News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Nobody can stop the closing of the Eastern Ave. studio. TFS isn't interested in operating one and it won't allow a new owner to operate one at that location.

Has Mr. Ferguson or Mr. Reisman ever stated this categorically? Props to them if they were to sell the property back to Cinespace (for example ;)) and help ensure a healthy future for the film business.

If you look at the Toronto film industry as a jigsaw puzzle of a royal crown, Filmport added to the picture is the final piece of the puzzle, the jewel in the crown. Removing the Eastern Ave. studios from the equation is tantamount to putting the puzzle back into the box and starting over without all the pieces.

McGuinty promises new auto assembly plant

The same Dalton McGuinty who refused to motivate his government to declare a provincial interest in the SmartCentres fiasco to save the 25,000 film industry jobs jeopardized by the eradication of the film studios. The film industry gets nothing, the auto industry.... hundreds of millions of dollars of public funding to save a thousand automotive jobs.

McGuinty promises new auto plant

THE CANADIAN PRESS

Apr 29, 2008

Despite the latest round of layoffs at General Motors and slumping car sales, Premier Dalton McGuinty is promising Ontario will get a new auto assembly plant.

McGuinty says Ontario is still willing to invest with automakers to secure jobs, despite GM's decision to eliminate nearly 1,000 jobs at an Oshawa plant in which the province invested $235 million.

thestar.com

Hey, why not. It worked for Richard Hatfield in the 70s.
B34378-2.jpg

Sorta

Only if you see Provincial investments that lose millions of dollars as a good thing.

Still, the political world got a lot quieter when Disco Dick kicked the bucket.

HEATHER MALLICK
Cheap and convenient come at a cost
April 28, 2008

Last night I dreamt I went to Wal-Mart again. And I was happy there.

This worried me because the day before, I had gone to a Wal-Mart for the first time in my life, my real life, and I was badly frightened. I was checking out the store — sorry, industrial hangar exoskeleton — because developers want to build a Wal-Mart near my sort of cute, ramshackle, little-shops Toronto neighbourhood and I was there to see my future.

As it turned out, my future was my past. This Wal-Mart, a "Supercentre" the size of the Bermuda Triangle in a dire area called Scarborough, had flung me back in time to my youth.

Wal-Mart is a place I know in my soul. It is every Zellers in every small town I ever lived in; it is Woolworths in Kapuskasing writ large. (Note: the Woolworths in Kap is now a Wal-Mart.) I was thrilled to shop in cheap stores for tarty ratty clothes when I was young — I can still remember every polyester garment I ever purchased in Reitman's — but that's the joy of being a teenager in a small town. Everything is thrilling by definition. On weekends, we'd gulp homemade Harvey Wallbangers and vomit in a snowbank; that was our idea of a night out.

But the fact that something is pleasing to you says more about you than the thing itself. The fact that Wal-Mart is cheap ("Save money, live better!") and convenient (18,000 parking spaces! Free!) are two puny words against the torrent of invective I and any other Canadian interested in airy concepts like "quality of life" could instantly pour upon Wal-Mart.

I am not alone in this: over the years many Canadians, from Halifax to Vancouver, have been vocal about which neighbourhoods do and don't want to plant a Wal-Mart.

The price of cheapness

Wal-Mart is a giant American corporation (2006 revenue of $315 billion) run out of Arkansas that devastates every town and neighbourhood in the U.S., Canada, Mexico, Brazil and Britain where it plants a store. I urge you to watch Robert Greenwald's famed 2005 documentary Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price to understand why cheap and convenient are adjectives of condemnation, not praise.

Yes, Wal-Mart is cheap. CEO Lee Scott's statement in the 2008 annual report is so obsessive about prices that he sounds like Howard Hughes on germs or Lou Dobbs on Mexicans. Here's a sampling of his phrases: "affordable, money-saving, price-leading, price-reduced, dollar-saving, budget-stretching, ends-meeting, driving down costs, reducing costs, saving money, spending less, low prices, price-leading, reduce prices, less money, save money, on par with price, lower costs." That's not cheap, that's psychotic.

