News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

It has been ages since Thornhill has seen any major development along Yonge Street. I remember when this plaza was a Beaver Lumber, then Hy & Zel's, then eventually a Korean Supermarket. I think the location is perfect for such development.

Yay... a shopping mall to bring more people inside. Not too exciting IMO.

I like the low rise stuff, the density, basic urban design and the paving, but the towers are not fantastic.

this is really impressive in scale and concept for this location! The massing is excellent with the tallest towers at the southwest corner, falling off the the north and east. I really like the idea of this interior courtyard of sorts... plenty of public space in there and some nice colour and detail with the pavers with just a bit of main street style parking in this area. And yes, lets extend the subway - this complex could even be the location for a Steeles Station.

It has been ages since Thornhill has seen any major development along Yonge Street. I remember when this plaza was a Beaver Lumber, then Hy & Zel's, then eventually a Korean Supermarket. I think the location is perfect for such development.

yessss, beaver lumber. that was soooo long ago!

There was also a Mark's Work Warehouse. That place has had a lot of tenants but it had definitely reached the end of its potential (despite the great injection of the Galleria).

I'm not sure about the towers either but the overall project seems good. As others have said, it's going to be a heck of an impact on the neighbourhood if that subway doesn't come soon. The planning process assumed there would be a subway (or at least BRT)...

Here are pics I took from the Groundbreaking...first I ever attended, was quite amusing to see the demolition start.

photo 3.JPG

photo 1.JPG

photo 4.JPG

photo 2.JPG

Attachments

• photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 61
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 58
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 53
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 62
A couple of blocks too far for it to be part of Steeles Station.

I know it isnt right at Steeles... and whatever you might want to call it, this development strikes me as a good candidate for being a station on an extended Yonge St line. I guess Centrepoint Mall would be an additional stop and the location of an actual "Steeles Station" and maybe this would be called "Meadowview". anyways, just daydreaming about more subway line...

The original building on this site was a G.E.M. retail outlet.

It was an acronym for Government Employees Mart or Market--sort of a precursor to Costco. It was eventually opened to all of the public.

That was of course many more years ago.

Back