News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

From today's National Post. Although this "development" is in Riverside - I think it impacts the east side as a whole. I can't imagine the people who bought at Edge will be too happy.

A new kind of homeless shelter is to be built in South Riverdale, but some in the quickly gentrifying neighbourhood are concerned the area is already at a limit for social housing.
The dilapitated New Edwin hotel is undergoing a $5-million makeover into ‘‘transitional’’ housing for about 30 homeless, who will live there for up to three years as they adapt to permanent housing.
“We’re calling this the first step into home,” said Rima Zavys, director of homelessness and housing help services for WoodGreen Community Services, which bought the Edwin, on Queen Street East near Broadview Avenue, on April 1.
It is the first project of its kind in Ontario. The tenants — the homeless as well as those who have mental health or substance abuse issues — will be expected to pay a portion of their rent, but will receive support from on-site counselors.
The home will have a zero guest policy to help residents make a clean break from the streets, said Ms. Zavys.
Momiji Kishi, a barista at the nearby Dark Horse Espresso Bar, said chic boutiques and trendy restaurants are transforming the area, known as Riverside, and the new housing project may change its new face.
“I think it totally affects the neighborhood,” said Ms. Kishi, who added she currently does not see a lot of homeless people in the area.
Pastry House employee Saradh Arachchide said the business moved into Riverside six months ago because of the changing nature of the neighbourhood, which includes the venerable Jilly’s strip club at the corner but also the Soma martini bar and other newer destinations.
“Before, the strip club down the street was the major issue but I heard this news and I think this will be a major concern,” said Mr. Arachchide.
Trevor McCarthy, manager of Prohibition, a new oyster bar that opened in October a few doors down from the New Edwin, likened Riverside to nearby Leslieville, which has been transformed into one of the city’s trendiest neighbourhoods. Condo developers Brad Lamb and Streetcar Developments are both planning major projects within a block or two.
“[The neighbourhood] is becoming so gentrified it’s crazy. It’s like condo condo condo, new businesses, it’s all hot property,” said Mr. McCarthy. “There is a certain element in this area that is slowly being filtered out.’’
Saeed Mohamed opened the Burger Shoppe a few doors down from the New Edwin about a year ago and said he had no problem with the transitional housing site, so long as it didn’t bring more such projects to the area.
“Social housing is definitely needed in the area. But there’s a limit to it. We’re probably pushing the maximum capacity here,” he said. The neighbourhood currently houses many social agencies and is also home to Don Mount Court, a public housing project being demolished in favour of a mixed-income development that includes public housing.
Beata Brutovska, owner of Ambiance Chocolat, a new boutique selling original chocolates, said it was the mixed character of the neighborhood that originally attracted her to the area.
“We liked the neighborhood for its eclecticity,” she said.
Ms. Brutovska said the mixed incomes give the community a nice balance. “I think we co-exist nicely, I’ve never had any problems,” she said, adding that there was one particular homeless person she said hello to every day.
The New Edwin, originally built at the turn of the century, was last owned by a private landlord who let rooms at monthly and weekly rates and housed up to 56 low-income men.
The new homeless facility will hold 28-30 individual units, each with a bathroom, kitchenette and sleeping area. Nearly $4-million in government funding will help pay for the renovations.
The tenants will be referred by Toronto’s Streets to Homes program, and must display a willingness to get off the streets, said Ms. Zavys.

New Edwin reno

The Toronto Sun had a surprisingly favourable review of this reno on yesterday's cover.

My wife is completely negative. As a businesswoman on the Riverside strip, the last thing she wants is more social housing -- particularly in a building that could have been an absolute jewel of a renovated condo/retail/hotel/offices.

I'm more neutral. $4-5M is going to go a long way in cleaning up a very dilapidated structure, and (as long as they don't ruin it with some 'practical' addition) the building should clean up very nice. Hopefully, the strict rules will help the ex-homeless make their transition, but why would you put this within a block of easy crack? Wouldn't you want less temptation?

Nothing 'typical' about my wife!

