News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Yeah no kidding. It amazes me that people move out the far suburbs and then immediately expect all the same services as the established neighbourhoods near the centre of the city. If you want those services, don't move to the fringes or at least be ready to wait until public transit is built out in established areas first.

Reality is SW is fastest growing and one of the most desirable parts of Edmonton so we do need rapid transit there. However Valley Line is a very good thing, and should be acknowledged for that. It's not an either or proposition.
Yeah, I don't disagree that rapid transit should cover the SW as well, but to make it an either/or proposition as Cartmell makes it infuriates me.

I can't believe some of you chumps want Cartmell as the next Mayor of Edmonton. He might as well be the Mayor of Windermere.
Sohi's only been in office for two years and seems to be doing a decent job. Let's not start planning his replacement just yet.

That being said, the name I keep hearing as a future mayor is Ashley Salvador.

Sohi's only been in office for two years and seems to be doing a decent job. Let's not start planning his replacement just yet.

I don't think I've heard anyone say that... I think we need someone who can help Edmonton think and act like the capital city it is, like the fastest growing city in Canada and like Alberta's economic engine. I'm concerned that no one seems to have this approach at present. We need a big/transformational thinker, someone who can sell a vision. Not someone who is more interested in fiddling around the edges or super into policy wonk stuff, or controversial/divisive issues.

It's been mentioned on a bunch of fantasy maps but I was thinking Highlands / Beverly would be a really nice spot if it had some sort of LRT branch line or decent BRT. Was driving through that area a few times this week and was pretty impressed by it, especially the area around the Highlands professional building and Fox Burger.

Reality is SW is fastest growing and one of the most desirable parts of Edmonton so we do need rapid transit there. However Valley Line is a very good thing, and should be acknowledged for that. It's not an either or proposition.
Sure it's good to have rapid transit expanding to newer areas but when we have large chunks of the city severely underserved by transit such as the NW that are considerably older than the SW.

For the SW I think BRT in a dedicated ROW in the far too big Terwillegar Drive ROW is the way to go for now. LRT could be a possibility maybe in about 50 years but it has bigger priorities elsewhere as other have already pointed out. BRT is a much cheaper and faster way to build out a network and in new, suburban areas it's probably a better option for now at least in my opinion.

@jimmilegs
I'm so sorry for just liking your post and NOT sharing the map 😭 My bad

Here's the My Maps link

If that doesn't work here's a few screenshots:

1699643212913.png

1699643404711.png1699643467373.png1699643555660.png1699643644377.png1699643704553.png
A couple notes:
  • There are 9 Lines on the map currently:
    • Capital Line (Blue)
    • Metro Line (Red)
    • Valley Line (Green)
    • Energy Line (Purple)
    • Festival Line (Yellow)
    • Jasper Line (Orange)
    • Strathcona Line ("Peach")
    • South Crosstown Line (Turquoise)
    • North Crosstown Line ("Lime")
  • I have not really updated or cleaned up this project in a while, so I don't necessarily agree with everything on it at the moment and the way I chose to organize things! It'll probably change soon haha
  • This doesn't include but is relates to some other maps I've made about regional rail, BRT, etc.

It's been mentioned on a bunch of fantasy maps but I was thinking Highlands / Beverly would be a really nice spot if it had some sort of LRT branch line or decent BRT. Was driving through that area a few times this week and was pretty impressed by it, especially the area around the Highlands professional building and Fox Burger.
In my dream world there would be an LRT that runs down 118th from Blatchford to Beverly

I had high hopes for Ashley Salvador. But since being elected she's been a complete ghost on the northside of her ward. Worse, her office almost never follows up on contact requests. I'm sure she has lots of high profile backers but as a citizen she's a total dissapointment. Look how little effort she has put in to draw attention to the debacle that is

A Valley Line style extension parallel to 118 would be amazing. It already has super high transit usage that often gets backed up in traffic. Don't see it happening in my lifetime but it would be a great idea.

My wet dream for the LRT includes a few very wild, and some more reasonable things:

On the very wild realm, we have:

A high-floor line coming from Sherwood Park, via Capilano, heading southwest until going underground at 75st/Whyte, connecting at Bonnie Moon and the Health Sciences Station and moving west, towards the WEM.

A high floor line going south from the Garrison on 97 St, then Princess Elizabeth, under 109 st, joining the current ROW until McKernan-Belgravia station, Then SW towards Fort Edmonton Park (with a stop there), and then south on Tewillegar Dr. all the way to Windermere.

On the not-so-wild realm:

Extend the tunnels west under Jasper Ave, and north on 124st, up to 111 ave, and head west until the Telus World of Science.
In this case, I would make this part of the Capital line, which would now go from Clareview (Gorman) to TWOS, via DT.
I'd also spur this line with a lower frequency branch to the Highlands to connect Concordia University)

Extend VLSE down 66st to 25 Ave SW (where they have been building surprisingly densely, with several blocks of Apartments/Condos and Townhomes surrounding a new commercial centre.

If all of these would come to pass, I would reorganize the routes and rename the lines, and have the lines be:

Garrison - YEG (Line 1)
Gorman -TWOS (Line 2); Highlands - TWOS (Line 2-a)
Sherwood Park - WEM (Line 3)
St. Albert - Windermere (Line 4)
Orchards - Lewis Farms (Line 5)

The biggest connectors on the system would be Churchill (Lines 2, 4 and 5) and Health Sciences (Lines 1, 3 and 4), with 3 lines each.
We'd have connection points on Central, Bay and Corona (Lines 2 and 4), Government Centre, University and McKernan-Belgravia (Lines 1 and 4), Bonnie Down, Misericordia and WEM (Lines 3 and 5).

These would be able to connect all 8 quadrants of the city, every single major destination in Edmonton would be served and we'd connect the other two largest cities in the CMA to the system.

In my mind, these would be supported by BRT running though some major E-W (23, 153 and 137 avenues) and N-S arterials (50st south of the river, 66 st and 142 st north of the river) and a streetcar (TTC Style) going from Blatchford to Beverly.

Back