News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Indeed, making the city larger would only further bend the local politics toward suburban/rural priorities.
Exactly, just see what Hamilton is like with the suburbnan/rural devide but multiply it. And the province idiotically even tried to force Hamilton to expand it's already massive city limit size (which is already almost 3 times larger than London's).

I should not be able to drive my own car from/to downtown Toronto faster than a train. I was still willing to do it, as I love train journeys, but I couldn’t get a rental car - there’s a national shortage. London has some pretty spaces, but it’s definitely a car dependent city.

I had family in London. With no car, Greyhound was basically my only way to get between Toronto and London.

Exactly, just see what Hamilton is like with the suburbnan/rural devide but multiply it. And the province idiotically even tried to force Hamilton to expand it's already massive city limit size (which is already almost 3 times larger than London's).
Metro Toronto's amalgamation is still causing repercussions too, but at least we were dealing with some decent urban bones/senses, even in the far stretches of Etobicoke, North York, and Scarborough. Transit ridership is one very good example.

With Hamilton-Wentworth's amalgamation, a city larger than Toronto, by size, was created and with an astonishing ~75% of it considered rural.

I had family in London. With no car, Greyhound was basically my only way to get between Toronto and London.
That, however, is VIA's fault and not Londoners. VIA is a political apparatus first and a passenger rail service second.
The ONLY reason why HFR isn't going to London is because Trudeau decided not to have a single Cabinet Minister from anywhere in SWO but 14 in the GTA. A company that makes decisions on purely a business case would take HFR to London WAY before Quebec City. London is the 4th busiest rail station in VIA's entire system and the Toronto-London {via Aldershot} requires the lowest subsidy per passenger carried by km travelled in the entire country.

That, however, is VIA's fault and not Londoners. VIA is a political apparatus first and a passenger rail service second.
The ONLY reason why HFR isn't going to London is because Trudeau decided not to have a single Cabinet Minister from anywhere in SWO but 14 in the GTA. A company that makes decisions on purely a business case would take HFR to London WAY before Quebec City. London is the 4th busiest rail station in VIA's entire system and the Toronto-London {via Aldershot} requires the lowest subsidy per passenger carried by km travelled in the entire country.

Stop with the lying BS.

@AlvinofDiaspar Come on now. This is getting annoying.

HFR was first proposed but Yves Desjardins-Siciliano when he was CEO of VIA under the HARPER government. At no time was going west of Union ever proposed. This was because:

1) The Ontario government under McGuinty, Wynne and then Ford was pushing Ontario HSR from Toronto to London via Kitchener. The Ford government even let the EA continue.

2) HFR proposed using an unused rail corridor. No such corridor is available going West.

Please stop lying about the history and politics of all this. Especially when we all know you've been told all this before.

No way I’d ever be taking Greyhound.

For the low-income people, it's the only way they can get around. I couldn't afford to rent a car in my student days, I spent a lot of hours traveling on Greyhound all over the province. I hope FlixBus increase their coverage. Not everyone wants or can afford a car.

For the low-income people, it's the only way they can get around. I couldn't afford to rent a car in my student days, I spent a lot of hours traveling on Greyhound all over the province.

That's a good point. In hindsight I should have bought myself a small motorcycle in high school, as today it's my favourite way to get around southern Ontario, weather permitting.

In my uni days at Ottawa I would take the VIA most times. I don't recall Greyhound going to Ottawa from Toronto, but I did take Grey Coach perhaps two or three times before vowing never to do so again.

London not getting HFR due to politics is not BS.
They could twin some of the tracks, build over/underpasses, restart the Brantford by-pass, and run express trains to London/Windsor. The new trains would be fine as the rail route is very direct and only 180km. It would money very well spent and pay higher returns that MTL to QC because not only is London a busier rail station than QC but also after QC there is almost no ridership while west of London is Windsor/Detroit and VIA already owns the section from roughly Chatham to Windsor.
If VIA wasn't so damn political, there is no way, in hell, that HFR would go to QC before London.

^^^ You're not suppose to say that lest it challenge this preconceived notion that London is a sprawling urban planning wasteland.

London is also reviewing it's parking requirements for the first time in 3 decades. The proposal {which is expected to pass council} would see the parking requirements for residential drop by half and for retail and commercial 33 to 50% depending on usage and square footage. It would also require all new developments to have a least 3 bicycle parking spots and going up from there depending upon the size of the development.

Last edited:

Back