News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I just came across this thread and I want to express my thanks to all who have contributed these wonderful maps and photos. I grew up in North Leaside, and my wife in an older section of South Leaside. (I did not go to Leaside High. That might save a question or two.) In the aerial photo from 1947, you can see the street I grew up on, and maybe even the actual house, while under construction. Our house was on the edge of the Valley itself and it was possible to slip out from our backyard into the urban wilderness pictured in a number of those photos. I wandered and explored all through the areas that feature in these photos.

I can remember the bridge that finally carried Eglinton across the Valley being built and, as a small boy looking across from my bedroom into the farmland which is now Don Mills. What changes since then! Leaside was a great community to grow up in, especially when it was still its own municipality, the Town of Leaside. I think the Inspector of the Schools, Mr. Holmes, IIRC, knew the name of every child in the schools of Leaside. Whichever of the three elementary schools of Leaside we boys attended, we played baseball in Trace Manes and then Talbot Park and played hockey at the Leaside Arena, off Laird Ave. As an aside, I think Gary Switzer, the developer who is building the Massey Tower, must have been one of a pair of identical twins I played hockey with and against in those distant days. It was nearly possible at least to recognize all the kids more or less your own age in the town as a whole. Looking back, it was an almost intimate community in the heart of what was already becoming a metropolis. A friend, who also married one of the circle of girls of which my wife was a part, called it "The Shire."

Thank you all for this exercise in nostalgia!

Anna, thanks for the link to that excellent history of the ski-jump.
This attached photo will give an idea of the location - the railroad bridge in the far background is the one at Leslie St.

Thorncliff ski jump 1930.jpg

Attachments

• Thorncliff ski jump 1930.jpg
    Thorncliff ski jump 1930.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 1,326
yesterday i tweeted to the author that there's a mistake in the article, the thorncliffe ski jump is not on the east side of the don valley, but the west side of, more specifically, the west don river valley -- he acknowledged the error, said he'd get it fixed

i also gave him the link to the posts back when we pinpointed the exact location

It still says it was on the Ontario Science Centre side of the valley - I was waiting for all the UTers to correct him in the comments;)

At the end of the article: CORRECTION: February 2, 2014, 7:20 PM This post originally stated that The Toronto Ski Club erected their own jump in January of 1934 at a site on the east side of the Don Valley; in fact, that site was on the west side of the Don Valley.

Hi,

I'm new to the forum though I've been reading it for some time in particular this thread about Leaside Aerodrome - fascinating stuff some great photos and comments here!

The discussion has gone cold it seems, did anyone ever take a metal detector to the area around the old aircraft dump site?

I combined a Google satellite image with the old map posted earlier in this thread and they aligned fairly well. Below is an old-fashioned GIF animation of this:

LeasideAerodrome_animation.gif
Click to enlarge

Sadly the satellite image I captured doesn't also include the Leaside Station which landed almost exactly where the Esso Station is at Millwood & Village St Road.

Attachments

• LeasideAerodrome_animation.gif
    LeasideAerodrome_animation.gif
    1.6 MB · Views: 609
Last edited:
thank you rick... watched it cycle through a couple dozen times... leslie street at wicksteed especially

Sadly the satellite image I captured doesn't also include the Leaside Station which landed almost exactly where the Esso Station is at Millwood & Village St Road.
just a bit east of there... maybe 50 metres...

Ya, I took the screenshot of Google maps and then later regretted that it didn't include the old Station. However if I had zoomed out more the fine detail on Wicksteed might have been lost.

The far eastern small buildings near the train tracks don't line up properly. Either they changed the curve of the railroad or the original old map isn't 100% accurate.

Looks like the only area that might be useful to metal detector people is near the officers mess on east curve of Vanderhoof Avenue. Everything else has been built over.

Last edited:
Here is an animation of the Thorncliffe Ski Jump satellite view. The treeline can still be lined up.

Attachments

• ThorncliffeSkiJump.gif
    ThorncliffeSkiJump.gif
    1.4 MB · Views: 572

Back