News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Here's something that might blow your minds:

Danforth Road, Painted Post Drive and Military Trail were once part of the same road.

And of course, my favourite vanished road in Toronto, Old Weston Road, and its bridge over CP in the Junction (of which the abutments, ramps and "bridge out" signs were still there until the tracks were realigned in the early 1990s).

And of course, my favourite vanished road in Toronto, Old Weston Road, and its bridge over CP in the Junction (of which the abutments, ramps and "bridge out" signs were still there until the tracks were realigned in the early 1990s).

I can remember being there in the early 90s; I used to glimpse it from the GO Train every day and had to see it for myself. The bridge was already gone, but the abutments remained and on the Dundas Street end, they were substantial. There was a tree growing up the middle of it! I went back there about a year and a half ago to photograph the remnants, but they themselves have been removed as well. :(

Is the old Old Cummer bridge two lanes or one? It never seemed very wide.

One, definitely. You couldn't even get two modern cars across it at the same time, let alone the monsters people were driving in the 50s and 60s. It was a country road; even in 1968 when it was replaced, that part of North York was only just coming into its own as suburbia... so the demands on it were never great, I don't imagine. There's reasonable visibility from both ends so I don't imagine there were many altercations as a result.

560228374_25336f39d9_b.jpg

I was there a little over a month ago. The real gold mine there is just to the north... the supports for the old Dundas Street bridge that was there from the 20s to the late 40s. The abutment is still there on the west side, but it's not easy to get to. Warning: it's covered with a plant I suspect might be poison ivy.

Just a few dozen metres west of that spot there's a big, wide, 1960s (I think) bridge on an abandoned section of 9th Line, lost in the trees, crossing Joshua Creek. That's pretty cool. Been there a few times.

I've seen that listed on some sites... I've been meaning to go there. :)

Highway 7, Brampton - abandoned sections even survived the construction of Mount Pleasant GO Station. Best part - use of white centre-line paint remains.

Heart Lake Road, Brampton - abandoned sections remain well after construction of Highway 410.

Second Line EHS, Brampton. Segments remain well after Highway 410 was made into an Expressway (it used to have an intersection south of Steeles), and even the 407 severance, though some sections are abandoned. It used to be known as Farmhouse Court after it was closed at 410.

Heart Lake Road, Brampton - abandoned sections remain well after construction of Highway 410.

Have you been to this part yet? Abandoned bridge over the 410 to an old stretch of Heart Lake Road. A guy sent me there last year. The winding road leading to the bridge is completely gone; it's been grassed over but you can still make it out. The coolest thing is that some of the signage was left intact! :)

That was a private road leading to a gravel quarry - it's amazing they built a bridge and everything just to serve it. The quarry and environs have become a lake and a subdivision.

Back