News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Anyways, back on topic, I have developed some charts of my results. For the record, in cases where no one selected an option, it does not have its own column. So when you see columns labelled "1-3-4-5" I am not trying to throw anyone off, it is just that no one selected option 2. There is probably a way to make it show, but it took me long enough to figure out how to create these graphs in the first place.

EDIT: Click through to get the full images.

Sheppard Total

Eglinton Total

Overall Total

One thing I noticed by doing this is just how diverse the commute times actually are! Going back to my last post, it goes to show that multiple modes of focus on key and high use corridors are in fact a very good option to explore.

I agree, B-D stop spacing is perfect for the area. Although, I would also point out that the street pattern was also laid out for exactly that (walkability to the streetcar). Suburban arterials were laid out to be ideal for farming, and later for being carved up into subdivisions. In both cases, walkability was never really factored into the equation. That's why it's so hard to overlay any type of a sensible stop spacing pattern along those routes, because the location and importance of mid-block streets varies so significantly from block to block.

I personally find that some suburban subdivisions are better suited to transit. My local Arterial street Clark Ave in Thornhill has cul de sacs, and winding collecters, but it also has numerous pedestrian only paths between the arterial (Clark Ave) and the cul-de-sacs and winding lanes. It's actually easier to walk to the street via these pathways, than it is to drive the whole way around the subdivision. I know not every subdivision is done like this, but based on my experience there are ample opportunities to retrofit our suburbs into more walkable neighbourhoods, especially with regards to public transit access.

Back