News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

It isn't that simple. It seems that simple, but there are bigger reasons for one over the other. If all you think the argument is based on is because others have it, then you have not been paying attention.

Somebody not agreeing with your arguments doesn't mean they aren't paying attention. All you have provided so far is a bunch of whataboutism, red herring and strawman arguments.

You are also literally arguing that you're okay with large sections of that city getting no higher order transit for decades. Just for the sake of being right (in your mind). I get that you enjoy being argumentative and trolling. But for those of us who actually have family or live in London, we'd actually like them to get something better than what they have. And sooner.

So again. What you you say to a young homebuyer who just bought their first house in a new subdivision along Wonderland, about your plan?

Somebody not agreeing with your arguments doesn't mean they aren't paying attention. All you have provided so far is a bunch of whataboutism, red herring and strawman arguments.

You are also literally arguing that you're okay with large sections of that city getting no higher order transit for decades. Just for the sake of being right (in your mind). I get that you enjoy being argumentative and trolling. But for those of us who actually have family or live in London, we'd actually like them to get something better than what they have. And sooner.

The reason for building most RT throughout the world is to build up density.

So again. What you you say to a young homebuyer who just bought their first house in a new subdivision along Wonderland, about your plan?

Sorry, but this service likely won't serve you. I have family in that area and that is what I would say to them. They are not really thinking of taking transit, so it is no loss to them.

Edit:
People moving to the new subdivisions at the edges of the city are not thinking about transit.

Last edited:
The London BRT will be a true BRT and not just a few cue-jumpers.

All the stations will be large and well lit, have level boarding, real-time next time arrivals, and ticket machines allowing all door enter/exit. The bus lanes will be 100% bus-only lanes and signal priority. The buses themselves will all be articulated modern "streetcar looking" buses with distinct signage and/or colouring so they are easily identifiable. They will all be zero emissions wither battery with recharging at station stops or hydrogen for faster de/acceleration and a quieter ride. The city is hoping that frequency will be every 8 minutes all day and every 6 minutes in rush hour which is pretty damn good for a city the size of London.

All the stations will be large and well lit, have level boarding, real-time next time arrivals, and ticket machines allowing all door enter/exit. The bus lanes will be 100% bus-only lanes and signal priority. The buses themselves will all be articulated modern "streetcar looking" buses with distinct signage and/or colouring so they are easily identifiable. They will all be zero emissions wither battery with recharging at station stops or hydrogen for faster de/acceleration and a quieter ride. The city is hoping that frequency will be every 8 minutes all day and every 6 minutes in rush hour which is pretty damn good for a city the size of London.

How will they deal with road choke points where removing a lane is not practical? I can think of a few spots.

No. Most rapid transit is built to move large numbers of riders. Increasing density is usually a secondary consideration.

Also,. London has no shortage of space to develop and low density that can be redeveloped. Most of their avenues, outside the downtown core, aren't even the same density as Toronto avenues that run local buses. LRT isn't going to magically densify them.

Last edited:

I think it will do decently enough. My only gripe is that they aren't building the Western and Northern branches. I also wish they'd figure out a few transit malls in the core.

Indeed. And as others have pointed out, this LRT isn't better than the bus service it replaced. So if you care about transit, it isn't actually an improvement. On the other hand, Waterloo politicians really wanted to help out developers and the LRT has been great for them.
That's a rather, shall we say, creative interpretation of the origins of LRT in KW.

In actuality, rapid transit was one component of a multi-pronged strategy to respond to projected growth in region. Of critical importance was the protection of the countryside line which was put in place to protect groundwater resources which the region primarily depends on for its drinking water, as well as the projected increase in transportation budgets if the pattern of development continued to be primarily focused on greenfield suburban sites. From this, the region developed the idea of Central Transit Corridor which was already the transit spine for the region, and eased zoning restrictions and implemented development incentives for developments in the corridor. The iXpress was an improved bus service that grew out of this plan. Already at this stage, we were seeing accelerated development occurring in the CTC. The decision on rapid transit occurred later, and both BRT and LRT in various configurations were studied. The study projected that any BRT service would be exceeding capacity within 10 years, so LRT was the favoured option. A later municipal election effectively became a referendum on the matter (the primary challenger for the incumbent was opposed to LRT), and the vote was strongly in favour of the incumbent.

