News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Just some more info about Lantic in Mimico. The operation there is a distribution center, and they receive refined sugar by rail from the refinery in Montreal.

I wonder why Redpath stopped using rail. I have searched around and haven't found anything except for some vague mention of "revitalization" in some city report found here: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2014/ex/bgrd/backgroundfile-69428.pdf though I do know the spur was abandoned in 2008. Given the size of their operation, you would think that the cost of moving out product by truck rather than rail would be quite high unless they transload it somewhere else. Either way, I didn't know that revitalization meant filling local roads with trucks.
The Redpath folk have the advantage that they 'import' most of the raw sugar by boat so the rail spur was only used for removing refined (bulk) product. I used to see a couple of cars going out of the plant every week (normally 6 cars once every 3 weeks or so) so the rail spur really wasn't heavily used. When WT started to rebuild QQ and open up the eastern waterfront there were many public meetings about the plans and there was general agreement that it would be best to use space for an LRT (yes, I know we are STILL waiting) and the rails were in poor shape anyway. Redpath were not prepared to pay $$$ to move and upgrade the rail bed and track - it is quite long and goes east across Cherry Street, to the Don River and then doubled back west just south of the GO train yard. (That section of track is still there and leads (led) to the area further east (Toronto Water) and further south (the Cruise Ship Terminal)

Anyone remember the train restaurant that was around Redpath. I only have vague memories of it, and I never went in. But I know it was somewhere near QQE in the early 90s.

But reading the last page is disheartening. Can't have a proper port without a rail line.

Anyone remember the train restaurant that was around Redpath. I only have vague memories of it, and I never went in. But I know it was somewhere near QQE in the early 90s.

But reading the last page is disheartening. Can't have a proper port without a rail line.

Do you mean Victoria Station? It was on the north side of QQ east of Redpath's. Decent as I recall. I didn't realize it was part of a chain until I was refreshing my memory.

Edit: When I worked down there, there was a private railway car parked on the old LCBO spur (I think). I recall it was called Northern Light and owned by a family that was big in coffee but I couldn't find anything on based on what I could recall.

Last edited:

Yes, it was on east side of Lower Sherbourne at Queens Quay, about where the Monde condos are now. It closed in about 2005 I think. Made of a collection of rather run-down rail cars. I never ate there though people told me it HAD once had great food. I could not find a photo @ Archives but bet there are some.

Do you mean Victoria Station? It was on the north side of QQ east of Redpath's. Decent as I recall. I didn't realize it was part of a chain until I was refreshing my memory.

There's was also Towne and Country at the same spot. I remember that one as my favourite childhood buffet.

Yes, it was on east side of Lower Sherbourne at Queens Quay, about where the Monde condos are now. It closed in about 2005 I think. Made of a collection of rather run-down rail cars. I never ate there though people told me it HAD once had great food. I could not find a photo @ Archives but bet there are some.
UPDATE. My partner just told me it was (at the end anyway) the Town & Country https://torontoist.com/2015/05/vintage-toronto-ads-town-country/ Photos to prove it too from Google, 2007
box cars 2007.jpg
!

ah interesting. Didn't realize those cars were kicking around into the 00s. I remember it differently though.

If the port isn't going to use the rails at the port and water treatment plant, they might as well be pulled. There are a lot of better ways to use the land, especially in the case of Keating Yard.

Again, an over simplification.

I see you joined UT just to champion pulling up railway tracks. A curious reason.

I wouldn't oppose removal of the tracks between the sewage plant and the Port, which have been retained, largely by Federal fiat.

But Toronto Water, to my understanding, has been very unhappy about receiving chlorine by Truck, they had been staunch supporters of keeping the track.

Again, an over simplification.

I see you joined UT just to champion pulling up railway tracks. A curious reason.

I wouldn't oppose removal of the tracks between the sewage plant and the Port, which have been retained, largely by Federal fiat.

