News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Watch Martin undo everything that Chretien started. No Kyoto, no gay marriages, no legalized pot. It is all going to be reversed.... I have no doubts in my mind that the hot issues which have made Canada a little more progressive this past year, will all go flushing down the drain.

I am certainly not a fan of Martin, and I agree, all of the progressive moves Chretien has made in his final "legacy" year are in danger, especially as Martin courts the Alberta vote and progressive cabinet ministers and MPs are purged. It it these "legacy" policies that have Chretien so popular this year.

Yet Martin is still very attractive to people from all points on the policital spectrum. The honeymoon will come crashing down soon.

I just wish Chretien started his whole "legacy" thing earlier. Most of his term in office was so disappointing.

While I agree that Martin will likely re-evaluate many of the reforms that Chretien has initiated lately, I doubt he'll reverse the Liberal position on gay marriage. Gay marriage is supported by a clear majority of Canadians, and cancelling support for this would cost the Liberals dearly. Once this reform has been initiated, it's hard to undo. As far as marijuana decriminalisation, its also a sticky issue. While we are risking pissing-off the Americans quite a bit, decriminalisation will save Canada BILLIONS of dollars in reduced demand on the courts' time and many fewer people being placed in prison. Marijuana related offenses represent a significant proportion of all cases before the courts and inmates in confinement.

Kyoto, on the other hand, is in serious danger. The reason for this has less to do any perceived conservatism on Martin's part than with the fact that Kyoto is a good idea in principal and a bad idea in execution. It doesn't do enough, and places the burden for reductions unevenly between the industrial and developing nations, as well as between industrial nations themselves. Australia, for instance, was allowed to increase its emissions by 8 over 1992 levels where Canada was required to reduce its emissions by 12% from 1992 levels. The reason we agreed to this was to show solidarity with the USA which was also agreeing to similar reductions. Obviously, since then the US has backed out of the treaty. And since the USA is no longer on bound, it would be quite contrary to Canada's interests to proceed with its commitment.

In other words, Kyoto needs to be renegotiated in light of the USA's decision to back out of the treaty.

I doubt he'll reverse the Liberal position on gay marriage.

Martin's position on this issue has been shaky at best. There is a move within the Liberal Party to axe legalized gay marriages. It has been all over the news about how this will be a re-election issue that the Liberal Party will want to avoid. I bet that Martin will just stall on the issue, make sure that the Supreme Court doesnt come back with a decision on whether the new legislation is constitutional or not until after the election, and then will kill it.

Kyoto is as good as dead for sure.

As I said before, Paul Martin in the billionaire industrial capitalist who shares your pain.

He is a member of the business elite. He does not eat granola. Draw your own clear, obvious, simple and easy to understand conclusions.

Back