While there has been a boom in development in the region, the trend was already well underway before LRT was ever decided on, and other factors, especially development incentives, were equally if not more so factors in that surge in development. And the justification was firmly rooted in planning objectives to ease pressures on ground water recharge areas around the city and redirect growth to central areas with the added benefit of restraining growth in the transportation budget. By those measures it was undoubtedly a success. I don't think there were ever any serious allegations at the time that municipal politicians were just in the pockets of developers.

Lets use Ottawa as a great example of my point. The Transitway started in 1983, where as the original O-Train started in 2001. That shows that Ottawa could have fit the "insanely useless requirements" that I am trying to show. What I am trying to show is how an LRT line either is needed in the first place, or there are places where demand is not needed and you can truly have a successful BRT network that does not become congested.
You are trying to show ... two contradictory points?

You still haven't answered my question. Show me a successful LRT that doesn't have connecting bus routes.
Brisbane has a commuter rail system focused on the city. London is not so lucky.

Kitchener/Waterloo did not have what Brampton or York Region did either.

Let's look at Toronto. All their U/C LRT lines never had BRT prior to it. Why did they jump that step?
Because our political leaders are kind of terrible (read: really, REALLY TERRIBLE with lots of exclamation marks).
You mean transit oriented development has been happening in K/W?
And that is bad?

The downtown area of London experiences the same thing. Sounds like LRT is going to solve that. Unlike buses, you can extend the length of an LRT train. You can only extend buses so long before they no longer are practical.
Not really. See: Calgary.
Taking a lane away for buses that cars can drive into and block buses.The only way to prevent this is make it not as driveable for cars. This can be done, but eventually the cost difference between BRT and LRT becomes negligible. Diamond lanes .on all arterial routes does make sense.
Cars can also block LRT, and train can't just divert onto another lane.
I do know all of that. It was low hanging fruit. Just like their transitways. Now are the growing pains with outgrowing the BRT service.
Assuming London will grow to a population of 1.5 million people, which it won't in the next two generations ...

What is the cost of setting up BRT service, compared to LRT?
I love how the picture shows the exact problem with BRT.I spot at least 2 vehicles that are potentially able to cause problems for the bus.
Those same vehicles will likely cause problems with trains.
Depends on your focus. One focus could be to allow younger generation to own a home. Those TOD are just that.
It's possible to densify along BRT. Just have good zoning policies (imagine London having that LOL).

Otherwise, BRT will service the sprawl much better.
You must be one of those people in suburbia that want a single ride from your house to where ever you want to go. Take Ion for example. No route followed the LRT. In fact,crossing the city isn't that easy to drive. having this line is a good start at densifying the city. That is what is needed. Not more Mcmansions for miles around like York Region. Hence why VIVA is crappy service at best.
VIVA and ion was inserted into existing areas. VIVA has crappy service because they chose to have crappy service. One-seat-rides certainly aren't bad for transit users. Even in a much larger city like Ottawa, a transfer to an infrequent bus makes transit much less attractive (after living there for years, I know).
This isn't about those far flung areas. That is the bad thing about the Ottawa system. They are not focused on moving the most amount of people all over. They are focused on moving the commuters in and out of the city.. That is why their system is built as it is. If they were doing it better, there would be no interlining downtown.
Why wouldn't there be interlining downtown?
One great way to build up density, something that is lacking in most places, is to build a transit line and then let developers build the buildings that will increase density. No, I do not want to make developers richer, but I also want to see housing grow. This isn't the 1950s when you would build your own home from a sears catalogue.
Downtown is literally half parking lots. Seems like development fodder to me.
So long as the system is built for it, it is easier than adding more buses or extending buses.
Articulated buses?
Ottawa has shown bendy buses are bad in snow and double decker buses are bad on BRT legacy stations.
Every above ground system in Canada has had problems with snow.
Or, we have a separated ROW for the transit
LRT has the same problems. The first day they removed the barriers, somebody drove onto the Eglinton LRT tracks. Thing isn't even open yet!
What about those places that tunnels are needed?
Where would you need a tunnel? Use actual scenarios, not hypothetical locations.
It isn't that simple. It seems that simple, but there are bigger reasons for one over the other. If all you think the argument is based on is because others have it, then you have not been paying attention.
It seems like it, because I still haven't seen how an LRT would make transit better for London transit users.
No, it's to move people.
Sorry, but this service likely won't serve you. I have family in that area and that is what I would say to them. They are not really thinking of taking transit, so it is no loss to them.
The second best thing, after stopping sprawl, is to service it. Requiring a transfer for transit users where there was none, with no speed benefits over the previous alternative, that costs more, isn't improving transit for potential users.
People moving to the new subdivisions at the edges of the city are not thinking about transit.
Second best thing ...