...but has no problem with a hi-rise, 7 floors over the zoned limit, in my back yard.
Typical.

'Mercurial' or 'fabulous' or 'babelicious' would be better descriptors. What'd she ever do to you?

I don't know where you live, but that sounds like a whinge about Leslieville Lofts, Flatiron Lofts, or Work Lofts. Correct me if I'm wrong. And, since all of those projects are great looking new construction replacing unbelievably crappy auto repair shops or gas stations... yeah, she probably likes the idea of new customers and beautiful buildings. I know I do.

SPEAK OUT: CAN GOVERNMENT MAKE A DIFFERENCE?
ONTARIO JOBS AND WAGES GOING 'GREEN'

Strategies to replace vanishing blue-collar manufacturing work:

Regulation and unionization

• Ensure paid work covered by employment standards law.

• Hire 100 more provincial labour inspectors; inspect 25 per cent of workplaces annually; beef up fines for violators.

• Remove barriers to unionization by allowing organizing by occupation and restoring card check certification to all sectors.

Investing in public goods and services

• Resist pressure to privatize health care, education jobs.

• Invest in public infrastructure to improve communities and create jobs.

• Raise qualifications and wages in the social service sector.

Growing the green economy

• Replace blue collar jobs with "green collar" employment.

• Provide a market for local green industries by beefing up environmental protection laws.

• Ensure provincial procurement for green energy and transportation projects.

wtf is green collar? Who makes this stuff up? Why is unionization automatically more "green" than, say, self-employment or non-unionized work? Raising wages has nothing specific to do with being green either. More ardent greenies would even argue that it leads to ungreen consumption.

Sounds like another case of feel-good greenwashing.

wtf is green collar? Who makes this stuff up? Why is unionization automatically more "green" than, say, self-employment or non-unionized work? Raising wages has nothing specific to do with being green either. More ardent greenies would even argue that it leads to ungreen consumption.

Sounds like another case of feel-good greenwashing.

Well, maybe not entirely... Of course you're correct that being unionized does not necessarily transition blue collar into green collar, but I think it's safe to say that most unions have a social conscience and that being ecologically aware is part and parcel of it. It's just part of the union culture. Some unionized industries, such as the film industry have a relatively small carbon footprint, and utilize "best practices" to continually work toward lowering the environmental impact of film making.

From Wikipedia

Green-collar worker

A green-collar worker is a worker who is employed in the environmental sectors of the economy, or in the agricultural sector. Environmental green-collar workers satisfy the demand for green development. Generally, they implement environmentally-conscious design, policy, and technology to improve conservation and sustainability. Formal environmental regulations as well as informal social expectations are pushing many firms to seek professionals with expertise with environmental, energy efficiency, and clean renewable energy issues. They often seek to make their output more sustainable, and thus more favorable to public opinion, governmental regulation, and the Earth's ecology.

Green collar workers include professionals such as conservation movement workers, environmental consultants, environmental or biological systems engineers, green building architects, holistic passive solar building designers, solar energy and wind energy engineers, green vehicle engineers, organic farmers, environmental lawyers, ecology educators, and ecotechnology workers. They also include vocational or trade-level employment: electricians who install solar panels, plumbers who install solar water heaters, and construction workers who build energy-efficient green buildings, wind power farms, or other clean, renewable, sustainable future energy development workers could all be considered green jobs.

3 years later, media finally recognizes link between 629 rezoning and FilmPort

How waterfront dream became a misty memory

May 16, 2008 - TheStar.com

Christopher Hume

How appropriate that it took a group of architects from Denmark to remind us that there's something rotten in the state of the Toronto waterfront.

The quartet was in town this week to talk about its projects, including those on the waterfronts of Liverpool, Amsterdam and Copenhagen. The firms represented have designed opera houses, museums and concert halls – "magnets," they called them – intended to attract people to those cities' newly revitalized harbourlands.

In Toronto, meantime, after seven years of painful effort, we have a condo or two in the works, an energy plant, a film studio and an office building.

