News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

At the top of my wish list? A station at 95 St on the Capital Line to serve Chinatown, Little Italy and McCauley would do wonders. I've always been perplexed by this omission since the LRT already moves at relatively low speeds at this crossing.
That would be nice, but unfortunately that would be far at the bottom of the list as I don't know if they even have any plans or ideas for a station there. I think the one that could serve Chinatown a whole lot better though is if there is that space under the remands then that would be nice for right into Chinatown. Even if there isn't that space it would be a great location to create a new station.

At the top of my wish list? A station at 95 St on the Capital Line to serve Chinatown, Little Italy and McCauley would do wonders. I've always been perplexed by this omission since the LRT already moves at relatively low speeds at this crossing.

Agreed, the east side of 95th would be a perfect spot for one - under a 10 minute walk to Little Italy, Chinatown 97 Street and the higher density residential apartments of Boyle Street. Seems like a no brainer and should be ahead in priority of the proposed 40th Avenue Station on the southside near Harry Ainlay High School.

Since the south extension is already funded, I'd love for this to go towards doing the Metro Line phase two extension sooner.
The funding is not in place.
Another project that could benefit is the planned Capital Line South extension to Ellerslie Road. Preliminary design work on the project is complete and the city was awaiting funding to be able to move forward on construction.

Lemme Just leave this here:
They could actually build out this disused station and make underground connections to the surrounding area/along 97th street

But anyway, I think definitely Capital south and Metro north should be highest on the list like has been mentioned, but what about maybe also buying more electric/hybrid busses to make more "Frequent routes" (15 mins or less) outlined in the Bus Network Redesign? 🙃

Last edited:
T
That'd be good, but my wish list would include a Metro Line NW expansion coming sooner. After the VL West is done, the NW will be the only part of town without rail.

T

That'd be good, but my wish list would include a Metro Line NW expansion coming sooner. After the VL West is done, the NW will be the only part of town without rail.
I question the cost/benefit of building an extension to Castle Downs and St. Albert, but I can see why people want "LRT to everywhere".

There's a lot of low hanging fruit like better connections along Whyte (and Alberta Ave) once it's bookended by stations on either end.

I question the cost/benefit of building an extension to Castle Downs and St. Albert, but I can see why people want "LRT to everywhere".

There's a lot of low hanging fruit like better connections along Whyte (and Alberta Ave) once it's bookended by stations on either end.
My point in connecting more parts of the city to the network is to guide future growth and limit, at least a little bit, the sprawl.
Also, bringing the LRT to residential areas further from the core, we don't alienate these people from the areas of interest (Whyte, Downtown, 124 St) and give lower income/cost transit options other than the bus (which is a terribly unreliable mode, generally speaking).
Also, I don't see Whyte or Alberta Ave getting LRT in their ROW, not for some 40+ years, to say the least. Best I can see is BRT or streetcars, and even that is a bit of a stretch. Besides the construction costs of doing such interventions and the backlash that would come from the disrupted businesses, there's the question of the actual benefits of doing so. Realistically speaking, I'd settle for narrower parking exclusive lanes, wider sidewalks, a dedicated bus lane on each direction, a median and no more left turns between 109 and 99 streets, on Whyte ave.

My point in connecting more parts of the city to the network is to guide future growth and limit, at least a little bit, the sprawl.
Also, bringing the LRT to residential areas further from the core, we don't alienate these people from the areas of interest (Whyte, Downtown, 124 St) and give lower income/cost transit options other than the bus (which is a terribly unreliable mode, generally speaking).
Also, I don't see Whyte or Alberta Ave getting LRT in their ROW, not for some 40+ years, to say the least. Best I can see is BRT or streetcars, and even that is a bit of a stretch. Besides the construction costs of doing such interventions and the backlash that would come from the disrupted businesses, there's the question of the actual benefits of doing so. Realistically speaking, I'd settle for narrower parking exclusive lanes, wider sidewalks, a dedicated bus lane on each direction, a median and no more left turns between 109 and 99 streets, on Whyte ave.
Agree on all counts

There's a lot of low hanging fruit like better connections along Whyte (and Alberta Ave) once it's bookended by stations on either end.Th
The cost/benefit is having a great base network which reaches all corners of the city, gives many citizens access to high quality and efficient transit and encourages redevelopment and interest in more areas (and helps take traffic from bigger satellite cities like St. Albert off of Edmonton roads and onto said efficient transit). At the present moment in time the area where the LRT is gonna go isn't very dense or heavily developed, but trust me when I say that, as time moves nearer to the start of construction we'll see mid-high density proposals along the future line, especially in areas like Greisbach and Castle Downs.

The cost/benefit is having a great base network which reaches all corners of the city, gives many citizens access to high quality and efficient transit and encourages redevelopment and interest in more areas (and helps take traffic from bigger satellite cities like St. Albert off of Edmonton roads and onto said efficient transit). At the present moment in time the area where the LRT is gonna go isn't very dense or heavily developed, but trust me when I say that, as time moves nearer to the start of construction we'll see mid-high density proposals along the future line, especially in areas like Greisbach and Castle Downs.
Yup. A good base network is always a good idea rather than playing catchup when it comes to this, and LRT routes will always be a factor for more dense development.

We just need more money thrown at Edmonton for public transit lmao. This is good news overall.

They could actually build out this disused station and make underground connections to the surrounding area/along 97th street
I've often thought that the "future station" is perfectly placed to serve McCauley/Boyle Street/Royal Alberta Museum. It could probably even be connected to the museum by underground foot tunnel, giving the museum its own dedicated station. It is rather close to Churchill, but I don't think it's much closer than Central to Bay/Enterprise. The speculative future LRT map that Don Iveson put out during his first campaign includes it, so I would guess its at least in consideration (though clearly not a priority).

Speaking of adding stations on existing lines, a station at 37 Avenue (speculatively called Duggan/Greenfield) would really help to plug the rather large gap between Southgate and Century Park.

Back