News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Best Mayor during my 20 years in Toronto, by a country mile. Continues to amuse me how many people cannot acknowledge that. It has a sort of 'Clinton couldn't have been a good President 'cause he's a Democrat' or 'Harper couldn't be a good Prime Minister because he's a Conservative' feel to it, depending on your political bent.

He certainly was a good mayor. The 2009 garbage strike was not his fault.

"He splits his time between Toronto and Brooklyn, New York where he accepted a three-year appointment at the Polytechnic Institute of New York University as Future of Cities Global Fellow and will teach courses on finding technological solutions to urban problems."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Miller_(Canadian_politician)#Post_mayoral_career

How many former mayors have ever been offered positions such as that?

Miller was good, but I think JT will be great.

I followed Matlow on Twitter for a while. Judging from that, he spent a ton of time at events and meetings in his ward.

He also matured. In the first year, he thought he, being the new non-partisan centrist councillor with his own radio show, was something special and the smartest man in the room. Perhaps the best thing the Fords did for him was take over his show.

"City of #Toronto swears in new mayor/council with the all time worst rendition of CDN national anthem. Hope they got her cheap."
https://twitter.com/derek32smith/status/539860745409011712

Made me thankful for the mute button.

There's no way it can possibly be worse than this version, from the CFL back in the day when they expanded to the USA:

[video=youtube;KpXzASiXX8U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpXzASiXX8U[/video]

Toronto City Clerk ‏@TorontoCouncil 3m3 minutes ago
Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam has been elected as Vice Chair of Toronto and East York Community Council #tocouncil
Jennifer Pagliaro ‏@jpags 2m2 minutes ago
Councillor Augimeri has pulled herself out of running to be speaker by being appointed chair of North York community council
Toronto City Clerk ‏@TorontoCouncil 5m5 minutes ago
Councillor Mike Layton has been elected as Chair of Toronto and East York Community Council #tocouncil
Toronto City Clerk ‏@TorontoCouncil 2m2 minutes ago
Councillor James Pasternak has been elected as Vice Chair of North York Community Council #tocouncil

So much for the speaker challenge.

Ann Hui ‏@annhui 17s18 seconds ago
Another showdown averted: RT @lizchurchto: Cllr Augimeri will not run as speaker. Says she had support of 19 councillors. Needed 23 to win

Ann Hui ‏@annhui 23s24 seconds ago
Nunziata also confirmed that Mayor Tory has asked her to observe the provincial and federal legislatures to take notes on decorum

Last edited:
I followed Matlow on Twitter for a while. Judging from that, he spent a ton of time at events and meetings in his ward.

I wonder whose corn flakes Matlow pissed in to be relegated to only two committees...L&S (not even among his choices) and Audit...compared to say R Ford who is on Government Mgmt (1st choice), Audit, TRCA and Hockey Hall of Fame....Just to put a further exclamation on the point take a look at some of the newbies appointments....
DiCiano... Planning & Growth (1st choice), Affordable Housing, Budget, Civic Appointments
Carmichael-Greb...Planning & Growth (1st choice), Civic Appointments, Invest Toronto, Board of Health
Burnside...Community Development (1st choice), Affordable Housing, Board of Health, Toronto Police Pension Plan

Last edited:
Best Mayor during my 20 years in Toronto, by a country mile. Continues to amuse me how many people cannot acknowledge that. It has a sort of 'Clinton couldn't have been a good President 'cause he's a Democrat' or 'Harper couldn't be a good Prime Minister because he's a Conservative' feel to it, depending on your political bent.

Miller left behind a tremendous legacy that is still growing into fruition. He is easily the best Mayor we have had since Crombie. Ford's legacy is some leftover bobbleheads and talk show punchlines that will soon be forgotten.

Miller was responsible for the Eglinton Crosstown. He had nothing to do with the The Sorbara extension, and the farmfield stations are not even in Toronto.

I'm not even sure what your point was but it certainly hasn't been proven by anything in this thread.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Miller support the extension to Vaughan as a way to get greater funding for TTC operations from the province?

Miller left behind a tremendous legacy that is still growing into fruition. He is easily the best Mayor we have had since Crombie. Ford's legacy is some leftover bobbleheads and talk show punchlines that will soon be forgotten.

By all accounts I have read, David Crombie was a very good mayor. But, it's difficult to compare him to Lastman, Miller, Ford or Tory because Crombie was only responsible for 37 square miles, whereas John Tory has to take care of 240 square miles.

Natalie Johnson ‏@NatalieCTV 1m1 minute ago
John Tory on council seating: "I don't care who sits beside me. I'll sit in the press gallery if that's necessary."
Don Peat ‏@reporterdonpeat 25s26 seconds ago
"I'll sit in the press gallery" Mayor John Tory says he doesn't care where he sits or who sits beside him #TOpoli

I have missed this civility.

Don Peat ‏@reporterdonpeat 57s58 seconds ago
Almost unnoticed during Mayor John Tory's press conference, Councillor Rob Ford came out and went up to council meeting #TOpoli

This is promising.

Norm Kelly ‏@norm 33s33 seconds ago
Annnnnnd we're back. #TOpoli #TOcouncil

That guy is pure awesomeness.

Last edited:

Back