News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Again, it is just a pilot. If it is successful, they will likely add a PM route.

Maybe we have meandered a bit....but the current crowdsourcing/funding campaign is for the 4 a.m. trips (well 7 if you include the 3 reverse trips from Union to LV in the a.m.)....what I don't understand is why anyone is paying $5 a ride for those.

In the early discussion it was easy to see that the the GO train is more frequent, faster and cheaper.....now people are suggesting that for, at least, 2 of those trips the King car is not bogged down in traffic and works quite well. So, based on what we know, who is paying $5 for the initial/pilot launch trips.....and why?

Maybe we have meandered a bit....but the current crowdsourcing/funding campaign is for the 4 a.m. trips (well 7 if you include the 3 reverse trips from Union to LV in the a.m.)....what I don't understand is why anyone is paying $5 a ride for those.

In the early discussion it was easy to see that the the GO train is more frequent, faster and cheaper.....now people are suggesting that for, at least, 2 of those trips the King car is not bogged down in traffic and works quite well. So, based on what we know, who is paying $5 for the initial/pilot launch trips.....and why?

No, the crowdfunding is to set up the route and secure the bus. The rides are a benefit to participating in the crowdfunding arrangement. It's a perk for investing at the moment. The actual fare price hasn't been set yet.

Edit: The pilot also includes free coffee... which also won't be part of regular service if this works out.

Plus, not everyone is paying $5 a ride. Some are paying more. It's how crowdfunding works. You pick what to give in order to start up the service.

Last edited:
Given that the pick up spot is at Pirandello and East Liberty Street.....I would imagine that their route to Union (actually Front and University) will be E. Liberty to Strachan....North to Wellington....East on Wellington to Niagara...SE on Niagara to Bathurst....South on Bathurst to Front...then East on Front to University.

Anyone have any experience with that route during rush hour? Google says it is 9 minutes.....I have tried Front from Bathurst over to Spadina and in rush hour that part alone is the better part of 10 minutes......so, is that whole route doable in 20?

Given that the pick up spot is at Pirandello and East Liberty Street.....I would imagine that their route to Union (actually Front and University) will be E. Liberty to Strachan....North to Wellington....East on Wellington to Niagara...SE on Niagara to Bathurst....South on Bathurst to Front...then East on Front to University.

Anyone have any experience with that route during rush hour? Google says it is 9 minutes.....I have tried Front from Bathurst over to Spadina and in rush hour that part alone is the better part of 10 minutes......so, is that whole route doable in 20?

I have taken that route in the past to get to Spadina. I think their issue will be Front Street, and I am not sure how Front Street is during the morning rush. Bremner is pretty good at that time, so I assume Front shouldn't be too bad either.

I have taken that route in the past to get to Spadina. I think their issue will be Front Street, and I am not sure how Front Street is during the morning rush. Bremner is pretty good at that time, so I assume Front shouldn't be too bad either.

Front from Bathurst to Spadina is brutal....probably most of 10 minutes just there.....east of Spadina it opens up nicely though (not sure if that is permanent or just people realizing that you can't really go past Uni anyway).

There were plans to extend Front Street into Liberty Village, but the NIMBYs and others got upset. See link. Be careful what you wish for.

frontst2.JPG

May still happen, with adjustments.

Attachments

• frontst2.JPG
    frontst2.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 562
Please explain.
There is no room to put in another road in LV.

It's actually partially there. You might call it a driveway to the current warehouses and factories along the railway edge. The dashed roadway (extending Pirandello, turning west at the railway) is part of it. Much more of semi-private muck trail than a roadway at this time.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.6367331,-79.4196909,17z

Anyway, as you can see from the satellite image sufficient space was left behind 70-90 East Liberty to extend that street to Strachan and beyond to the East side of Strachan.

http://s350.photobucket.com/albums/q438/Solaris_Metrogate/LibertyUDGsiteplan.jpg

The express lanes will not happen, GO may absorb that land (15 minute service requires an additional track), but the local road will still be built.

Last edited:
One would hope that extending 63 Ossington to the GO station by way of the above mentioned local access road would be a given? The lack of attention paid to GO Ex as a local hub is becoming a bit silly irrespective of its value for commuters.

Looking at the typical user....works at King and Bay and lives in Liberty Village in one of the condo's right beside the proposed stop here are the options:

Option 1 - King streetcar. 7 min walk, 2 min wait and then on the steetcar for 15 min without traffic (25-30 min with traffic and standing). Have to assume a 39 minute commute (and will quite often get to work early if it is busier but will always have to leave 39 minutes before work).

Option 2 - QQ Streetcar (once open). 7 min Walk south to Fleet street, 4 minute wait (fewer cars), 15 min (estimate) ride with a seat (17-22 with traffic once ROW on south of street), 5 min walk. Total time with traffic is 38 minutes (more walking but almost guaranteed to get a seat).

Option 3 - GO Train (must plan ahead). 11 min walk, 3 min wait (planned to arrive just in time), 8 minute GO Train, 2 minutes to get to street, 5 min walk. Total time is 29 minutes.

Option 4 - New Bus. 3 min wait (plan to arrive just in time), 20 minute drive, 5 min walk at the end. 28 minutes.

Option 5 - Drive (which I do know a bunch of people do)

So the Bus or the GO Train would be the best alternatives. However, each you have to plan in advance (and hope that the streetcar is really busy). Human nature always hopes for the best so they will revert back to the streetcar on the chance that it runs like a dream for that specific day!

^ You can also walk that distance in 40mins. Save money, improve health, forget the stress.

One would hope that extending 63 Ossington to the GO station by way of the above mentioned local access road would be a given?
One would hope - though it's only a 250 metre walk now.

I'd also hope that the new road would speed up walking to the GO station, cutting about 200 metres off the walk along Liberty and down Atlantic. Though perhaps there's a short-cut there now I'm not aware of, like there is (sort of) north of the tracks west to Dufferin.

Back