But Toronto Water, to my understanding, has been very unhappy about receiving chlorine by Truck, they had been staunch supporters of keeping the track.
Though I hate to see rail lines removed if they are useful and I hate to disagree with you (as we normally see eye-to-eye on things around here!) but.... I heard that Toronto Water were quite happy with truck transport and are anyway going to move to some other way to treat the sewage. Take a look back a few pages in this thread for more background and at the Canada Post building thread at https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...rs-canada-post-1s-kingsland-architects.28597/

I think the real 'scandal' here is that the CreateTO folk agreed to let Canada Post build on top of the old line before they looked into how they could continue to provide rail service. Their initial thought was to put the rail line onto Leslie Street itself was shot-down due to cables and pipes etc below it - something they ought to have been easily able to find out! Also CreateTO or the PortLands Corporation spent $$$$ a few years ago fixing the track right over to the Cruise Ship Terminal and then more $$ on a complete rebuild of the rail bridge at the Don Roadway. All wasted!

Though I hate to see rail lines removed if they are useful and I hate to disagree with you (as we normally see eye-to-eye on things around here!) but.... I heard that Toronto Water were quite happy with truck transport and are anyway going to move to some other way to treat the sewage. Take a look back a few pages in this thread for more background and at the Canada Post building thread at https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...rs-canada-post-1s-kingsland-architects.28597/

I think the real 'scandal' here is that the CreateTO folk agreed to let Canada Post build on top of the old line before they looked into how they could continue to provide rail service. Their initial thought was to put the rail line onto Leslie Street itself was shot-down due to cables and pipes etc below it - something they ought to have been easily able to find out! Also CreateTO or the PortLands Corporation spent $$$$ a few years ago fixing the track right over to the Cruise Ship Terminal and then more $$ on a complete rebuild of the rail bridge at the Don Roadway. All wasted!

The only part about which we may disagree at all is Toronto Water.

I know they've switched to truck and seem to be dealing with it; beyond that I can't speak to their attitude before the conversion, beyond one conservation with a senior engineer there with whom I am an acquaintance, who left me with the impression that trucks were perceived as a bad idea/hassle, at the time.

I don't take it personally, if you've heard different!

Reactions: DSC
^ But is it all wasted if the City entered into an OMB/LPAT settlement protecting the rail corridor? Why would they do that if it was going to be too expensive to rebuild or go around Canada Post? Won't they need to start a new OPA process to remove the transportation corridor if they want to? Here's what I was told:

March 2019 - The detailed design for the relocation of the spur line to run down Leslie Street is progressing. Work further up the line, at Don Roadway, is also proceeding which involves interrupting the spur line access and is part of the Port Lands Flood Protection Project.

February 2020 - Under a settlement reached at the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal regarding Ports Toronto's appeal of Official Plan Amendment 387 (see attached documents below), the City is required to maintain the rail line to Ports Toronto's facilities in the Port Lands. The refurbishment and routing of the rail line will be considered as part of the Broadview Extension EA process. Considerations will also be given to Toronto Water's use of the rail line in support of their operations at Ashbridges Bay Treatment Plant. A public consultation process for the EA is yet to begin but will likely commence later in the spring or early summer.

Based on the feedback received so far to date on the Broadview EA process, public consultations are projected to begin in May of this year. Notice will likely be provided thru the local councillor's office and the local media. Its usually at that first meeting where you can add your name to a notice list.

I've posted this before in this thread I believe.

I assume things got delayed because of covid-19, so I'll ask for an update.

OPA 387: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JKF-4EaCc2DFo698AIrYM4EnWbT4ltbn/view?usp=sharing

Decision: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JKvDi7BmyDeAVVstuPPK-Aq--iW_vM-W/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
Port Lands spur update via @crs1026

That is unfortunate. The rail spur to the port is a good resource for the city to have. Its current situation was totally avoidable. Hopefully it survives and sees renewed use, but if the city is so hell-bent on chasing industry away, what can be done?

Back