I love to shop and I do shop carefully. But as I wander around Wal-Mart, it becomes apparent that their prices are low because much of their merchandise is — cheap. Whatever happened to "well-made" or "worthwhile"? Their own-brand clothing, curiously called "George," is made of thin fabric harsh on my fingertips, badly shaped and sewn, and style-free. Gap and H&M sell cheap clothes too, but they aren't this badly constructed, and those two chains make an effort at rendering the customer physically appealing to fellow human beings. George clothing actively works in the other direction.

Disposable goods

I balk at buying cut flowers, which are farmed overseas under dreadful conditions. I buy silk fakes instead. In Wal-Mart, the artificial flowers are stunning, so amateurish that they don't resemble flowers, more like polyester extrusions. Their colours are previously unknown to humanity and the petals feel like starched toilet paper. But my god, they are cheap. When was the last time you saw a store sign blaring "98 cents"? Ask your parents.

Wal-Mart's name-brand goods may well be slightly cheaper than in other chains. Their style is pressuring manufacturers and squeezing smaller companies dry — why? because they can — but pinching blood from a pebble doesn't always pay off.

These goods are still designed as disposable. I've owned more toasters than I have toes. This is why we have a garbage crisis: repair shops no longer exist and we blow far more money buying repeat goods than one well-crafted product that will last for decades.

Of course Wal-Mart is cheap. Its ethos is to sell the lowest priced, not the most durable, goods. So we can change our descriptors to "convenient but temporary."

A cynic, Oscar Wilde said, is a man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing. Coming from a genius who was worth kingdoms but died penniless in exile, it's a quote for our times.

In convenience

I don't find it convenient to have a 1,700-space parking lot near Lake Ontario, I find it repellent. It would be lovely to have picnic grounds or dog runs, restaurants, stores or something lively in an area where, magically, we can actually live well without owning cars. We have great public transit here. Why build a car magnet when gas is set to hit $2.25 a litre in four years? Wal-Mart, purely designed for car owners, will lure thousands of polluting vehicles to a new paved parking lot in an area that already has so little open ground that when it rains, the earth can't absorb the water. Local basements annually fill with raw sewage runoff in a repeated horror that I will not describe.

I'm surprised that only 300 people showed up at recent protest against the planned big box power centre containing Wal-Mart — we'll call it Lubyanka for short. Passivity has infected every citizen.

So instead of walking down to main street for a shovel, nail gun, ice cream, prescriptions, head of lettuce, shrubbery, can of paint or pair of deck shoes, everyone will drive to Wal-Mart and come back with disposable things bought for next to nothing from dingy foreign factories. We will do this at a hidden cost to clean air, precious fuel, neighbours' basements, owners and employees of smaller stores, wages (Wal-Mart pays rock-bottom and keeps people part-time for years), the view of Lake Ontario, tax revenue, Canadian-owned manufacturers, esthetics and fitness.

I believe Wal-Mart is evil. But sometimes there's payback. The last time I saw Scott, he was on video patting the buttocks of pale male Wal-Mart executives dressed as big ugly women screaming and dancing at a corporate function. That video wouldn't be public had Wal-Mart not for decades hired Flagler Productions to record its corporate events. When the retail giant dumped Flagler in 2006, putting it out of business, Wal-Mart wouldn't negotiate a price for the video archive. So Flagler offered the videos to the free market, which now has amazing footage being pored over by wrongful death lawyers, etc.

I have to leave aside the viciousness of the company laid out in Greenwald's documentary: its blockade of the promotion of female employees, the murders, rapes and kidnappings in its cheapskate unguarded parking lots, its abuse of part-timers and non-white employees, outrages that include suing an employee brain-injured in a car crash for her private insurance payout, its secret altering of employee records to avoid paying wages, its notoriously lax environmental safety … none of my sentences about Wal-Mart ends happily. They just build, like Wal-Mart itself.

