Gorgeous, Charming! I wish the city had a big box of money to commission CC + A to create another dozen parks throughout the city. Excellent work.

While Parks really does need more funds, both for capital and operating, it does spend hundreds of millions on Parks Capital project over any 10-year period.

Some of that money is spent quite unwisely.

There is also a decent sized pot of S.37 money and new 'Community Benefits' money available.

The City can afford afford to hire CCxA, fairly easily I would argue for at least 1 significant project per year.

If they did that, and hired Claude directly to oversee and teach the City's Parks Capital Project and L.A. teams how to do what they do better, it would be money well spent.

While Parks really does need more funds, both for capital and operating, it does spend hundreds of millions on Parks Capital project over any 10-year period.

Some of that money is spent quite unwisely.

There is also a decent sized pot of S.37 money and new 'Community Benefits' money available.

The City can afford afford to hire CCxA, fairly easily I would argue for at least 1 significant project per year.

If they did that, and hired Claude directly to oversee and teach the City's Parks Capital Project and L.A. teams how to do what they do better, it would be money well spent.
But what about those pesky standards that you mentioned?

More water features need to be incorporated into designs. They give parks life from and otherwise static state.

But what about those pesky standards that you mentioned?

Claude largely ignores them; and he's Claude, so no one says anything. As it should be.

He doesn't design parks from the inside, so he doesn't get the same pro-forma to-do list.

He gets typically two types of projects, open design competitions, in which the public gets input, and private commissions from developers who know his value.

But his ability to look past silly check lists and dumb precedents is why we need him to spend a year teaching the in-house staff, and altering the processes they work under.

He doesn't care, Parks can't 'fire him'. But parks in-house managers and L.A.s are not as big on fighting dumb ideas as it may not be seen as a career-friendly choice.

I should say, again, some of the in-house staff do know what they are doing and do kick-back at dumb ideas; but high turnover, lots of junior staff, and lots of risk-averse managers do take their toll on outcomes.

Also, Claude does work with higher budgets than the in-house crew almost ever get to see.

Parks to Claude: Go perform a miracle with $10,000,000 (and he does, get gets you a $15,000,000 park for the price with very astute choices. )

Parks to Staff: Go perform a miracle, here's $1,500,000. Tougher gig that.

Last edited:
July 7, 2023

What a Lovely park...

IMG_20230707_114746767_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230707_114817977_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230707_114822845_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230707_114844436.jpg

IMG_20230707_114913011_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230707_114932701_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230707_114957415_HDR.jpg

As I had suspected. The water is not treated and algae is setting hold. It would be a good deterrent to those who want to venture in.

IMG_0237.jpeg

IMG_0236.jpeg

In the northwest part of the pond the water is more viscous due to the accumulation of detritus and the wind forcing everything into that part. There is a smell of pond algae here.

Unidentified object:

IMG_0238.jpeg

Looks like people are prying the rocks out:

IMG_0241.jpeg

Sadly, I think it’s only a matter of time before waterfowl descend here and people start feeding them; thus them staying (eg. flying cobra aka Canadian Goose).

Something I discovered off to the side:

IMG_0239.jpeg

IMG_0240.jpeg

Last edited:
As I had suspected. The water is not treated and algae is setting hold. It would be a good deterrent to those who want to venture in.

View attachment 490762

View attachment 490763

In the northwest part of the pond the water is more viscous due to the accumulation of detritus and the wind forcing everything into that part. There is a smell of pond algae here.

Unidentified object:

View attachment 490764

WT is explicit that the pond water is treated with Ozone and UV. The system was paid for and installed. You would seem to be suggesting it is malfunctioning and/or turned off.

Please send them a note on that and or tweet at them or such.

WT is explicit that the pond water is treated with Ozone and UV. The system was paid for and installed. You would seem to be suggesting it is malfunctioning and/or turned off.

Please send them a note on that and or tweet at them or such.
I will send them a note. My suspicion is the circulation is not strong enough to force the water to circulate in the pond thus leading to dead spots.

On the bright side, the pond is now fully acclimatized for fish. I wonder how long or if someone will release their pet goldfish lol.

Last edited:
I will send them a note. My suspicion is the circulation is not strong enough to force the water to circulate in the pond thus leading to dead spots.

On the bright side, the pond is now full acclimatized for fish. I wonder how long or if someone will release their pet goldfish lol.
Koi fish for koi pond...🙀

Back