News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The current garbage/recycling/compost schedule works just fine for us. Previous owners of my house had an extra large grey bin, which I downsized to a large immediately. Even the large bin, some weeks it's 3/4 full, other weeks it consists of 3 grocery bags of garbage. If I downsized to a medium grey bin, our family would still be fine.

Our large blue bin actually does get full but I attribute that to all the flyers, boxes, packaging, etc. that we accumulate through purchases and what not, throughout the course of 2 weeks.

The green bin, on the other hand, gets completely full by the end of the week. Since we cook most of our meals at home, I don't think I can ever recall a week where the green bin was less than 3/4 full.

All in all, though, I have no issues with the waste pickup in my neighborhood.

Actually, due to (yes, that guy once again) Mayor Miller & his purchase of a dumpsite, Toronto has a pretty good handle on its waste needs.

Also, as I said in the other thread where he crossposted his faux outrage, Wisla is taking a $1 to $2 change and calling it a 100% increase. 'Cause, headlines. It sure doesn't sound as bad if you say the garbage fee went up $3 or so, does it?

It does not matter if saying it went up by $3.00 makes it seem less high. Its the % that counts. Condo fees may start out at 40 cents per sq ft and then if it rises to .80 cents, (or whatever number) within 3 years. its a 100% increase even though by saying it only rose 40 cents makes it sound less expensive. Thats what I bet the condo board wants people to think "oh, only a 40 cents increase in 3 years"

It does not matter if saying it went up by $3.00 makes it seem less high. Its the % that counts. Condo fees may start out at 40 cents per sq ft and then if it rises to .80 cents, (or whatever number) within 3 years. its a 100% increase even though by saying it only rose 40 cents makes it sound less expensive. Thats what I bet the condo board wants people to think "oh, only a 40 cents increase in 3 years"

That's completely different, as it's now PER SQUARE FOOT. The garbage fee is the total fee, and a small bin rose $3. Total. But, 58%.

But you make my point. You can make this out to be a huge increase or not by the headline. I think it's Sun-style scaremongering.

I think it's Sun-style scaremongering.

Indeed. The Tory haters must not have much material if they're criticizing an increase in user fees for curbside garbage collection, something that only affects low-rise homeowners and if anything will encourage people to help the environment by reducing the amount of waste they produce.

People who maintain their grip on reality will know that garbage fees are inconsequential compared to water & sewer charges, which are going up 10% a year to approach a true cost-recovery basis. Again, the point of the whole exercise is to encourage conservation and stop heavy users from freeloading off everyone else.

Now that I live in a flat again, I throw out 1 medium sized garbage bag of rubbish once every 2-3 weeks that's mostly full of unrecyclable smoke packs and bread bags making it take up more volume than more compact items would. Seriously, what is all this waste being generated?

Funny you mention smoke packs. The non recycleable butts were a conundrum for me when I smoked, and cleaning ashtrays kept me using paper towel long after I was trying to kick both habits. The cello wrap and paper box are recyclable when separated but the papered foil is not. Love to see rubbish and flat in your post, makes me homesick for the British ladies who raised me.

I have to ashamedly admit that I have very rarely separated a smoke pack into its constituent parts for proper disposal. Quite embarrassed....I'll have to start doing that.

Don't get too nostalgic when reading my anglicisms....some of my friends and I think we're from Brixton. It's a subculture thing....I'm 100% Ontarian.

I also think Green For Life should mean green practices to enhance our lives not greenbacks flowing to giant corporations for the
rest of our life.

It rightfully should, but consider that GFL is a prime example of corporate "greenwashing".

I have to ashamedly admit that I have very rarely separated a smoke pack into its constituent parts for proper disposal. Quite embarrassed....I'll have to start doing that.

Don't be too chagrined, at least you care. I think I recall you being in construction or renos? There are the real opportunities to make a difference in the trades. The crap I recall going into the burn pile when I was doing custom additions in the oughts makes me cringe. It takes effort and costs more to do it well, and it was grudge money for most clients. Nowadays we're likely to be quizzed by potential clients who want to ensure proper disposal before we are hired.

On bread bags.. doggie owners love em for poop.

Last edited:
It rightfully should, but consider that GFL is a prime example of corporate "greenwashing".
I had this conversation the other day. The bright green trucks and environmentally-friendly branding is a great way to "greenwash" one of the most historically shady industries - and gain competitive advantage over their "tax syphoning" public and unionized counterparts.

GFL's environmental mandate is as flimsy as garbage bags from Dollarama. They just recite provincial legislation and state that they adhere to those regulations:
http://gflenv.com/about/environment-safety

If you really need rubbish to be picked up twice a week then you have serious consumption issues that no amount of increased rubbish collection is going to help you with.

You are correct about that, but I think the issue that represents is that we used to have higher standards and were willing to pay for it.

....streetcars used to come more often
....grass used to be cut on public property
....flowers flourished in public parks

Toronto used to be the butt of jokes about how squeaky clean it was. They don't make those jokes any more (for good reason). It wasn't because Torontonians were especially clean...it was because the resources to make it that way were implemented. Those were our standards.

You know your civic standards have slipped when it's considered a good idea to let Rob Ford run things.

And let's not forget our current mayor also had those same standards as well. Let me assure you that John Tory didn't magically change his tune in the last 4 years.

Ryerson seems to specailize in second careers for NDP oldtimers - Kyle Rae, Judy Rebick, Buzz Hargrove, now Olivia Chow. Maybe not suprising if they have a whole program dedicated to student activism named after Jack Layton. It's like the equivalent of sitting on a coporate board for the Conservative or joining a law firm for a Liberal. You always hear how difficult it is for young people to get started on an academic career.

Ryerson seems to specailize in second careers for NDP oldtimers - Kyle Rae, Judy Rebick, Buzz Hargrove, now Olivia Chow. Maybe not suprising if they have a whole program dedicated to student activism named after Jack Layton. It's like the equivalent of sitting on a coporate board for the Conservative or joining a law firm for a Liberal. You always hear how difficult it is for young people to get started on an academic career.

Ryerson isn't quite as social justice-left oriented as York, but I imagine it is attractive to a lot of progressives for its inter-disciplinary and urban-focused programs. Academia is however a natural fit for ex-NDP politicos. Some believe it or not do get involved in the private sector - Joe Pantalone is a City Hall lobbyist, Howard Hampton is a Bay Street lawyer, former MPP Paul Ferreira works in marketing.

Last edited:
You are correct about that, but I think the issue that represents is that we used to have higher standards and were willing to pay for it.

....streetcars used to come more often
....grass used to be cut on public property
....flowers flourished in public parks

Toronto used to be the butt of jokes about how squeaky clean it was. They don't make those jokes any more (for good reason). It wasn't because Torontonians were especially clean...it was because the resources to make it that way were implemented. Those were our standards.

You know your civic standards have slipped when it's considered a good idea to let Rob Ford run things.

And let's not forget our current mayor also had those same standards as well. Let me assure you that John Tory didn't magically change his tune in the last 4 years.

To mow that park lawn, patch the bald grass patches, plant flowers, pull the weeds out of the sidewalks, control the poison ivy, pick up the litter, paint, fix the picnic tables... all cost money. Saving money means doing without.

Back