Well, if Heather Mallick is dead-set against them, they can't be all bad. "The murders, rapes, and kidnappings in its cheapskate unguarded parking lots"(!!) You can be against Wal-Mart and/or SmartCentre without completely losing it. What mall parking lot is guarded like a gated community?

Q for the Filmies -- was CineSpace's studio on Eastern there before they lost the Queen's Quay location? What about Kleinburg? (Legit question -- I'm wondering what the overall size of CineSpace is these days versus how big they used to be. Are they seriously smaller?) And -- Diamond's waterfront building is going to be for a media company, correct? Won't that provide some work for local media industry types, is it only for office workers?

Heather's Rant

Come on Heather, slide down off that fence and tell us what you really think. We'll understand, in fact we already understand. We understand that another hack writer needed a column subject and decided to dust off the ever popular "Bash Walmart" piece, make it local and reinforce your tired opinions with lots of anti-American vitriol.

I must admit you are certainly an observant shopper having gleaned all your information in a single visit. Most of your opinions are so silly they don't even warrant a reply but the "car magnet" shot deserves examination. You seem to characterise the average Leslieville resident as car free and proud of it, an aerial view (Google Earth) of the neighbourhood immediately north of the proposed mall reveals a garage behind almost every home and streets filled with parked cars. Assuming that these cars belong to the residents can we also assume that they are never driven in any other neighbourhood especially anywhere near a shopping mall or, God forbid, a Walmart store? Would these trips through other neighbourhoods constitute an invasion in the same sense that the reverse is feared? Just asking.

I find it strange that posters on a forum dedicated to urbanism and smart growth, the very antithesis of the development in question, would defend this travesty.

It's strange for sure.

Anyone else notice the giant ads for the "Foundry District" in the Metro newspapers? Goldhar and his penguin army of sprawl are trying to win a PR war.

Q for the Filmies -- was CineSpace's studio on Eastern there before they lost the Queen's Quay location? What about Kleinburg? (Legit question -- I'm wondering what the overall size of CineSpace is these days versus how big they used to be. Are they seriously smaller?) And -- Diamond's waterfront building is going to be for a media company, correct? Won't that provide some work for local media industry types, is it only for office workers?

Cinespace's studio at 721 Eastern was not yet converted from industrial to film studios when they lost the Queen's Quay studios to Project Symphony / Corus. It was built to replace the loss of Queen's Quay. Kleinburg has standing sets of the White House and as such, is not available, usable, empty studio space. Cinespace had 140,000 sq ft of space at Queen's Quay, and has about 100,000 sq ft at 721 Eastern Avenue, a net loss of 40,000. Corus will employ no film technicians as there is no crossover.

One industry displaced another i.e. the film industry took a hit... as usual, and as it will continue to do until the municipal and provincial governments can get their heads around the concept that the film industry in Toronto is slipping into a coma whilst other North American provinces, states, and cities, where politicians "get it" are quickly building studios and infrastructures which are leaving Toronto in their wake. We are simultaneously building and destroying our infrastructure, trading affordable studios for very beautiful, very expensive studios. Unfortunately, because Filmport's construction is behind schedule, Toronto just lost a $100 million production to Montreal. Toronto takes another hit.

Toronto is very quickly becoming a second class "has been" film production backwater because people in high places did not acknowledge that the Toronto film industry was a legitimate industry back when it truly was Hollywood North. For the city and the province to have ignored the processes, or to have participated in the processes which have lead to the potential rezoning of the studios at 629 Eastern Avenue to retail is indeed unfortunate for the film industry.

Lost in here is one big lie - the claim that the 130,000 square foot Wal-Mart store is "half the size of a standard Wal-Mart store in Ontario"

Wal-Mart stores are typically 90,000-140,000 square feet. The new Supercentres are larger, but there's only a handful here.

The Guelph Wal-Mart, the typical largest-format store without fresh produce is 135,000 square feet.