Toronto has adequately demonstrated that suburbanites are willing to take the bus if it is high frequency and takes them where they want to go. I am certain that ridership would be even higher in Toronto's bus routes if they had additional BRT improvements such as dedicated laneways or queue jumps, and signal priority that could cut travel time by a third.

There is no reason why London couldn't do the same for its suburban areas. Even better if multiple routes converged into a trunk route with full BRT features servicing downtown London.

One-seat-rides certainly aren't bad for transit users. Even in a much larger city like Ottawa, a transfer to an infrequent bus makes transit much less attractive (after living there for years, I know).

Yeah. I don't get this complaint either. One-seat rides are super popular. Sure, they are impractical in large metros like Toronto. And they were getting impractical in Ottawa as it grew to a million people. But in a mid-sized city like London which is not linear? Much easier. And probably the best way to get suburbanites to actually use transit.

He basically wants to build a transit system for a city of 1.5 million, in a city of 500k. I don't think he realizes that people in London, probably don't want to have 2-3 transfers out of misplaced big city envy.

Truly a transit enthusiast and supporter.....

More of a realist. These new subdivisions tends not to have bus stops in the first place.So, if someone is moving there, thinking about transit, it is most definitely an after thought. They won;t even know where a nearest bus stop will be.

No. Most rapid transit is built to move large numbers of riders. Increasing density is usually a secondary consideration.

Also,. London has no shortage of space to develop and low density that can be redeveloped. Most of their avenues, outside the downtown core, aren't even the same density as Toronto avenues that run local buses. LRT isn't going to magically densify them.

Building on prime farmland is stupid. Sprawl is stupid.The only real way to slow or stop those is by TOD and densifying the area.

You are trying to show ... two contradictory points?
Please explain.
You still haven't answered my question. Show me a successful LRT that doesn't have connecting bus routes.
Obviously that does not exist.
Because our political leaders are kind of terrible (read: really, REALLY TERRIBLE with lots of exclamation marks).
Or, they are seeing the waste in doing the work twice.
Not really. See: Calgary.
Explain better please.
Cars can also block LRT, and train can't just divert onto another lane.
Not if there is no way to get onto the tracks. When was the last time a car stopped a subway?
Assuming London will grow to a population of 1.5 million people, which it won't in the next two generations ...
Is that the cut off for LRT to be successful? Who made that metric?
What is the cost of setting up BRT service, compared to LRT?
What is the savings of not spending taxpayer money twice? You do know today is cheaper than tomorrow for all projects? Yesterday was even cheaper.
Those same vehicles will likely cause problems with trains.
There are ways to mitigate it. One is completely grade separated.
It's possible to densify along BRT. Just have good zoning policies (imagine London having that LOL).
Didn't happen in York Region.
Otherwise, BRT will service the sprawl much better.
It will only lead to more sprawl. That is one reasons sprawl jumped Ottawa's Greenbelt.
VIVA and ion was inserted into existing areas. VIVA has crappy service because they chose to have crappy service. One-seat-rides certainly aren't bad for transit users. Even in a much larger city like Ottawa, a transfer to an infrequent bus makes transit much less attractive (after living there for years, I know).
Most good transit systems don't seem to have 1 seat ride to downtown. They do tend to have good connected RT to bring them to the downtown core.
Why wouldn't there be interlining downtown?
Interlining lowers frequencies outside of the part that is interlined. That can equal worse service.
Downtown is literally half parking lots. Seems like development fodder to me.
Then give something that could bring TOD to it more successfully. That isn't BRT.
Articulated buses?
Snowstorms? Ottawa proved they were horrible in snow.
Every above ground system in Canada has had problems with snow.
That is why I have in other places posted that I feel that we should bury all RT. Problem is, it can be very expensive.
LRT has the same problems. The first day they removed the barriers, somebody drove onto the Eglinton LRT tracks. Thing isn't even open yet!
What if it was buried the whole way, or in a trench?
Where would you need a tunnel? Use actual scenarios, not hypothetical locations.
Richmond Row has been cited a few times. Parts of Wharncliff near Horton
It seems like it, because I still haven't seen how an LRT would make transit better for London transit users.
How would it make things worse for those along the corridors that will be BRT?
No, it's to move people.
No, it is to move a lot of people.
Where do you get a lot of people? Dense areas.
The second best thing, after stopping sprawl, is to service it. Requiring a transfer for transit users where there was none, with no speed benefits over the previous alternative, that costs more, isn't improving transit for potential users.
When building a new RT system,if your goal from the get go is to service those at the far reaches of the existing transit lines, your forcus is very wrong and you should get out of the planning business.
Second best thing ...
Show me on one of those new subdivisions where the transit goes through if it is the second best thing.
He doesn't understand opportunity costs and the time value of money. Discussions like these are why I think economics should be mandatory in high school.
A tale of 2 cities. Edmonton and Calgary. One built their line underground in their downtown when they first constructed it. One built it on the surface. One of them has issues on their downtown section, and one does not.

