News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I still question the Twin Brooks station but I don't question the need for the extension. Indeed eventually the LRT and Rail would be complimentary and appreciated at the airport.
The Twin Brooks extension is definitely something that I think should've been delayed for grade separation. The only reason I can think of is if they wanted to densify Twin Brooks and turn it into a TOD.

Cartmell aside, this extra $242 million is... interesting. I am very concerned how the hell we suddenly need $242 million extra after already scaling back the project, but, how this all came about is interesting. Checked the June 11 council meeting agenda, figured it would be in Spring Capital Budget Adjustment. Nope. Turns out it is a bylaw item. This came to Council May 22 and we approved in camera. Apparently they needed to approve this by May 29 as that was when the bid for winning SLRT team expired.

I assume it was this item from the May 22 Special City Council meeting, under Private Reports
Procurement Update
Addendum
Sections 16 (disclosure harmful to business interests of a third party), 21 (disclosure harmful to intergovernmental relations), 24 (advice from officials) and 25 (disclosure harmful to economic and other interests of a public body) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act

From the report on the bylaw as part of the June 11, 2024 Council Meeting:
"The Capital Line South LRT: Century Park to Ellerslie Road project went to market in 2022 with the Request for Qualification (RFQ), and two bidders were subsequently invited to participate in the Request for Proposal (RFP) process. The bids received for the main Design-Build contract exceeded the funds allocated within the approved capital project budget. Economic challenges, inflation, supply chain disruptions and labour availability significantly impacted the construction market and costs. To alleviate funding shortfalls, the project team has worked closely with the preferred bidder over the past two months to reduce costs, while maintaining the project benefits in the business case. However, inflationary pressures, risk and market volatility have resulted in a remaining budget shortfall of $242 million. Details are provided in Attachment 4."

From Attachment 4 of the Bylaw 20866 package:
"Capital Line South LRT Extension
At the May 22, 2024, Special City Council meeting, Administration recommended to City Council to increase the budget for the Capital Line South LRT Extension project in order to award the design and construction contract to the preferred bidder prior to the bid expiring on May 29, 2024."
And further on:
"The preferred bidder’s bid was only valid until May 29, 2024. After that date, there was a high likelihood costs would further increase. Council approving the budget adjustment gives the City more time over the coming months to continue advocating for additional funding partner contributions"

From the Project Profile:
"2024 May 22, Council Minutes (Private Reports, #24-08): 16-66-7018 Capital Line South LRT Century Park to Ellerslie Road re-costing budget adjustment for an additional $242 million of tax-supported debt budget, which is made of $179 million in net-new tax-supported debt, and a transfer of $63 million of tax-supported debt from 11-66-1673 Valley Line Southeast"

And related to all of this...
A report on the options and cost analysis for the Ellerslie Road Grade Separation has been rescheduled with a revised due date of October 22, 2024.

The Twin Brooks extension is definitely something that I think should've been delayed for grade separation. The only reason I can think of is if they wanted to densify Twin Brooks and turn it into a TOD.
It's all TOD now, best to get people used to the trains and riding early...

How Do We Get a Handle on Our Big Projects?
Timothy Cartmell Timothy Cartmell | June 10, 2024

Brick or vinyl? Vinyl or brick? Now what should we chose for our LRT stations? I will have to think about that.
Naw just kidding. That is quite the rant with all his prejudices showing through. Complains about the tram to the west then advocates for more bus service as it will be quicker or something. Just think of the high operating costs Tim before you go on your next rant.

Brick or vinyl? Vinyl or brick? Now what should we chose for our LRT stations? I will have to think about that.
Naw just kidding. That is quite the rant with all his prejudices showing through. Complains about the tram to the west then advocates for more bus service as it will be quicker or something. Just think of the high operating costs Tim before you go on your next rant.
And that the thing with his suggestion that the SLRT could fund two bus garages and the buses for them... but you then need to fund operating costs of those buses... all of the drivers and then the fuel and maintenance.

We have an attention seeking left wing councilor using the position to further his political career, so I suppose it only makes sense to have the same on the right wing.

They are both part of the reason our city government is not functioning well and both deserve an early retirement.

Exactly! Dream scenario would be to have both a rail and LRT connection to the airport.
Forgot to ask, rail connection from where.

The LRT to the airport would be sweet, but doubt we have the volume to support it at rush hour frequency, and if we intend airline passengers, room will need to be set aside for luggage which negates it's passenger carrying capacity elsewhere on the city lines.

Right now the 747 at a more frequent level PLUS free/seamless interchange to other ETS modes would be a interim dream...

Last edited:
Skytrain rarely attracts riders who have more than one full-size luggage. The flex areas intended for wheelchairs and bicycles when unused can be used by travelers with luggage or as extra standing room during rush hour.

Forgot to ask, rail connection from where.

The LRT to the airport would be sweet, but doubt we have the volume to support it at rush hour frequency, and if we intend airline passengers, room will need to be set aside for luggage which negates it's passenger carrying capacity elsewhere on the city lines.

Right now the 747 at a more frequent level PLUS free/seamless interchange to other ETS modes would be a interim dream...
A more frequent 747 would help a lot. One of the reasons there is so much negatively about our current mayor and council is they can't see to do relatively sensible things like this.

Back