But as the Danes made clear, their projects are each conceived as part of a larger campaign to return former industrial lands to residents. In Toronto, by contrast, we seem to be moving from one industrial model to another.

The Filmport project is the most revealing of how things work in this city. Here's what insiders say has happened:

First of all, let's deal with TEDCO (Toronto Economic Development Corp.), an arm's-length city agency responsible for redeveloping city-owned land, much of that on the waterfront. TEDCO president Jeff Steiner, who apparently answers to no one, least of all the citizens in whose name the land is owned, made a deal with Rose Corp. several years ago that gave them 20 hectares (twice the space they need) to build Filmport. That land is on the north shore of the shipping channel, which has the potential to become the most desirable residential neighbourhood in Toronto.

Because no one has ever seen the contract, insiders fear that Steiner negotiated a sweetheart deal with Filmport and its majority owner, Rose Corp., complete with a 99-year lease and a no-compete clause.

Rose also owns the 7.2-hectare site on Eastern Ave. where its film studios were formerly located. That's the same site where Rose and its new partner, SmartCentres, want to build a mammoth mall potentially anchored by Wal-Mart. This despite the express wishes of city council and residents.

It's unlikely the mall proposal would have happened if Steiner had not arranged the Portlands deal that left Rose with the waterfront site.

Insiders also say that by giving Rose much more land than it requires, TEDCO has paved the way for Rose itself to get into the waterfront condo-building business in the future. The city has zoned the land for "other uses," which means it doesn't have to be part of the studio complex.

Film studio president Ken Ferguson immodestly calls his scheme "visionary." And from his and his masters' point of view, it may well be. But this should not be confused with waterfront revitalization.

Indeed, staff at Waterfront Toronto, the corporation charged with overseeing waterfront revitalization, make no secret of their frustration with Steiner. But they say there was nothing they could do when Filmport was approved years ago.

Since then, as Mayor David Miller points out, the city has taken away TEDCO's power to make deals with its waterfront property.

Miller, who sits on the board of Waterfront Toronto, defends Filmport, but not TEDCO.

"TEDCO is under review," he said testily. "I don't know when that will be ready. We have already removed its authority on the waterfront. But I don't buy fiddling with the location of Filmport. It will bring excitement to the shipping channel."

That's hard to accept. Clearly, the mayor has never seen any of the drawings from a study of what could be done with housing along the shipping channel. It has the potential to rival Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Copenhagen or Stockholm.

Not now, of course. That dream is over.

Christopher Hume can be reached at chume@thestar.ca

The link to the above TO Star article is here. It's a new day when The Star begins to connect the dots: the mainstream press is finally speaking the truth. Is this the dawning of a new age of responsible reportage and public accountability? Will TEDCO's coming public humiliation lead to a groundswell of public awareness and scrutiny which may even erode its way into the OMB, seeping through cracks in its armour, forcing it to render a just and publicly responsible decision on the fate of the Eastern Ave. lands? Maybe our waterfront will never be as grand as Chicago's or Amsterdam's, but if we can reverse the trend there may yet be hope. Keeping out SmartCentres and similar retail developments, plus the ensuing vehicular traffic would be a giant step in the right direction.

I've been staying out of the SmartCentre discussion - not having a lot of the details, and finding it hard to see anything written about it that is balanced.

I see a lot of information here about the proposed retail. But what about the other aspects of the site? Office space? Residential? What's the breakdown of this?

100% Retail

I've been staying out of the SmartCentre discussion - not having a lot of the details, and finding it hard to see anything written about it that is balanced.

I see a lot of information here about the proposed retail. But what about the other aspects of the site? Office space? Residential? What's the breakdown of this?

And huge. That's what got everybody's knickers in knots.

More information sources...

There's a huge amount of information in various locations.

The OMB case page lists all the formal pre-hearings so far and links to the decisions that were handed down.

