News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I bet Tory's staff are doing some interesting wheeling and dealing with councillors for the the Gardiner vote.
this can be seen by the sudden appearance of pro-hybrid positions from several of them in the last couple of days, right down to similar verbiage

i really admire matlow for the careful and detailed analysis he published today

this can be seen by the sudden appearance of pro-hybrid positions from several of them in the last couple of days, right down to similar verbiage

i really admire matlow for the careful and detailed analysis he published today

Matlow is shunned by Tory and this council. He has nothing to lose by coming out in support of the remove option.

Robinson on the other hand, showed her hand as the opportunist she is for the second time in recent weeks.

I bet Tory's staff are doing some interesting wheeling and dealing with councillors for the the Gardiner vote. Like back the hybrid model and we'll support this and that project in your ward. Losing an important vote like this so early on would look really bad on him!

Thats the part of local government I do not like. The way these councillors govern and make decisions, anyone can run and win and not do much governing. Just vote the way the mayor or the majority will vote

Last edited:
I have a feeling Tory is heavily influenced by Minnan-Wong, that's partly why he seems to have changed his tune since taking office.

Tory's support of a useless Scarborough subway and an eastern Gardiner rebuild are profoundly anti-urban, and both are right out of Ford's playbook. I agree Tory isn't a Fordite in the sense that he isn't an il-mannered bully; however, he wants to take Toronto exactly the same suburban place as Ford does.

Just remember that mesoscopic traffic analysis is only a theory.

I have a feeling Tory is heavily influenced by Minnan-Wong, that's partly why he seems to have changed his tune since taking office.

I think he is just doing whatever he is doing as rearguard - that, and he is generally out of touch anyways.

Actually, I was wrong. The Globe says there's been little to no whipping of the vote for the Gardiner.

No whipping, but plenty of "let's have a chat, what can I do for you" no doubt.

AoD

And how has he changed his tune? He supported the hybrid option and the scarborough subway during the campaign. Anyone that voted for him has voted for this.

And how has he changed his tune? He supported the hybrid option and the scarborough subway during the campaign. Anyone that voted for him has voted for this.

Not really, nrb. We voted against another blob of Fordjunk taking office, and had to vote against Chow the passionless campaigner, too. No other choice. But I knew this issue was coming and I hope for the best outcome from council.

I got a response from Glen De Bearemaeker's office. He is still undecided on the Gardiner, says the team is collecting information on how either option affects residents of his Ward.

edit: And a second response from Councillor Campbell's office, also in the undecided camp.

John Tory's Chief of Staff on Twitter:

Enroute from SFO to San Jose with @johntory. Asked the driver what happened when the Embarcadero was torn down. "Traffic is much worse."
this guy makes his living driving. So I tend to believe him not the mythology that traffic just disappears. #GardinerEast

Well, there you have it. Fordian folk mythology over established research.

Not really, nrb. We voted against another blob of Fordjunk taking office, and had to vote against Chow the passionless campaigner, too. No other choice. But I knew this issue was coming and I hope for the best outcome from council.

That's fine if you want to create a nice sounding narrative for yourself, but don't pretend it applies to everyone.

God, we really are getting back to the Ford (and Harper) world where facts are simply not enough and it's the man on the street who knows best.

Today the mayor proved yet again that his promise about "making decision based on facts" was a complete lie. Very few people disagree that the demise of the Embarcadero freeway was an extremely positive outcome for the city, but amazingly team hybrid has to throw mud on that too in their attempt to justify their pathetically weak case for pursuing the hybrid. Taking advice from a cab driver instead of city planners is the best they can do at this point. This debate is starting to rival the Scarborough subway for pure bald-faced lying and stubborn ignorance of facts and experts advice.

In other news, another 14 developers and business leaders came out in favour of the boulevard earlier today, who now join the growing chorus of health experts, traffic analysts, city planners, developers, urbanists, and former mayors who are urging for the removal of the Gardiner. Thank you mayor Tory for not listening.

Back