News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Obstacle

Don Mills Road between Overlea and O'Connor.

Great mention.

However, former City Councillor Pitfield asked for this sidewalk; transportation staff issued a report that essentially said it was impossible.

The argued there was no enough room on the hill to O'Connor.

I'm not sure I accept that argument, though no doubt it would mean re-doing the gabion baskets (retaining walls) in that section, but they're past their useful life anyway.

In any event, I thought the logical work around (though not for those in Wheel Chairs) would be to build the sidewalk from Overlea to the pinch point, then use stairs to get up and over, possibly linking to an area side street, or alternately using the tops of the retaining walls (with guardrail).

However, former City Councillor Pitfield asked for this sidewalk; transportation staff issued a report that essentially said it was impossible.

The argued there was no enough room on the hill to O'Connor.
It would certainly be difficult; but it would be easy enough to get a sidewalk down to the park in the valley. There are sections just south of Overlea that have so much pedestrian traffic, there is a deep rut carved in the grass.

I'm sure there's a way; the question is how much.

Cheapest option might be buying one of those houses on Four Oaks Gate and making a staircase or ramp up from the bottom, avoiding the bendy bit.

Morningside between West Hill Collegiate and Ellesmere. That'll likely change during Transit City construction even though nobody really walks through that area.

Back