News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I wonder what the feasibility of converting the Capital and Metro Lines to Automated Light Metro (along the lines of REM or Skytrain) would look like. The biggest costs would probably be the elimination of all at-grade crossings and purchasing the necessary rolling stock. Would the price be unreasonable or is this something that could happen in the future (not imminently but within the next 30-40 years)

Honest Answer:

Fair gates and CBTC should be brought in for the high-floor lines where they can be, such as in the grade-separated stations and sections. Even platform screen doors/gates would be interesting if possible.

As for full automation, not going to happen to the LRT. Maybe when Edmonton has like 5 million people we'll build an express metro system which would be cool!

An actual tram / modern streetcar could work on Whyte
Rather than low floor lrt
In the end, the differences between streetcars and high-floor LRT lines are drastic, but the differences between streetcar lines and low-floor LRT are more subtle. Some systems may even be a hybrid of both options.
So how do you differentiate between Low Floor LRT and a tram?

In the end, the differences between streetcars and high-floor LRT lines are drastic, but the differences between streetcar lines and low-floor LRT are more subtle. Some systems may even be a hybrid of both options.
So how do you differentiate between Low Floor LRT and a tram?
Think TTC streetcar style

Multiple destinations

Limited stop infrastructure

Short consists very frequently

Boston style Big Dig and put the ambulances plus LRT underground on Whyte ave? I'm sure there's a million and a half reasons it's not feasible but hey, complex problems call for creative solutions.

OIG (8).jpeg
OIG (11).jpeg
OIG (12).jpeg

MetroLineEast.jpg

Quick Google Earth Sketch of a potential Metro Line East alignment through Whyte.

Green = At Grade
Red = Underground
Yellow = Elevated

There is a brief at-grade section at the university, followed by a drop into the main tunnel just after Health Sciences Jubilee.

There are stops at Garneau and another stop I've simply called "Whyte"

The route then drops south of Whyte Ave in order to connect with a future regional rail hub at the Strathcona Rail Yards and a potential LRT line in the streetcar alignment. If there was anywhere in Edmonton that a cross-platform transfer could happen, this is it.

It then heads back to Whyte and soon after, exits the tunnel before at-grade stations at Mill Creek and St Jean

Next it heads up a ramp onto a small elevated section to avoid any conflict with the Valley Line, there is an transfer station at Bonnie Doon with the Valley.

It drops down from the elevated section and terminate (for now) at Kenilworth with potential for an extension to Sherwood Park and in particular, Ordze Transit terminal (which just so happens to be my transit terminal).

I don't understand the opposition to Whyte LRT service. Even if it comes at the cost of vehicle transport, so what? This would connect all of Strathcona to the network, and the needs of these people are more important than the people just driving through in metal boxes.

You are looking for a way to replace "people driving through in metal boxes" -- here's a hint: the people driving through in metal boxes are not going to give up their metal boxes for a train length of different metal boxes. Old Strat deserves better than trying to solve a problem with a new problem.

You are looking for a way to replace "people driving through in metal boxes" -- here's a hint: the people driving through in metal boxes are not going to give up their metal boxes for a train length of different metal boxes. Old Strat deserves better than trying to solve a problem with a new problem.
Whyte Ave is not just serving say people traveling from around Bonnie Doon to the University. If that were the case this might sense to limit it to LRT.

It is a major east west commuter road in the city as there is no nearby major roads that cross the railway tracks. So it is a main route for everything, including fire trucks and ambulances too. There are also people coming to Whyte Ave from throughout the city. It is a very busy road and serves a lot of different users.

View attachment 518400
Quick Google Earth Sketch of a potential Metro Line East alignment through Whyte.

Green = At Grade
Red = Underground
Yellow = Elevated

There is a brief at-grade section at the university, followed by a drop into the main tunnel just after Health Sciences Jubilee.

There are stops at Garneau and another stop I've simply called "Whyte"

The route then drops south of Whyte Ave in order to connect with a future regional rail hub at the Strathcona Rail Yards and a potential LRT line in the streetcar alignment. If there was anywhere in Edmonton that a cross-platform transfer could happen, this is it.

It then heads back to Whyte and soon after, exits the tunnel before at-grade stations at Mill Creek and St Jean

Next it heads up a ramp onto a small elevated section to avoid any conflict with the Valley Line, there is an transfer station at Bonnie Doon with the Valley.

It drops down from the elevated section and terminate (for now) at Kenilworth with potential for an extension to Sherwood Park and in particular, Ordze Transit terminal (which just so happens to be my transit terminal).
Cool map! I also want a subway under Whyte and here's my idea:

1699380892063.png

Ignore the 6 lines on the map just pay attention to the stations 😆

BRT will suffice for the time being but I believe the Whyte ave and 124th street metros are gonna happen one day.

Last edited:

Back