News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The first statement may be correct, but Council took Ford out of the transit file back in March 2012. Anything that happened after that was not influenced by Ford at all. I am not sure if anyone really believes Ford is responsible, or they just like blaming him because they know it is the popular thing to do.

The "Scarborough Subway" is mostly the idea of Kathleen Wynne, and I don't think Tory has the courage to stand up to her.

I would disagree with that -- this baby came from Council in the form of Stintz and Baeremaeker. I hold Stintz responsible for a lot of crap with her Mayoral aspirations. She caused a huge amount of mess by getting sucked into that cabal of Scar whingers.

At this point I am not sure why we are rehashing old news. The deed is done, move on and get things built for a change already - and frankly, the case for BD extension is far more reasonable than say Sheppard.

AoD

Wynne, Tory agree toll lanes coming to GTA
Temporary High Occupancy Vehicle lanes set up in the Toronto and Hamilton area for the Pan Am Games will not become permanent, but Premier Kathleen Wynne said they will likely return in the form of toll lanes.
[...]
Toronto Mayor John Tory said the city must eventually decide whether to place toll lanes on the municipally governed Gardiner Expressway and Don Valley Parkway. But Tory said the city will wait until the province decides where its new toll lanes will go so the two governments could create what he calls a "sensible network" for drivers.

"The province will make its decision, as we obviously have some decisions to make with respect to roads that are in our jurisdiction, but it should be based on the facts and based on the experience," he said. "I haven't heard any announcement from the government of Ontario on the when, where and how, but I'm mindful there was a commitment so it should be no surprise to anybody."
http://m.bramptonguardian.com/news-story/5745522-wynne-tory-agree-toll-lanes-coming-to-gta

Toronto app matches drivers with parking spots, but city says it’s against bylaws
Rover, an app matching drivers with owners' unused parking spaces — launched in the Apple App Store earlier this month — has already been downloaded more than 1,000 times, its founders said. But the City of Toronto is skeptical of its legality.
[...]
When asked whether the city has the right to declare the parking app illegal, Mayor John Tory said the real issue isn't about people running illegal businesses, but ensuring residential areas aren't turned into parking lots.

"We're just going to have to accept the fact that technology marches on, it doesn't wait around for governments to catch up, so governments, confronted by the fact that this technology exists, then we have to decide what if anything we're going to have to do about it."

Tory went on to say that the city will have to examine what the impact of the app will be.
[...]
Lehmann said it's fine for homeowners without vehicles to rent out the empty space in their garages, but filling a driveway or other space with several cars renting the spots would constitute a commercial parking lot. That could be grounds for a $5,000 fine if the city received a complaint, Lehmann said.

http://www.therecord.com/news-story...king-spots-but-city-says-it-s-against-bylaws/

At this point I am not sure why we are rehashing old news. The deed is done, move on and get things built for a change already - and frankly, the case for BD extension is far more reasonable than say Sheppard.

AoD
I don't think we should flush $4 billion down the toilet on the principle that we just have to get things built. Some things shouldn't be built at all, and the Scarborough subway is one of them.

I don't think we should flush $4 billion down the toilet on the principle that we just have to get things built. Some things shouldn't be built at all, and the Scarborough subway is one of them.

Fair enough, but what I am saying in this case is that there are worse lines to justifying spending that amount on. It's not my ideal choice, but I think the opportunity cost of going back again and again is higher than moving on.

AoD

subway cooked.JPG

http://www.pressreader.com/canada/toronto-star/20150724/282153584976692/TextView

Attachments

• subway cooked.JPG
    subway cooked.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 203
Looks to me like the subway game was rigged
its proponents claimed then that it would cost only $400 million more than the approved $1.4 billion LRT plan. We now know that the actual difference in price was not the 30 per cent they claimed, but at least 130 per cent, as the subway plan now seems likely to cost more than $3 billion.

We also now know that whatever the cost, this item was brought before council improperly: as my colleague Jennifer Pagliaro recently reported, the motion that allowed the new debate to happen was in violation of council’s procedural bylaw. The city clerk advised at the time that it was improper, but it was allowed by a subway-friendly council speaker who justified her decision working from notes provided to her by Rob Ford’s office.

We also know, also thanks to Pagliaro, that the ridership numbers central to that debate were questionable: mysteriously, the planning department suddenly changed its ridership estimate from 9,500 riders at peak time in one direction to a range that conveniently topped out at 14,000, just near the edge of what would justify a subway. Chief planner Jennifer Keesmaat was privately questioning that number in the lead up to the debate, though both she and TTC CEO Andy Byford defended it publicly before city council. Now Keesmaat says that estimate was “problematic,” though no one is explaining who came up with it or what logic went into it.

So: the debate itself was improper, and the key numbers that formed the crux of the debate were questionable and now discarded and discredited.

This raises a lot of questions. Were the books cooked? And if so, by whom? Were the procedural rules intentionally sidelined?

And knowing all that we know now, what should we do about it?

“It’s done. Council accepted it, and that was that,” clerk Ulli Watkiss says about the procedural monkey business.
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/07/23/looks-to-me-like-the-subway-game-was-rigged-keenan.html

AoD

The only problem I have is the alignment of the Stinz proposed extension, I would prefer along the present SRT alignment. Two things, people would not need to learn a new route and it would be cheaper.

The thing is we can't "move on" in the way people are speaking of. The EAs were done for the LRT and it would be up and running far quicker than the subway, even if it took 2 years to reverse course. Then we could take the city tax money and build smart track or, preferably, the DRL. As of now, funding is nowhere to be found for smart track, and Tory's colossal TIF model (would be the largest in North America - or was it the developed world? - as far as I understand) will never provide the billions required. So in fact a reversal would speed everything up, with tax money to spare.

AoD

I think there is a hope among LRT advocates that Tory could flip-flop on this issue and have the SLRT reinstated before the shovels hit the ground on the SSE. Even the Toronto Star is in on "rehashing old new" in hopes it can force change.

I think there is a hope among LRT advocates that Tory could flip-flop on this issue and have the SLRT reinstated before the shovels hit the ground on the SSE. Even the Toronto Star is in on "rehashing old new" in hopes it can force change.

Reopening it yet again at this point can only lead to the issue sticking around for the rest of eternity. I just wanted it gone and stop polluting the political process at this point.

AoD

Reopening it yet again at this point can only lead to the issue sticking around for the rest of eternity. I just wanted it gone and stop polluting the political process at this point.

AoD

As I mention in another thread. We should have gone with the ICTS upgrade and expansion, we might not like technology, but at least we would have something done by now, instead of ten years of back and forth of fighting over a LRT or Subway that doesn't seem to end.

TCHC wants more powers to stop illegal activity
Toronto Community Housing Corp. wants to ban evicted tenants for two years, have the power to kick out unwanted guests on its properties and exchange more information with police about suspected illegal activity.

The aim of the recommendations, contained in an interim report from Mayor John Tory (open John Tory's policard)’s housing task force, is to increase the safety and security of TCHC’s 164,000 tenants, some of whom feel “intimidated and fearful in their own homes,” the report said. “Drug dealing and other illegal and anti-social behavior cause much of this.”

“TCHC needs to step up its game on security generally,” a spokesman for the task force wrote in an email.
http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...nts-more-powers-to-stop-illegal-activity.html

Back