The most recent decision gives a flavour of the kind of legal arguments that go on at an OMB hearing; it also gives an overview of some of the legal battles to date, which have centered on whether the site-specific appeals for the TFS development should be consolidated with the appeals of the City's plans for the whole "South-of-Eastern" area: the OMB has decided that they should, which will mean the site-specific arguments will be based on the pre-amalgamation City plan, while the arguments about the area around it will reference the new, post-amalgamation City plan.:rolleyes:

As crazy as it sounds, this consolidation of appeals is really the only intelligent way to proceed if a fractured neighbourhood planning outcome of this particular OMB hearing is to be avoided, but in the legalistic context that prevails in an OMB hearing it might lead to some pretty arcane arguments, very few having much to do with actual planning on the ground.

But this is Serious City Planning, Ontario Style, it is too important to be left to the city, its planners and the public, there must be Provincial Oversight, and it must be in the form of a Tribunal, so that everyone is suitably impressed by the Power On Display and governs themselves accordingly! Is it any wonder that the City's planning department apparently has recruiting and personnel retention problems? I wonder if any graduating urban planner would seriously consider beginning their career in Ontario under these conditions, where so much time is spent preparing for the OMB?

I'm not sure if increased preliminary consultation between project developers and the City before requesting planning changes is really the answer either: if recourse to the overriding power of the OMB is always possible, and the project's financial upside sufficiently alluring, where is the incentive to do a project differently, more cooperatively with local planning objectives? And for the planners: if the only way to win at the OMB is to present a case showing complete consistency with existing plans, what incentive to innovate or introduce small-scale changes that encourage fine-grained mixed neighbourhood we all generally want to live in?

But back to the information sources...

Wood & Bull, the Smart!Centres legal counsel have put all the consultant reports they were required to submit to the City last year on their website.

Relevant City planning and other documents can be found using various keyword searches, such as the location of Toronto Film Studios: 629 633 675 eastern; the secondary plan for the area in discussion, "south of eastern" planning study, all sorted by date.

Smart!Centres have their own propaganda site for the "Foundry District", with the current site plan for the glorious future of shopping in South Riverdale.

The local opponents have their own sites: East Toronto Community Coalition, the Toronto-Danforth Federal Green Party Association, a pretty lively debate on a Yahoo discussion group, etc.

Some Google searches: (leslieville OR riverdale) smartcentres, "toronto film studios" smartcentres

This should keep information addicts busy...

Thanks IRN

Here is another piece from the Globe, Toronto Section:

LESLIEVILLE MALL
Developer woos ward to avoid OMB hearing

JAMES RUSK

May 17, 2008

The developer of a controversial east-end shopping mall has approached the city with a proposal aimed at avoiding a costly Ontario Municipal Board hearing over the project, but so far has been rebuffed.

"Everyone on the other side knows the themes we are talking about, but we have had no meaningful conversation back from the city," Tom Smith, vice-president of development at SmartCentres Inc., which wants to build a $220-million shopping mall in Leslieville, said in an interview.

Next Wednesday, the OMB is to begin a hearing on the SmartCentres plan to build the mall on a 7.5-hectare site on Lake Shore Boulevard east of Pape Avenue. With such a hearing looming, municipalities often try to reach last-minute agreements on projects.

"The time for a settlement would actually be now," Mr. Smith said.

He said SmartCentre employees have fanned out in the neighbourhood to knock on doors and explain the project.

The canvassers found about 20 per cent of people opposed it, 30 to 40 per cent supported it and the remainder were neutral, Mr. Smith said. He said the canvassing turned up three main concerns: job opportunities, street improvements and environmental sustainability.

SmartCentres hired a consultant who has proposed changes to make the mall greener, and it is prepared to make improvements on adjacent streets.

"The third package of things we could do relates to jobs and reducing youth unemployment in this area, by working with social [services] providers such as WoodGreen [Community Centre] or others about apprenticeship programs and local-jobs-first job fairs for all the opportunities in the site. That's 2,000 jobs," Mr. Smith said.

City lawyer John Payton said SmartCentres' offer is a "non-starter" because the mall is a retail project on lands zoned for other employment uses, and because the developer is not proposing changes to the physical form of the project.