Spending taxpayer money need to not just be about solving a problem today, but for preventing problems tomorrow. Brampton is spending money twice to solve the same problem. We should not be proud of that. We should be disgusted with that.

More of a realist. These new subdivisions tends not to have bus stops in the first place.So, if someone is moving there, thinking about transit, it is most definitely an after thought. They won;t even know where a nearest bus stop will be.
You're a realist based off baseless assumptions
Or, they are seeing the waste in doing the work twice.
They are really stupid. The design of the Eglinton Crosstown should tell you this much. LRT wasn't chosen because it was the best option, it was chosen because Urban Planners at the time fetishised them (and still do today). The mode was chosen first, and then justifications to use the mode were made later. Now the Finch West LRT makes sense to be an LRT because the corridor is already so busy that the capacity of an LRT makes sense. London does not have that privilege.
Explain better please.

Not if there is no way to get onto the tracks. When was the last time a car stopped a subway?
Not applicable to London. The LRT in London would be at grade and street running.
What is the savings of not spending taxpayer money twice? You do know today is cheaper than tomorrow for all projects? Yesterday was even cheaper.
The savings is actually getting something built, and having something that is far more useful for the short-medium term.
There are ways to mitigate it. One is completely grade separated.
Does not apply to London
Didn't happen in York Region.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

The entire point of the VIVA Rapidway was to use them as a development tool. Look at Warden and Enterprise:

Pre-Rapidway
1642705457067.png

Post Rapidway:
1642705499820.png

Pre Rapidway:
1642705554878.png

Post Rapidway:
1642705595496.png

The way Transit Oriented Development works is that when you build transit like a BRT, LRT, or Streetcar, you're telling developers that "this part of the city is getting attention, and thus its worth investing here". The mode doesn't actually really matter as a result, whether its BRT, or LRT, having dedicated infrastructure for things like transit is enough to attract development in droves.

