39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

IanO

Member Bio
Reaction score
LDA23-0233 Windsor Park Rezoning - 116st - 88ave

CPE-2024-02-29-windsorparkrezoning.jpg

The City of Edmonton received an application to rezone three adjoining properties on 116 Street in the Windsor Park neighbourhood. The developer wants to upzone the sites from small-scale residential to medium-scale residential, which would allow for a 23-metre residential building with possible ground-floor commercial space.

J+S architects = another Westrich?
Damn once again, how deep are their pockets? They seem to be going strong on proposals in Edmonton.
I'm sure the neighborhood will react calmly to this and not lose their minds.
I'm sure no pitchforks will be raised at allll, no Kevin Taft will appear from the cracks of the earth no sir.

1709221517787.png

*Windsor Park reacted calmly*

I actually really like the idea of having some buildings around this size along 116th in Windsor Park.

If this indeed Westrich, I wonder if they’re going to get that other project across from Windsor Park school going soon or not.

J+S architects = another Westrich?
Are they
I actually really like the idea of having some buildings around this size along 116th in Windsor Park.

If this indeed Westrich, I wonder if they’re going to get that other project across from Windsor Park school going soon or not.
Exactly! . 1 under construction and 12 proposed……come on Westrich…..more cranes in the ground…..especially some tall ones….

^^Agreed. 116th is such an anomalous street, with some massive built form on the east side thanks to the UofA's engineering buildings, with the opposite of that on the west. (Only a few years ago, the LDS church even razed a couple of houses to expand their parking lot, making it worse!)
It would make sense for this particular street with its proximity to the campus to have some larger residential buildings.

A few years ago I was a participant in their 'community integration' (cannot recall the actual name) workshops to address that specific issue. They continue to work on reducing the 'island' effect and integrate the campus into the community in a meaningful fashion... which needs to bridge streets such as 116t.

The UofA has a current policy of increasing the efficiency/capacity of existing buildings, demolished some "underperforming" buildings, increasing the functionality of the landscape realm, and not adding any new buildings in the near term.

I still find it reprehensible that the UofA uses the former football field for parking and does not move forward another mixed-use student housing/market-housing/social space on that corner with a sizeable CRU for a restaurant or the like.
Yes, I don't think replacing the football field with a surface parking lot was aesthetically good or even a very good use of such a location.

Sometimes I feel like the U of A is happy to be in the city but couldn't care less about being part of the city.

A few years ago I was a participant in their 'community integration' (cannot recall the actual name) workshops to address that specific issue. They continue to work on reducing the 'island' effect and integrate the campus into the community in a meaningful fashion... which needs to bridge streets such as 116t.
Interesting quotes and frankly very true. And it's across all of their locations. Enterprise Square is a fortress with among the worst street/building interaction downtown, and South Campus is built awkwardly with Saville being hidden within the farm.

North campus is a bit better for integration on the east side in Garneau, but as far as bridging across 116th, Windsor Park residents are as much to blame as the U of A. Again, I don't really understand the idea of buying in a neighbourhood completely bordering the 2nd largest university west of Toronto, and then be upset when there is demand to build multifamily rentals for students of that university.

Back