Mr. Smith said the company has been talking to most council members, but because councillors tend to treat the project as a ward issue, the key councillor is Paula Fletcher. She has led the opposition to the development, which would be at the south end of her ward.

"We still believe we will be able to find common ground with the local councillor," he said.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20080517.LESLIEVILLE17/TPStory/TPNational/Ontario/

AoD

Sat, May 17, 2008
Leslieville's big-box battle
Retail giant vs the city at OMB

By SARAH GREEN, CITY HALL BUREAU

Signs proclaim "No Big Box in Leslieville" from windows of stores and homes across the east-end neighbourhood.

Behind the protests is a long simmering dispute between SmartCentres, which wants to build a $200-million retail complex in the neighbourhood and the city.

The fight over the future of 7.5 hectares of land between Lake Shore Blvd. and Eastern Ave., just east of Pape Ave., goes to a showdown next Wednesday with the start of a 12-week hearing at the Ontario Municipal Board, where SmartCentres has appealed the city's refusal to rezone the lands.

"It's been very contentious," said local councillor Paula Fletcher.

A rally last month drew more than 300 residents concerned the large retailer would bring 7 million cars through their neighbourhood and shutter local businesses.

"This would destroy (the area) in the minds of my community," Fletcher said. "It's not a planning argument, but it's a very real life argument for people that live in the neighbourhood."

The property, now home to Toronto Film Studios which are moving to the nearby portlands, is designated as employment land.

"We're looking for value-added jobs, not minimum-wage, part-time jobs," Fletcher said.

A retail job is worth $30,000 to the city's economy while a value-added job in the film or IT sector is worth $106,000, she said.

"We're looking at hundreds of millions of dollars lost if we would simply allow this to go to retail."

SmartCentres officials say the plan creates jobs -- 1,800 when the shovels hit the ground as early as the fall of 2009 and 2,000 positions worth $40- to $60-million when the stores open in the 65,000-square-metre complex in 2011.

The plans are unlike suburban big box stores, SmartCentres v-p Tom Smith said. They call for two- and three-storey buildings, separated by a pedestrian walkway, sidewalk storefronts and 1,700 parking spaces tucked out of sight.

Wal-Marts typically anchor a SmartCentres development.

http://torontosun.com/News/TorontoAndGTA/2008/05/17/5595026-sun.html

On another front...

Parkdale-High Park MPP wants OMB reform
BY LISA RAINFORD
MAY 8, 2008 12:14 PM

(Parkdale-High Park) MPP Cheri DiNovo ...would like to see the Ontario Municipal Board's (OMB) authority reformed...

The local politician has tabled a motion advocating that the powers of the OMB be curtailed so that it can no longer railroad over decisions made by the democratically-elected Toronto city council.

The city's Official Plan is constantly being manipulated by the OMB, DiNovo said. It consistently rules in favour of large developers rarely taking into account the concerns of local residents and ratepayers' associations.

"A city the size of Toronto should have an in-house appeal system," DiNovo said.

This is not a new motion for DiNovo. She tabled a similar one last year in reaction to what the NDP considered "backwards planning decisions" made for the Queen West Triangle area. Even though DiNovo and her colleague NDP MPP Michael Prue were supported by architects, urban designers and community leaders, their efforts were not successful.

It's up to the province to fix this, she said.

"The Premier and the Minister of Municipal Affairs should no longer ignore the voices and concerns of community activists and residents who are being drowned out by the OMB's pro-developer bias," said DiNovo.

DiNovo has renewed her calls to reform the authority of the OMB. She is urging the Liberal government to pass the motion, which she said has been sitting on the order paper since March.

http://www.insidetoronto.ca/News/Villager/article/47492

This should keep information addicts busy...
Perhaps one of those information addicts can simply do a breakdown of how many metres² there are of retail, offices, and residential in the thing then.

My gut reaction, after seeing some of Smart Centres work elsewhere (that new mall on Eglinton East) is very negative. But I could be swayed if the project seems reasonable.

Back