So Goldhar and the penguin SprawlCentres army are misleading the people of Leslieville and Toronto when they claim that it is half the size of the typical store.

Kat, you really do contradict yourself here. Other venues are building studios and infrastructure- well, what do you call Filmport? As we are told, it is the largest of its kind outside Hollywood.

I can't imagine that these 'other venues' are developing new space at 1980 prices either. Are you suggesting that bankrupt city subsidize the cost of construction or give more grants to film business to encourage more filming here.

You obviously have superior information to the majority of the forum and public but you are going to painstakingly long and confusing lengths to prove a point that remains unclear, at least to my layman's mind.

Filmport has one stage which is huge, or rather, it's tall. It's 49,500 sq ft. Toronto already has one at 40,000 sq ft which is not as tall. It'll be a real plus for Toronto, no question about it. The rest of Filmport's studios are fantastic, purpose built sound stages too, but they are apparently quite expensive to rent, and likely beyond the budgets of a lot of the film production generally done in Toronto. Those productions need affordable and often smaller studios, exactly like the ones at 629 Eastern Avenue.

The other venues building studios are Michigan, Massachusetts and Louisiana. They offer 20 - 25% state tax credits for studio building, so they may have lower rental fees as a consequence, and they are on the US side of the border which is a draw for US producers. The point is that Toronto will end up with pricey Filmport at the expense of the loss of affordable studios on Eastern Ave. Arguably we need affordable studios more than expensive studios in today's economy. I say that with appreciation for the investment of effort and capital in Filmport. It will be fantastic. It's just so unfortunate that we're gaining Filmport at the expense of the loss of 629 Eastern Avenue.

I would suggest that the bankrupt city might well have used its acumen and clout to have foreseen and avoided the mess we're now in with a Smartcentre on our doorstep.

My reason for speaking out is not to be critical of Filmport. It is a reality. It is a fantastic addition to the Toronto film production infrastructure. Long term, if major Hollywood productions continue to come to Toronto, it will perhaps be the alpha and omega of film production everywhere. My concern is the transition from the present infrastructure to the future infrastructure which is Filmport. I for one, don't believe we'll make it beyond the loss of the 629 Eastern Avenue studios without a huge exodus of very talented film technicians who cannot afford to wait while things sort themselves out. If we were discussing Ontario's automotive sector, there would be headlines in every newspaper, and promises of hundreds of millions of dollars of provincial aid to prevent such a calamity. You will find no newspaper articles which tell the whole story of the Toronto film industry. Nobody cares. There is not a single politician at any level of government who cares. None has the vision or the single-minded objective to ensure a healthy film industry in Toronto. It has always been taken for granted that film production will be self-perpetuating.

The superior forces of the Sam Reisman / Mitch Goldhar partnership at 629 Eastern Avenue, Smartcentres, every level of government, and the Ontario Municipal Board simply overwhelm the immediate needs and future of the Toronto film industry. It's future is being dictated by these powerful outside forces who have given no thought to the fragile nature of the relationship of the thousands of independent technicians, actors, artists, clerical workers, management, suppliers, etc. who magically come together in different combinations time and time again to manufacture films and TV shows. I think the film industry is not treated as a legitimate industry perhaps because of the independent nature of its components. There is no single industrial entity upon which to focus. There may be an expectation in high places that this loose association of components will take care of itself and survive regardless. Unless something changes and affordable alternate studios magically appear, I fear the industry won't survive the next year intact without the 629 Eastern Avenue studios. It will still be an industry, but greatly diminished with the departure of many talented people in search of new careers. The infrastructure is today the same size as it was eight years ago but because of 9/11, SARS, industry strikes, etc. last year did half the business it did in 2000. People are at the end of their ability to survive another bad year. There's a de facto actors' strike in the US, a high dollar, higher tax credits elsewhere, huge studio developments elsewhere, etc. all impacting business here. Losing affordable studio space here could be the final straw, and nobody outside the industry gets it, or even cares enough to notice.

