News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

What is with these Deputy Mayors of N-E-W-S....It could be construed as an attempt to usurp the authority of the Community Councils considering each Council elects their own Chair and Vice. Supposedly the Chair of each CC is the voice of their community not an appointed toady of the newly elected Mayor.
Has anyone bothered to look at the info and letters from J Tory to the Striking committee? He seems to making DMW his go to guy...his designated for Invest Toronto, Build Toronto, Civic Appointments Chair and Waterfront Toronto...that is alot of power concentrated under one person's wings almost the equivilent of D Holyday to R Ford

Last edited:
Wow. Too much negativity here. Tory's picks are fine. Heck, I love the idea of 4 deputy mayors for the city. There is a nice mixture here. Had Chow won the election, we would be looking at mostly left leaning picks which would be terrible for the city. Probably someone like Gord Perks as DM... ugh.

Just be cool, people.

Tory's cabinet is disappointing, pretty much all around. However, I see it as part of a second term strategy. I think he views "Ford Nation" (or whomever represents them) as more of a threat to another term, than the progressive cadre. Thereby, he's keeping his frenemies close.
That makes no sense.

John Tory is, and has always been, a right-wing politician. With all the traditional baggage you expect from a white protestant male of his generation, born with a silver spoon in his mouth. He might do the talk from time to time, but he's never walked the walk.

Who'd you thank he was going to appoint?

If Toronto had wanted a progressive mayor, they'd have have voted for him. Instead they voted for a long-time Rob Ford supporter. I'm not comprehending why anyone is surprised here, or think's that Tory has progressive any progressive leanings.

Wow. Too much negativity here. Tory's picks are fine. Heck, I love the idea of 4 deputy mayors for the city. There is a nice mixture here. Had Chow won the election, we would be looking at mostly left leaning picks which would be terrible for the city. Probably someone like Gord Perks as DM... ugh.

Just be cool, people.

Sure, and just accept that the incoming Budget Chief and Public Works Chair showed absolutely no interest in the positions they are being appointed to when canvassed for their choices of positions on committees....

Indeed. Norm Kelly only became the de facto mayor because Rob was stripped of his powers.

Stripped of his non-statutory powers, i.e. those delegated by council in the first place. Rob Ford remained mayor as a matter of law. The deputy mayor is not automatically next in line for the office. Stand-ins are appointed by council. If something happened to Tory, it would be up to council to decide whether to call a byelection or appoint a stand-in. A stand-in would only be acceptable if we were relatively close to scheduled election.

Tory's cabinet is disappointing, pretty much all around. However, I see it as part of a second term strategy. I think he views "Ford Nation" (or whomever represents them) as more of a threat to another term, than the progressive cadre. Thereby, he's keeping his frenemies close.

I'm not 100% dissappointed with the picks, however, I think you may be right. This was Tory opening his arms wide to Ford Nation. Alienating them on day one would just lead to the same resentment that opened the door for Rob Ford to become mayor in the first place.

This way, Tory gets to ram his agenda through council, while looking sympathetic to Ford's core supporters. Having this executive carry Tory's platform forward will help Tory get a bit more support out of the Ford Nation type, hopefully reducing their anger and paving the way for more progress than division.

Sure, and just accept that the incoming Budget Chief and Public Works Chair showed absolutely no interest in the positions they are being appointed to when canvassed for their choices of positions on committees....

Yawn.

If Toronto truly wanted change across the board, many of these councillors would have lost re-election and new people would be elected. That didn't happen. So, yes, I'll accept the people that Mayor Tory has picked who want to work on pushing his agenda through. Welcome to politics.

Yawn.

If Toronto truly wanted change across the board, many of these councillors would have lost re-election and new people would be elected. That didn't happen. So, yes, I'll accept the people that Mayor Tory has picked who want to work on pushing his agenda through. Welcome to politics.

Take a look at the Clerk's canvas neither J Robinson or G Crawford expressed any interest in the positions they are pegged for....

The only mitigating factor I can see in Nunziata being speaker again is that she probably isn't anywhere near as chummy with Tory as she is with the FoBros.

Casita... Would you get over this "heartbeat away" thing. The deputy mayor is not a US-style vice-president.

Sorry for the choice of words. My question remains, what if JT dies in office? Does DMW finish his term, or does it trigger another election?

I guess I can look up the answer, but I thought someone here would know.

Sorry for the choice of words. My question remains, what if JT dies in office? Does DMW finish his term, or does it trigger another election?

I guess I can look up the answer, but I thought someone here would know.

Depends on the timing. If it's near the end of the term, council can make an appointment. It doesn't have to be DMW (although he'd be a frontrunner, obviously). Otherwise, there would be an election. DMW has no mandate or automatic route to the mayor's office. Think of this way, if a movie star dies during a shoot, they don't give the role to his/her stand-in and carry on.

I'm not 100% dissappointed with the picks, however, I think you may be right. This was Tory opening his arms wide to Ford Nation. Alienating them on day one would just lead to the same resentment that opened the door for Rob Ford to become mayor in the first place.

This way, Tory gets to ram his agenda through council, while looking sympathetic to Ford's core supporters. Having this executive carry Tory's platform forward will help Tory get a bit more support out of the Ford Nation type, hopefully reducing their anger and paving the way for more progress than division.

I agree. It's bad optics that John didn't appoint anyone from the downtown or the core. (I'd much rather have KWT on exec than Shiner). But there's nothing we can do about that. The onus is now Tory to live up to his comments about working with all members of council. And I wish him every success in developing an alternative to Ford Nation.

Take a look at the Clerk's canvas neither J Robinson or G Crawford expressed any interest in the positions they are pegged for....

Why does this matter? The big fat kid might express interest in being a wide receiver, but he's still going on the OL. They obviously had a quiet conversation & accepted the nod.

Back