News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

No it wasn't - there was no steel for building during WWI. Also, the plan that it was part of wasn't developed until after the war.

Admittedly I don't know much about the development, but I personally like the building. At least from a strictly aesthetic sense, from seeing it whenever I'm walking that area. What's wrong with it?
The massing is good. Also, to overcome the akwardness of the site is to be commended. However, it barely resembles the much more striking rendering that was proposed and is loaded with cheap finishes everywhere. As some on here call it..."the skyscraper that Home Depot built." Harry's abysmal branding and signage for the project is the final insult.

And an attractive old storefront was destroyed to build it - it was supposed to have been put into the glass atrium part, then not,then a facsimile was put up, and taken down, then it was supposed to be tacked onto another on La Stinsonetta's buildings, then not.

I wish all these facades could be shipped off site and stored in a warehouse somewhere for appropriate future use rather than being awkwardly incorporated in developments that don't suit them.

No it wasn't - there was no steel for building during WWI. Also, the plan that it was part of wasn't developed until after the war.

Whipping out my copy of William Dendy's Lost Toronto for reference, I can tell you that the Registry Building was started in 1914 and opened in 1917. And WWI didn't lead to absolute embargos of steel construction (the Quebec Bridge was finished in these years, remember). And the plan in question was the Federal Avenue plan of 1911, not the 1929 Cambrai Avenue plan.

AP, between blithely dismissing the demolished Bank of Toronto and blithely offering false history, I'd have to say you're one heck of a historically ignorant/historically contemptuous jerk.

Just like the old TD building that was thankfully destroyed for the TD Centre. A run of the mill pastiche of historical styles was replaced by something unique, designed by the greatest architect of our time.

Yeah! Good riddance!

bankoftoronto.jpg

Yeah! Good riddance!

bankoftoronto.jpg

I'd take this over the entire TD Centre.

The massing is good. Also, to overcome the akwardness of the site is to be commended. However, it barely resembles the much more striking rendering that was proposed and is loaded with cheap finishes everywhere. As some on here call it..."the skyscraper that Home Depot built." Harry's abysmal branding and signage for the project is the final insult.

Ah, well when you put it that way it doesn't sound as great. I never saw the original proposals for it, so I guess to me there was less relative disappointment. I've also never taken a very close look at it, I just liked its profile and appearance in the skyline.

aren't left overs from the old TD building in Guildwood Park now?

Regrettable as the demolition may be, statements like this only fuel the APs of this world...

People are allowed to prefer the humdrum and pedestrian over the brilliant and extraordinary.

And I stand corrected on the old Registry Office. Our archival photos here show something else there in during the war, but they must be mis-dated.

AP, between blithely dismissing the demolished Bank of Toronto and blithely offering false history, I'd have to say you're one heck of a historically ignorant/historically contemptuous jerk.

Well, coming from a asshole poseur, I'll take that as a compliment.

I'm still miffed how this one was lost. Joe Shuster, the co-creator of Superman who worked in this building actually drew it into his comic strips back in the 30's.

superman.jpeg
80king.jpeg

torontostar.jpg

Back