.
liquor-store.jpg

Attachments

• liquor-store.jpg
    liquor-store.jpg
    676.4 KB · Views: 492

Back