M II A II R II K

Member Bio
Reaction score
Liberals urged to protect Legislature skyline from condo development

May 20 2010

Rob Ferguson - Queen’s Park Bureau

David Rider - Urban Affairs Bureau Chief

thestar_logo.gif

Read More: http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...gislature-skyline-from-condo-development?bn=1

##################################

The Ontario government is washing its hands when it comes to protecting postcard-perfect vistas of the 111-year-old building it calls home. Premier Dalton McGuinty’s Liberals said they won’t fight a controversial Ontario Municipal Board ruling allowing two high-rise condo towers to go up behind the Legislature, marring its distinctive silhouette on the midtown skyline.

“The OMB made a decision,†Culture Minister Michael Chan said Thursday. “We have to respect that.†Opposition parties and the Speaker of the Legislature called on the government to fight the decision, perhaps through special legislation. They fear—along with architectural heritage experts—that the decision to allow the condo towers on the northeast corner of Bloor St. and Avenue Rd. would spoil the singular view of the Legislature looking north up University Ave. The OMB’s decision sets a precedent that will, over time, see condo towers ruin Toronto’s views including that of city hall itself, predicted Lloyd Alter, president of the Architectural Conservancy of Ontario.

##################################

The legislature, seen here in a file photo at a war memorial ceremony, is an iconic part of the Toronto skyline.

a011efa34be3893fe648af62b64f.jpeg

Honestly, this doesn't surprise me.
I lost faith a long time ago in Toronto's ability to protect anything related to heritage properties or heritage views.
It is what it is...

Why do we care about being able to see the legislature, without seeing tall buildings? Look in the picture - I see plenty of tall buildings already. Given the proposed buildings are blocks away - I just don't see the issue.

If the legislature wants to have a view ... perhaps they can move it to Wawa or something.

Queens Park is in the centre of the biggest city in the country. It's supposed to have tall buildings.

Heritage views???????? Are you people serious?
Of all the complaints i've been reading lately this has to be the most pathetic one of them all. Who cares if there's a building in the picture. You're in a large city. Accept it. You wanna have unobstructive views move to the burbs.

Of all the complaints i've been reading lately this has to be the most pathetic one of them all. Who cares if there's a building in the picture. You're in a large city. Accept it. You wanna have unobstructive views move to the burbs.

Yeah, tell New Yorkers, Londoners, Parisians, etc who've rallied against their own, uh, "unobstructive view" situations. They'd laugh your insensitive-jerkwater alibi (and spelling) out of the picture...

I've always thought the legislature would look more distinguished with a row of modern tall buildings behind it.
I have no concern for it's protection, even at the risk of it being surrounded by slabs.

Last edited:
Why do we care about being able to see the legislature, without seeing tall buildings? Look in the picture - I see plenty of tall buildings already. Given the proposed buildings are blocks away - I just don't see the issue.

If the legislature wants to have a view ... perhaps they can move it to Wawa or something.

Queens Park is in the centre of the biggest city in the country. It's supposed to have tall buildings.

And Queens Park is supposed be for all Ontarians. It's not just for Torontonians. So at least have some consideration for non 416/905 residents.

That said, as a Torontonian, do you seriously not care at all about heritage protection and the aesthetics of the city?

The "who cares if there's a building" attitude has more in common with Wawa and the suburbs than the biggest cities in the world, which protect certain views and restrict high rises in certain areas.

And Queens Park is supposed be for all Ontarians. It's not just for Torontonians. So at least have some consideration for non 416/905 residents.
How does building north of Bloor have any impact on the use of Queens Park by any Ontario ... 905 or otherwise?

That said, as a Torontonian, do you seriously not care at all about heritage protection and the aesthetics of the city?
Sure ... but protecting a kilometre away from Queens Park because one doesn't want to see a building in the background? This is a city, not a museum!

The "who cares if there's a building" attitude has more in common with Wawa and the suburbs than the biggest cities in the world, which protect certain views and restrict high rises in certain areas.

But you see, those dumb yokels in Wawa like Thanos think that's what big cities are about. They learned that from the Internets. That's why they want Toronto to be like that. It's like gurls aren't no good unless they have 40HHH boobies like Heidi Montag

In the Name of PROGRESS!

Really,

If anything, I would be more concerned about how these buildings will be built, what environmentally conscious components they will have, how they are contributing to building Toronto

i.e. low/dual flush toilets, heat reflective surfaces, contribution to a 'build' more parks in Toronto fund etc, reserve capital fund for repairs of subway stations etc.

This is not an issue of tall buildings, we all love them. This is an issue of a heritage view corridor that is just as much a part of the design and impact of Queen's Park as the building and the park around it themselves are.

... but if this is so negligeable to some who would rather see condos and towers 'everywhere' why not parcel off at the foot of this building too:

3091663924_597e762485.jpg

from protophotogsl -Lost in Translations- on Flickr

i don't feel that the setting of queen's park shares many of that place's characteristics. it's flat, landlocked and surrounded by city.

Back