Not one side or the other, just curious.

Caveatemptor said:

Bash Heather all you want Spidey but this 'hood surely don't need no stinking Wally! That's indisputable. It's the working poor that mind the houses for the middle and upper middle class residents that will benefit the most- and they don't even pay property taxes in the area.

No response to the automobile traffic question? A recent stroll revealed that the busiest store on Queen Street was the Thrift Shop, looks like a market that needs a Walmart.

The reality of affordable studio space vs. the Toronto Star's FilmPort advertorial

The rest of Filmport's studios are fantastic, purpose built sound stages too, but they are apparently quite expensive to rent, and likely beyond the budgets of a lot of the film production generally done in Toronto. Those productions need affordable and often smaller studios, exactly like the ones at 629 Eastern Avenue.... Losing affordable studio space here could be the final straw, and nobody outside the industry gets it, or even cares enough to notice.

Well said, Kat.

I've only recently finished vomiting at the Star's coverage of FilmPort last week...yikes...that paper is more for sale than I thought.

Across Canada, only the Vancouver Sun was able to put their finger on the fact that FilmPort's linked rezoning of 629 Eastern Avenue will likely redirect a higher volume of business to Vancouver because Toronto will have a net loss of studio space...

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/business/story.html?id=2778383f-11f1-4a93-85d5-d1051f49f819

Meanwhile, the Star very successfully glossed over the whole FilmPort contraversy with factual errors, misleading statements and confusing coverage (and steered COMPLETELY clear of the link to the 629 rezoning).

Firstly, Tony Wong is an idiot who doesn't do his research. Why were the comments of the producer of the "Saw" movies even included in the lead FilmPort article? His recent movies (Saw 2,3,4 and 5) only ever came to Toronto BECAUSE of our previous abundance of cheap, converted studio space, and would NEVER have had the money to locate at FilmPort. In fact, these films (some of which I worked on) were 99% shot in cheap, converted studios - that's how these guys make movies so cheaply - not "on the streets of Toronto" as falsely reported in the Star article.

Secondly, Tony Wong is an idiot who doesn't do his research. How could one classify Cinespace as taking it "slow and steady" ? Over a period of several months they built more converted studio space for Toronto that is ALREADY FULL. How come this is not mentioned? Most importantly, and pay attention here Caveat, it's already full with two Canadian TV projects AND the budget-minded Saw 5, while FilmPort still doesn't have a signed tenant - a testament to the fact that cheap converted space is what is in MOST demand in this City. Oh, and 629 Eastern is almost empty except for two tenants: an American movie wrapping very soon and - surprise - a very successful Canadian TV series!

Thirdly, Tony Wong is an idiot who doesn't do his research. Pinewood wants NOTHING to do with Toronto anymore. They just dropped a quarter billion Euros to expand their own site in England, so why the hell would they ever invest in a Toronto studio when (a) the proposed site is contaminated and landlocked by residential and railway with no parking (b) our dollar is at par, and was at 70 cents the last time they were interested (c) the City of Toronto screwed them royally because their bid was far better than Rose Corp's. Romano keeps dropping Pinewood's name only to save his buddy Miller's ass by making it look like Pinewood's not pissed at the City. Hey Tony Wong, I have an idea for you...you're a f***ing journalist...pick up the f***ing phone and call Pinewood for actual and relevant comment, instead of flashing Ridley Scott's photo!

Shame on the Star for its lack of journalistic integrity AND for conveniently missing the entire issue of space for Canadian film and telelvision, which just happens to be exploding right now, and could have really used the type of studio space at 629 Eastern Avenue that will be joining the old Marine Terminal studios in a landfill site somewhere soon.

A final comment on why the Star has come out so strongly for SmartCentres in the past couple of weeks...they are hoping for full-page "falling prices" ads for the only downtown Walmart to help offset their recent misfortunes....

http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/420167

Back