8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Should the LCBO be deregulated?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Every country in the modern world and even most of Canada, gives you deposit on all recyclables even aluminum cans, Except Ontario. It's a special place of stupid when it comes to recycling.
Is there any value in deposit return on recyclables? It seems like a gigantic waste of time, effort and resources. As it stands now, I sometimes just put beer cans in the recycling because I can't be arsed to bring them to the beer store. They end up in the same place. Bringing them to the beer store is 100% waste.

The only thing I see value in deposit return is where the container is actually reused. If the container is recycled, it is dubious if there is any social value in administering a deposit return system.

Last edited:
Is there any value in deposit return on recyclables? It seems like a gigantic waste of time, effort and resources. As it stands now, I sometimes just put beer cans in the recycling because I can't be arsed to bring them to the beer store. They end up in the same place. Bringing them to the beer store is 100% waste.

The only thing I see value in deposit return is where the container is actually reused. If the container is recycled, it is dubious if there is any social value in administering a deposit return system.
The beer or liquour cans/bottles that end up in the blue or garbage bins means money has been made for the Beer Store or LCBO. As it is, the homeless or poor get a chance to make money by collecting that "lost" deposit.

That is also why deposits are needed in Ontario for soft drink containers. It would help to clean up the environment, being picked up by the salvagers.

Maybe the Beer Store will slowly become a return container depot for ALL containers.

Allow all grocery stores and corner stores to install bottle/ can return machines. You would never have to set foot in a Beer Store ever again.

Every country in the modern world and even most of Canada, gives you deposit on all recyclables even aluminum cans, Except Ontario. It's a special place of stupid when it comes to recycling.
I don’t care about getting my deposits back, mostly because I drink so little that a trip to the store isn‘t worth the trouble. I put my 2-3 beer cans a month and the occasional wine bottle in the blue bin.

Is it last call for The Beer Store? Ballooning losses and increased competition raise questions about its survival​

My vote is yes, close it down. My local Beer Stores are filthy, smell like p#ss, and are magnets for vagrancy, panhandling and public nuisance. I get my beer at the LCBO, Loblaws and Walmart. That’ll do.

At my local beer store we have a group called "the breakfast club". Every day they are lined up right when the store opens so they can buy cheap beer and get loaded. They come from the local TCHC building on St Clair Avenue East.

The beer or liquour cans/bottles that end up in the blue or garbage bins means money has been made for the Beer Store or LCBO. As it is, the homeless or poor get a chance to make money by collecting that "lost" deposit.

That is also why deposits are needed in Ontario for soft drink containers. It would help to clean up the environment, being picked up by the salvagers.

Maybe the Beer Store will slowly become a return container depot for ALL containers.
I support this idea. Every Timmies cup should have a $0.05 deposit. But there should be dedicated redemption/return centres rather than taking it back to your local Timmies.

So it is a workfare scheme for the destitute? That's depressing.
I don't know if depressing is the right word to describe it. Productive? Meaningful? Environmentally friendly?

Unfortunately Canadians don't have a cultural ethos of cleaning up the public realm of garbage like in some Asian countries. I agree with others that it would be good to see it expanded to soft drink containers, and to more locations besides The Beer Store.

I support this idea. Every Timmies cup should have a $0.05 deposit. But there should be dedicated redemption/return centres rather than taking it back to your local Timmies.
Wouldn't you just get people fishing them out of the garbage at TH's?

Back