News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Makes perfect sense. That is a great location for an LCBO. A block north of Bayview & Eglinton, it'll get plenty of foot traffic as well as vehicle traffic since it's a far stretch north up Bayview with plenty of residential area before another LCBO or Beer Store can be found. Also the main drag of Bayview between Eglinton and Davisville doesn't have an LCBO in sight. Great choice of location for LCBO, if true.

I don't think the area needs another LCBO as there's one in the Smart Centres Plaza south of Eglinton at Leaside (~4-5 minutes from this site). Also, as a resident of this immediate area, I can tell you that the traffic at Bayview and Broadway can get brutal during rush hour(s). This would only make matters worse. People wanting to drive north on Bayview would have a hell of a time getting out of the lot and onto Broadway, and a lengthy wait to finally turn onto Bayview.

That smart center is quite far a way in city terms so I'm not really sure I agree here ... it seems like a good location for a LCBO.

I don't think the area needs another LCBO as there's one in the Smart Centres Plaza south of Eglinton at Leaside (~4-5 minutes from this site).

That is only "close" in relative terms. Ontario only has LCBOs and Beer Stores for alcohol. Any other country, and that is an eternity away. Remember in most parts of the world you can pick up alcohol on almost every street corner. As taal stated, in city terms, that is very far.

Also, as a resident of this immediate area, I can tell you that the traffic at Bayview and Broadway can get brutal during rush hour(s). This would only make matters worse. People wanting to drive north on Bayview would have a hell of a time getting out of the lot and onto Broadway, and a lengthy wait to finally turn onto Bayview.

Having lived at Mt. Pleasant & Eglinton and worked at Don Mills & York Mills, I agree that during rush hour it's incredibly busy. However, that just further proves that it's an excellent location for an LCBO. If traffic congestion can be considered in the planning then all the better.

The new owner of the site wants to build an 82,391 square foot, 50 foot high (equivalent to 4-5 storey) retail building, which would include 2-3 ground floor retail units, another 50,000 sf retail unit on the second floor, and underground parking, accessed via both Broadway & Bayview.

The proposed a gross floor area of the lot area is 192% (149% excluding the enclosed loading/circulation area), where 100% is permitted. The proposed lot coverage is 95.7% where 33.33% is permitted. They proposed to have 223 parking spaces where a minimum of 275 is required.

They went to the Committee of Adjustment (COA) to have the plans approved as a minor variance. The COA heard the application and deferred consideration of it pending receipt of further information, such as might be provided in a Site Plan Application. For example, the Transportation Services Division had problems with the scale of the development, the driveway access locations and operations and on-site operations that could not be assessed with the level of detail provided

The applicant declined to submit a Site Plan Application - and cannot be compelled to do so. Instead they appealed the deferral to the Ontario Municipal Board (OMB). The Planning Act does not provide for an appeal of a deferral - but the OMB set the date of June 2 to hear argument on whether it is a valid appeal.

More details here
http://app.toronto.ca/tmmismonitor/previewAgendaItem.do?meetingType=Council&agendaItemId=22430

Here’s a drawing
1860bayview.jpg

That is only "close" in relative terms. Ontario only has LCBOs and Beer Stores for alcohol. Any other country, and that is an eternity away. Remember in most parts of the world you can pick up alcohol on almost every street corner. As taal stated, in city terms, that is very far.

Fair enough, but any number of retail stores could be successful here, and I'd personally rather see something that isn't already in the vicinity.

That's fair as is anyone's personal preference. From an objective point of view, it's a great location for an LCBO just as it is for a Beer Store around the corner. I'd personally rather see something else myself since my LCBO is at Yonge & Eglinton and so I won't be using the one at Bayview & Eglinton.

What else could Bayview & Eglinton use? Not many banks right there. Not that I'd want to see a bank there, but I suppose with only a CIBC at the Sunnybrook Plaza there is a market for more. To be honest, I'd rather see another condo there with retail on the bottom. The condo would create more density at Bayview & Eglinton, the homeowners would have great views, and the businesses at that intersection would reap great benefits as would the strip south of Eglinton.