The ENTIRE POINT of Viva was to be a development tool first and foremost. BRT is genuinely no worse than LRT in this regard. That's why headways are so bad in many of the routes, the folks over at YRT prioritized having nice infrastructure first and foremost, rather than running actual service along the corridors. Again Yonge Street remains the only decently used Viva Route before and after the Rapidway simply because by chance they started running frequent services on that route which in turn developed ridership. The idiots over at YRT still don't understand that frequencies attract ridership.
It will only lead to more sprawl. That is one reasons sprawl jumped Ottawa's Greenbelt.
BRT and LRT are no better at this. In fact all transit leads to sprawl. Did you know that in London, the reason why the greenbelt was implemented in the 50s wasn't because of highway related sprawl, but transit related sprawl? Suburbs like Edgeware only exist because they built the Northern Line in what was complete greenfield, and this result in a massive suburban core being built. BRTs are no better or worse at inducing sprawl than LRTs.
Most good transit systems don't seem to have 1 seat ride to downtown. They do tend to have good connected RT to bring them to the downtown core.
This is only true for developed transit systems. Once you have a vast transit network with many people using it, maintaining 1 seat rides becomes impossible. But if you're a growing transit network like London, or formerly Ottawa, 1 seat rides make a lot of sense and work really well.
Interlining lowers frequencies outside of the part that is interlined. That can equal worse service.
That's of course assuming that you have the fleet and manpower to maintain high frequencies outside the interlined sections. If you don't, then what difference does it make.
Then give something that could bring TOD to it more successfully. That isn't BRT.
Read above
Snowstorms? Ottawa proved they were horrible in snow.
Better than the LRT
That is why I have in other places posted that I feel that we should bury all RT. Problem is, it can be very expensive.

What if it was buried the whole way, or in a trench?
Then its no longer effectively LRT. Now you have a metro that is gutted due to using LRVs for no good reason which only results in lower capacity. The most effective use in LRT technology is either as a light S-Bahn, or as an enhanced Streetcar. In both of these cases cars can get on the tracks no problem. The moment its entirely grade separated (which again there is no way in hell this will apply to London) its just a worse light metro.
How would it make things worse for those along the corridors that will be BRT?
More expensive which leads to worse frequencies and a smaller network. All to get capacity that London doesn't need.
No, it is to move a lot of people.
Where do you get a lot of people? Dense areas.
Density does not bring the ridership you think it does. Look at the TTC Subway. Compare Subway Stations that are in extremely dense areas with no bus connections like NYC and Wellesley, vs stations that have nothing around them but with major bus connections like York Mills. The latter get WAY more ridership than the former, because again, let me reiterate, DENSITY IS NOT THE BIGGEST CONTRIBUTOR OF RIDERSHIP. Hopefully I made that clear enough.
When building a new RT system,if your goal from the get go is to service those at the far reaches of the existing transit lines, your forcus is very wrong and you should get out of the planning business.
That's literally the whole point. The whole point of building transit is to get people from point A to point B as quickly as possible.If you're building transit for the sake of density, you're not serving anyone.

A tale of 2 cities. Edmonton and Calgary. One built their line underground in their downtown when they first constructed it. One built it on the surface. One of them has issues on their downtown section, and one does not.
Spending taxpayer money need to not just be about solving a problem today, but for preventing problems tomorrow. Brampton is spending money twice to solve the same problem. We should not be proud of that. We should be disgusted with that.
Brampton is spending money taxpayer money 1.5x to solve the problem both today and tomorrow.

The thing you're missing is converting a BRT to LRT is extremely easy. Once you have a dedicated Rapidway like York Region, the hard part is over. Utilities were relocated, the ROW was created, if they ever need to upgrade to LRT, you just shutdown the rapidway for a few months, lay down tracks, and build an MSF along the route. Not that expensive. The reason why its not LRT is because A) There isn't capacity to justify it, and B) The rapidways don't go far enough. Imagine if instead of building a BRT, they built an LRT on Yonge Street. If you're riding Viva Blue south, now everyone has to transfer at 19th gamble from a bus to an LRT, just to continue on their journey thus requiring a linear transfer. This will discourage ridership, and makes using the transit far less convenient. In the future when ridership is high enough to the point where the capacity brought by LRT is worth it, then we can begin discussing converting it to LRT, and extending the ROW north to newmarket.

The thing you fail to understand, and let me reiterate this, THERE IS NO PRACTICAL DIFFERENCE BETWEEN LRT AND BRT. The ONLY difference is that LRTs have more capacity, meanwhile BRTs have more flexibility. EVERY NEGATIVE YOU HIGHLIGHTED ABOUT BRTs APPLY TO LRTs, AND EVERY REASON YOU GAVE THAT MADE IT SEEM LIKE THOSE ISSUES DIDN'T APPLY TO LRT ALSO APPLY TO BRT. Nothing more, nothing less.

If you continue to argue the same points over and over again, then god help you. If you cannot understand what I just outlined in bold, then good luck out there, you're going to need it.

Back