News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

So basically you're saying to build condos anywhere where there isn't enough condos?
Should we get rid of the don valley parkland for this?
Wall to wall condos?
again, where do you want to draw the line?

um, what?

First, this isn't a private discussion you're having. It's a forum. When you post a comment here, you're engaged in a discussion with everyone.

Second, half of us here have ksun set on "ignore" - for obvious reasons. We don't see his posts. You couldn't have known that, of course, but it looked like (more than just to me) like you were responding to Thereon's earlier post expressing support for the seniors centre. Which is why your post seemed like such a non-sequitur. Knowing now that you were responsing to ksun, your post now makes a lot more sense (I don't even need to know what ksun wrote).

First, this isn't a private discussion you're having. It's a forum. When you post a comment here, you're engaged in a discussion with everyone.

Second, half of us here have ksun set on "ignore" - for obvious reasons. We don't see his posts. You couldn't have known that, of course, but it looked like (more than just to me) like you were responding to Thereon's earlier post expressing support for the seniors centre. Which is why your post seemed like such a non-sequitur. Knowing now that you were responsing to ksun, your post now makes a lot more sense (I don't even need to know what ksun wrote).

Ignoring a user also ignores the quoted text from another user's reply to him? Because I quoted him directly in my reply.
That is why I figured you didn't realize I was not replying to you (or anyone other than ksun) from your 'umm what?' response.
But thanks for your clarification.

The software is weird. Sometimes I get a notice saying "a user you're ignoring has posted a comment" (or something to that effect), but other times there is nothing (as happened here). Usually, by the nature of the responses, I can tell people are responding to ksun. But yours wasn't so obvious. It just seemed like a hyperactive response to Thereon. Sorry about that.

So basically you're saying to build condos anywhere where there isn't enough condos?
Should we get rid of the don valley parkland for this?
Wall to wall condos?
again, where do you want to draw the line?

Where did I say build condos anywhere? Don't dramatize my words.
What I said is that I don't see why there should not be more density added to Leaside. I am not proposing tearing down all houses, but there are definitely a lot of space where density can be added. For example, is the the best Toronto can do with space 15 minutes from downtown? I see no beauty in that which people desperate want to "protect". It can pass as any neighbourhood in Orlando or Houston. I mean, what the hell IS that?

Lg-Leaside%20Aerial.jpg

Last edited:

... "I put him on ignore list so I must be superior"... That must hurt my feeling!
Just so you know, a person's post will show when it is quoted even if you put him on your high school girlish ignore list.

Where did I say build condos anywhere? Don't dramatize my words.
What I said is that I don't see why there should be more density added to Leaside. I am not proposing tearing down all houses, but there are definitely a lot of space where density can be added. For example, is the the best Toronto can do with space 15 minutes from downtown? I see no beauty in that which people desperate want to "protect". It can pass as any neighbourhood in Orlando or Houston. I mean, what the hell IS that?

Lg-Leaside%20Aerial.jpg

I fully agree that this industrial park needs a complete urban makeover.

that's an urban mall, characterized by more square footage devoted to cars than actual shops

because as we all know, people prefer to live in communities where you have to drive everywhere

war on the car, my ass

And people tried to convince me Leaside is "urban" with walkable lifestyle.

And people tried to convince me Leaside is "urban" with walkable lifestyle.

It is. I can walk to that mall, for example. In fact most days when the co-operates, I pack the kids up in the stroller, say hi to my neighbours and walk right over to any of the stores and restaurants on Laird, Eglinton, Bayview or Mt. Pleasant. What's awesome about Leaside is that we have all the small stuff, like restaurants and mom 'n pop shops along with all the big box stores. I've been renovating my house non-stop for 5 years and having a Home Depot and a Canadian Tire within walking distance has been a god-send.

What confuses me is that someone like me, who lives here, tells people that Leaside is a great neighbourhood where you can walk to lots of places, then gets a negative response from someone who doesn't live here. I mean, which one of us knows better?

It is. I can walk to that mall, for example. In fact most days when the co-operates, I pack the kids up in the stroller, say hi to my neighbours and walk right over to any of the stores and restaurants on Laird, Eglinton, Bayview or Mt. Pleasant. What's awesome about Leaside is that we have all the small stuff, like restaurants and mom 'n pop shops along with all the big box stores. I've been renovating my house non-stop for 5 years and having a Home Depot and a Canadian Tire within walking distance has been a god-send.

What confuses me is that someone like me, who lives here, tells people that Leaside is a great neighbourhood where you can walk to lots of places, then gets a negative response from someone who doesn't live here. I mean, which one of us knows better?

Fair enough. I don't doubt your life in Leaside, many in Barrie/Mississauga can do the same too if they happen to live close to a mall. However I am not sure how many in Leaside can lead a car free life. What I suggested is Leaside is not a city on its own, and its build form isn't ideal for Toronto's growth and the well-being of its people (not just the few people who currently live there), and what I advocate is that density should be added to allow more people to live in this conveniently located place, to make transit more attractive, although it might annoy current residents who selfishly want to hold on to a privileged low density small-ish life within a large city, not caring about others and the city in general.

I live in Leaside with a car. But I also bike a lot around the neighbourhood. It's not exactly bike friendly (Laird and Bayview are tight two lane roads and biking on Eglinton with construction is tricky). However, once you get to the side roads through the neighbourhood it's easy to get to the spots you want to get to.

Captain's Boil is coming to Leaside. The old Bite Me breakfast place closed up a few weeks ago.
http://www.bayview-news.com/2016/03/crustaceans-spot-will-crack-shells-soon-at-1620-bayview.html/

Here's a review from BlogTO: http://www.blogto.com/restaurants/captains-boil-5313-yonge-toronto

I first encountered this style of seafood when I lived in the LA area. It was really, really popular. Hopefully it'll provide some life into the Bayview strip... it's been looking a bit desolate with all the closed shops.

Back