News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

This is what I found.

Del Duca has also said that the province would be willing to work with any municipality that wants to add tolls to existing roads under their jurisdiction, such as Toronto's Gardiner Expressway and Don Valley Parkway.

They said no to Tory when eh announced tolls so I am not understanding this? Is he saying tolls are for HOV lanes only which can thus be added to the Gardiner and then those lanes can be tolled?

From CBC News:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/brown-tory-meeting-1.4093133
  • Approve the mayor's request to block violent criminals who have been evicted from Toronto Community Housing Buildings from being allowed to re-apply for a TCH unit.
  • Streamline development "to increase supply and affordability in the housing market."
  • Direct Metrolinx to make SmartTrack fares uniform with TTC fares.
  • Commit to regular meetings with Tory.
Sounds like a whole lot of nothing.

AoD

The NDP would be smart to double down on Transit investment for Toronto. That comment from Wynne saying "that it's not all about Toronto" will just ensure she will sink.

Saying/doing it's all about Toronto will make the NDP sink elsewhere with no guarantee of getting anything from TO.

AoD
Just read TorStar's copy on it:
Ministers accuse Tory of going too far after he blames province for city's housing woes

Tory is tying himself in knots here...on a ship of fools, including Brown. Toronto may be a Lib stronghold, but it's far from being everything. Wynne knows which side of the toast to butter to get the votes, and it isn't kow-towing to Tory. The more Tory snivels, the stronger Wynne's chances look outside of 416. This has been developing for a while, Tory making impossible demands on provincial money. I'm no great fan of Wynne, but Tory is looking like...well...he wears short pants, and wets them.

Just read TorStar's copy on it:
Ministers accuse Tory of going too far after he blames province for city's housing woes

Tory is tying himself in knots here...on a ship of fools, including Brown. Toronto may be a Lib stronghold, but it's far from being everything. Wynne knows which side of the toast to butter to get the votes, and it isn't kow-towing to Tory. The more Tory snivels, the stronger Wynne's chances look outside of 416. This has been developing for a while, Tory making impossible demands on provincial money. I'm no great fan of Wynne, but Tory is looking like...well...he wears short pants, and wets them.

And besides, what did Tory get from Brown? Those much needed social housing funds he is complaining the current government (or his, on that matter) refused to pay up? He would do well looking at the history of PCs on that file, post-90s. Oops, I forgot, he used to lead that party.

AoD

And besides, what did Tory get from Brown? Those much needed social housing funds he is complaining the current government (or his, on that matter) refused to pay up? He would do well looking at the history of PCs on that file, post-90s. Oops, I forgot, he used to lead that party.

AoD
Yeah, and Brown's convoluted greased back flip on the DRL was...well...literally....'priceless'.

Edit to Add: Best I produce quotes and text:
While Brown adopted some of the mayor’s rhetoric, suggesting, for instance, that Wynne and the Liberals had “turned their back” on Toronto taxpayers, he offered no major spending commitments if his party forms the next provincial government.

Instead, Brown announced “the first in a series of concrete promises,” that will be followed by “additional measures” to respond to Toronto’s priorities.

These initial measures include introducing a private member’s bill to respond to the mayor’s request to block convicted criminals from re-applying to live in Toronto Community Housing, something the Wynne government has so far rejected.

An Ontario PC government would also allow TCH to purchase natural gas independently, which the city has estimated could save $6.3 million annually.

Nor did Brown say how much a Tory government would contribute toward TCH’s massive repair bill, with hundreds of units threatened for closure this years.

“We have to take care of these people, I get that, I appreciate that,” Brown said. “Right now, we need to look at the provincial books to make sure that the help Toronto needs is there, and certainly it is a conversation that we started today. I realize we have to do our part.”

Brown said it was also “premature” to comment on funding Toronto’s priority transit projects, including the downtown relief line, but said it’s reasonable the city wants reliable funding from the province.

“We want to be a significant partner in these projects,” Brown said, but “we’re not going to get into specifics today.”
https://www.thestar.com/news/city_h...s-the-province-for-torontos-housing-woes.html

Whether one favours Tory's stance over Wynne, or hates Tory and loves Wynne, or wins Wynne and tastes Tory, or whatever...

Tory is destroying whatever position he might have in this fight. One of his handlers should pull him aside and say: "John, you need a game-plan on this, they're kicking the shid out of you, and you keep going back for more".

Will Tory figure out a better stance? Doubtful at this rate. He's been called on his wagers, and doesn't have any cards to lay down....save for increasing taxes.

Last edited:
The problem Tory has in extracting more $$ from any Provincial government is that many people outside Toronto (and inside) think that the City needs to do more ITSELF - for example, not freeze real estate taxes at inflation and not give up on a car registration tax. At the same time Tory champions the VERY expensive one-stop subway, the rebuild of the Gardiner and the (wonderful but expensive) rail-deck park. While I agree we need more Provincial money I can well understand why NOBODY (including Brown) is racing to open the Provincial floodgates onto us!

The problem Tory has in extracting more $$ from any Provincial government is that many people outside Toronto (and inside) think that the City needs to do more ITSELF - for example, not freeze real estate taxes at inflation and not give up on a car registration tax. At the same time Tory champions the VERY expensive one-stop subway, the rebuild of the Gardiner and the (wonderful but expensive) rail-deck park. While I agree we need more Provincial money I can well understand why NOBODY (including Brown) is racing to open the Provincial floodgates onto us!

Mind you, the province (in the form of the current government and the opposition parties) haven't exactly been helpful in that process - given their inclination to put political expediency ahead of city priorities. Okay, I don't want you to toll, sell anything, tear down anything, but I want you to fund the subway that we chose to dictate you to fund, but we aren't going to pay up for social housing that we downloaded onto you either.

AoD

Saying/doing it's all about Toronto will make the NDP sink elsewhere with no guarantee of getting anything from TO.
Depends where they focus. They should focus on Toronto and areas where they are strong and leave the 905 except Hamilton. Got to pick your battles cause you can't win them all. In the federal election, Trudeau clearly targeted urban areas and younger generations and it worked. If the NDP tries to please everyone, they will fail.

The Pharmacare is already a step in targeting younger people. Consolidate what you have and win what you can realistically win. That's why I would double down in Toronto, Hamilton Ottawa and try to win seats while conceding the 905 to PC/Liberals.

Josh Matlow just sent this out in his Newsletter. Well said!

Leadership on Housing and Transit Begins by Setting the Right Priorities

I'm very concerned about how, while the mayor understandably calls on the Province for adequate funding for the significant transit and housing shortfalls in Toronto, I believe there have been decisions made at city hall that have not demonstrated thoughtful or competent management of these priorities from either a financial or social and urban planning policy perspective. Below is a video of a portion of my comments about this during last week's city council meeting while we were debating the closure of TCHC homes.

What was said?
Some stuff about working with the Mayor. Ridiculous.
But how can they do that when the province blocks road tolls?

Back