News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Commercial, industrial, residential, low density, high density...no matter what is built, it would make me kind of sad. I'm not even 25, however even I remember when this entire area was rural. I went to camp just east of here, and I remember when Major Mack was 2 lanes wide east of Woodbine, cornfields stretching to the horizon, and feeling like I really was in the country.

Such a baby. I'm in my early 40's and I can remember everything north of Steeles west of Yonge being farmland. In fact Steeles was still completely rural between Bathurst and York U. Centrepoint (then called Town And Country) in those days existed but the apartments to the west of them were still vacant land.

The Baker family were still huge land owners in the area that is now dominated by highway 7 (yes I remember when highway 7 was a 2-lane road--so nice and peaceful), the 407, and those tacky suburban "Maple lane" and Sugar bush neighbourhoods. I imagine they are wishing they'd held on to their 1000 acres another decade: $$$$$$$$$$$$ instead of $$$$.

^ American developers?

I remember when Markham had 90,000 people...back when 16th and 9th were hard lines of suburbia (except for Cachet), before the 407, when the IBM complex - on
Steeles - was fresh and new.

edit - if memory serves me correctly, the Welcome to Markham signs were at ~90,000 until the 1991 Census, when they jumped to about ~150,000.

If you live in the city, what's preventing you from a token visit to the Dufferin Mall Wal-Mart?

Anyone else feel like waxing romantic about the former rural areas of Brampton and Mississauga?

^Sure. I wish Mississauga was still farmland and we could start fresh with an urban city. I wish my great grandpa hadn't sold his 1000 acres so I could be super wealthy today. I wish I was a planning dictator who would order my "suburb" to be modeled after a pre-1940 neighbourhood. I wish I could give the entire city's architecture to one firm: aA. I wish I wish....

I wish I could give the entire city's architecture to one firm: aA. I wish I wish....

aAAAAAAAAA

fonz.jpg

Back