I certainly don't want to see this happen, but what about a Tim Horton's with drive through? As best I can tell there isn't one anywhere in the immediate area and the franchise can't seem to lose.

There's a Tim's in the gas station across the street which is a major contributor to the traffic in the area.

There's a Tim's in the gas station across the street which is a major contributor to the traffic in the area.

Yes but it doesn't have drive through capability and there are very few parking spaces or anyplace inside to eat. I'm talking about a proper restaurant style location, not an express.

I'm sure a proper Tim's would work there. But how about a bar with a rooftop patio or a terrace facing Bayview (or Mt. Pleasant park if high enough)? Outside of the Bayview strip south of Eglinton, the closest bar to the west is the little Gabby's on Eglinton and then there's nothing north on Bayview and nothing east on Eglinton until the Shoeless Joe's opens at Laird.

The new owner of the site wants to build an 82,391 square foot, 50 foot high (equivalent to 4-5 storey) retail building, which would include 2-3 ground floor retail units, another 50,000 sf retail unit on the second floor, and underground parking, accessed via both Broadway & Bayview.

The proposed a gross floor area of the lot area is 192% (149% excluding the enclosed loading/circulation area), where 100% is permitted. The proposed lot coverage is 95.7% where 33.33% is permitted. They proposed to have 223 parking spaces where a minimum of 275 is required.

They went to the Committee of Adjustment (COA) to have the plans approved as a minor variance. The COA heard the application and deferred consideration of it pending receipt of further information, such as might be provided in a Site Plan Application. For example, the Transportation Services Division had problems with the scale of the development, the driveway access locations and operations and on-site operations that could not be assessed with the level of detail provided

The applicant declined to submit a Site Plan Application - and cannot be compelled to do so. Instead they appealed the deferral to the Ontario Municipal Board (OMB). The Planning Act does not provide for an appeal of a deferral - but the OMB set the date of June 2 to hear argument on whether it is a valid appeal.

50 stories is too high for that corner. Maybe something more like 10-20 stories would fit better with the surrounding area. I can't believe the developer is trying to get away with just a minor variance. This sounds like it needs to go through official plan and zoning by-law amendments!

And the discussion about a Timmy's makes me laugh...my friend is staying with me in Leaside temporarily and she was shocked at how there is no Tim Horton's within walking distance of my house. How un-Canadian of Leaside!!

I do love the Bayview strip, especially since I can get all my essentials from the Valu-Mart (now open 24 hours!) and Shoppers. I also love the selection of restaurants. I guess my one complaint is affordability - there are no real cheap places to eat (like a Timmy's) and there's definitely nowhere to buy clothing!!

Laird is a great, cheaper alternative for Leaside shopping. I can easily pop over there on my bike or by foot which is great. I bought my car at the Mazda dealership, so servicing is a breeze. There are also some great restaurants there. And although I absolutely hate the SmartCentres design, it does offer some much-needed stores like a Winners and SportCheck, both of which I frequent regularly. I do wish that the design was more fitting with the neighbourhood - street-front entries instead of parking-lot front, and maybe an actual use for the second stories? (Props to Winners for being 2 floors!) This isn't new to SmartCentres, they've designed a plaza in Thornhill (across from Centrepoint Mall) which has just that. Too bad Jane Pittfield couldn't push harder for something like that in Leaside.

All in all, Leaside is a fine neighbourhood. My parents were lucky to get in before prices got as ridiculous as they are now. I've noticed some changes in the area, that's for sure - more childless couples or grandparents moving in, and things are getting a bit too yuppie for my tastes. But the walkability to get pretty much everything I need - it just can't be beat!

50 feet isn't bad at all. A bit of density won't hurt this area. It's silly to have commercial land zoned for a single storey in Toronto these days.

Back