News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Wow, 299. That rendering/reality post totally settled this for me. This is the wrong project in the wrong location by the wrong developer.

There was an article yesterday in the Star about people in Mount Dennis watching this OMB case closely, as they want to preserve the employment lands vacated by Kodak and other industries.

The consequences of this are city-wide. I don't think it should be left to "Neighbourhood Node".

There was an article yesterday in the Star about people in Mount Dennis watching this OMB case closely, as they want to preserve the employment lands vacated by Kodak and other industries.

The consequences of this are city-wide. I don't think it should be left to "Neighbourhood Node".

Strongly disagree. These battles are fought on the ground, at a grassroots level, one neighbourhood at a time. We'll interpret the commonality of issues for ourselves. Put this thread back where it belongs before you destroy its momentum. It wasn't broke and you fixed it anyway. Error.

Neighbourhood Node was designed to have neighbourhood-level threads for specifically local discussions. There's a lot of interest in this, and there's a lot at stake here.

Threads are moved around all the time here to be put in their more appropriate place.

I kept all the discussion on this project together, so I don't see how this will lose momentum. I expect that there will likely be more interest now as it is in a sub-forum dealing with entire city issues.

Letter in the Star yesterday
Leslieville case will set example

Jun 02, 2008 04:30 AM
Re:Is retail best for this area?

Comment, May 30

We in Mount Dennis and Weston are glad the City of Toronto is trying to preserve "employment lands" for well-paying, non-retail jobs in Leslieville's development.

I have witnessed the flight of many large and small businesses from our community. The lands were converted to housing or retail and can never be employment lands again. After 30 years of deindustrialization, our community is now the poorest in Toronto, and the dearth of good jobs is a large part of the reason. We're glad the city and the Leslieville community are taking such a principled stand, because whatever happens with the Ontario Municipal Board decision will affect other industrial lands.

Our neighbourhood is home to the former Kodak site, which includes 22 hectares that are waiting to be developed. The owners consulted us last year with the prospect of yet another retail mall. It is in a designated employment area in the official plan. The city is working very hard with us to keep this site industrial and renew the local employment base with a range of good jobs.

Our vision is to move toward the green economy, and we want to see our employment area become a place where innovation in manufacturing and technology can happen. We have heard that the Kodak site's owners are willing to consider industrial development. But if the OMB overrules the city and decides retail is a good use of employment lands in Leslieville, we fear they may go with their original plans.

Are we losing control of our neighbourhoods to the OMB, a small group of political appointees?

Marabelle McTavish, Co-Chair, Mount Dennis Weston Network, Toronto

Neighbourhood Node was designed to have neighbourhood-level threads for specifically local discussions. There's a lot of interest in this, and there's a lot at stake here.

Threads are moved around all the time here to be put in their more appropriate place.

I kept all the discussion on this project together, so I don't see how this will lose momentum. I expect that there will likely be more interest now as it is in a sub-forum dealing with entire city issues.

And the good people of Leslieville / The Film District will do what now that you've gutted their thread? For what it's worth, Neighbourhood Node was a suggestion made to UrbanToronto by me, and i was the first to post to it. It's been working very well and I've enjoyed contributing until now. Frankly, I don't visit any other areas of your site. If you're going to take the contributions made by people concerned about defining their neighbourhoods, and redirect their posts according to your agenda, without any thought given to their prior participation, then what's the point of any of us posting anything here concerning our respective neighbourhoods?

Alley Kat...are you aware that Toronto Issues is a FAR higher trafficked area than Neighbourhood Node?

Sean isn't trying to gut anything. Actually, quite the opposite. Threads get moved and re-named everyday. This isn't something new.

Your opinions will be considered nontheless.

Alley Kat...are you aware that Toronto Issues is a FAR higher trafficked area than Neighbourhood Node?

Sean isn't trying to gut anything. Actually, quite the opposite. Threads get moved and re-named everyday. This isn't something new.

Your opinions will be considered nontheless.

Out of the hundreds of threads in the Toronto Issues category, the (renamed) Leslieville / Film District thread has the fifth most views, at 9,996. It obviously had legs of its own where it was with its neighbours. My point is that this is an online neighbourhood and even though I'm appreciative of those who host this site, the Neighbourhood Node was unique. The Leslieville / Film District neighbourhood thread has been bulldozed and is now an empty lot with only 8 views. You've accomplished here what SmartCentres and retail will do to Leslieville's culture...

Maybe that's a little harsh, but is there any way you can set this forum software to have a thread appear in two categories simultaneously? That might be a win win.

Chances are SmartCentres is feeling the impact of the future demo of the east Gardiner
-
Their intention is to bring the Gardiner down to street level at Jarvis. The remaining eastbound elevation would be torn down and replaced with an eight-lane “grand boulevard†akin to University Avenue. The project will open up the skyline completely and, Waterfront Toronto believes, increase the value of the adjacent lands. (I’m not so sure. Expressways have value. As Mitch Goldhar, the owner of SmartCentres, once told me, “Outside the downtown financial district, if you took any development, anywhere in Toronto, and relocated it beside to the 401, it would be worth more.†Wonder how Smart Centres feels about this announcement, given his plans to build a car-happy mall in Leslieville.)

http://www.torontolife.com/blog/cit...are-reasons-keep-gardiner-and-they-dont-all-/

Leslieville/Studio District II -- local and retro

For Alley Cat et al. -- I agree that a 'nabe thread for non-shopping centre posts is essential!

As a start, and a shout out to the Filmies -- what's Flashpoint? (Filming in the lamentedly gone catering/jazz/Sunday Brunch space on Carlaw.)

For Alley Cat et al. -- I agree that a 'nabe thread for non-shopping centre posts is essential!

As a start, and a shout out to the Filmies -- what's Flashpoint? (Filming in the lamentedly gone catering/jazz/Sunday Brunch space on Carlaw.)

Flashpoint is an upcoming Canadian police drama television series scheduled to debut on July 11, 2008 on CTV and CBS.[1] Flashpoint is the official title of the show [2] while Sniper and Critical Incident were former working titles. The original 2007 pilot for the series was filmed using the Critical Incident title and Sniper was used when CTV originally announced the series in late December 2007.

Read on....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flashpoint_(TV_series)

Development and DVP fate linked

The develppment of leslieville has already lead to the proposed dismantling of the DVP ramp to the Gardiner - which is equivalent to the dismantling of the only existing rink road of Toronto. Less not allow the develpment of the big box stores and save the hundreds of thousands of TO residences from losing this vital transportation link.

Sell City hall and develop leslieville

If the mayor wants to develop the Leslieville, we should have the mayor to move his office there first and the city should sell the existing hall to raise money to build an underground tunnel joining the DVP and Gardiner.

Too funny!

Flashpoint is an upcoming Canadian police drama television series scheduled to debut on July 11, 2008 on CTV and CBS.[1] Flashpoint is the official title of the show [2] while Sniper and Critical Incident were former working titles. The original 2007 pilot for the series was filmed using the Critical Incident title and Sniper was used when CTV originally announced the series in late December 2007.

Read on....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flashpoint_(TV_series)

I must admit that the fact that a not-yet-aired Canadian action series has a Wikipedia site made me laugh aloud. Good luck, and I'll be watching for it.

Man -- Ms. Morgenstern has gone in a completely different direction from her turns as the ingenue for TfT...

Trekker -- need your help

You need to edit these posts. Incomprehensible right now.

The shopping centre and the DVP ramps aren't part of the same conversation (except that the latter's dismantling might have a negative impact on projected sales, as pointed out in an earlier post). Are you conflating the two?

Back