News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

It's important to remember than many council progressives, like Jack Layton and Joe Pantalone - while not exactly cheerleaders - supported the Sheppard Subway. There was a belief at the time "that if you build, they will come."
Ya the Metro Council as a whole made the suggestion to build it because they believed in a fantasy of high density office and connected residential developments far outside of downtown. Mike Harris ultimately made it happen, or perhaps a better way to put it is that he made it not unhappen even though it was doomed to failure. Lastman was a sideshow who took credit for everyone else shrugging their shoulders at it because lots of money was sloshing around.

Last edited:
Not quite sure where best to post this but many of us may be interested in knowing that the T.O.INview website of upcoming City projects has been updated with 2023 projects.

See: https://map.toronto.ca/toinview/

Lots of good stuff in there! I will be updating assorted threads!

Reactions: DSC
The City are starting to replace the ferry fleet with electric ferries, This does not include the historic Trillium which was refurbished about 5 years ago as far as I remember. See http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2022.GL28.1
1641751102347.png

I do not think I have ever seen the Trillium in action (and have certainly never ridden on it). Does it get put into regular service at busy periods or is it used for 'events'?

I do not think I have ever seen the Trillium in action (and have certainly never ridden on it). Does it get put into regular service at busy periods or is it used for 'events'?
"Heritage Vessel".

Ironically, the youngest of the present four is already as old as the Trillium was when it was mouldering in its lagoon awaiting restoration...

First, I want to bring that Tweet forward for everyone:

1642090277965.png

My comment: Don't look at the 2.9% so much, look at the Total budgetary increase at the bottom. This is how much more money is available relative to last year.

Its only 2.11% which is to say, inflation coverage at best.

Now, that does not include any allocation from the Vacant Homes Tax which won't effectively pay out until 2023; and it doesn't including the City-Building Tax which is also rising this year.

Still, there's not a lot there to make new investments on the operating side.

The SOGR deficit will also grow substantially over the next decade and was already high in my opinion.

I'll have a lot more to say once all the briefing notes are up.

Reactions: DSC
I went out about 2:00 p.m. today downtown on King Street. No sidewalks shoveled. None at all. I thought that was odd as usually at least 50% of the sidewalks would have been shovelled out at some point by then, and many as early as 8:00 a.m. to a point they might have been re-covered with more snow as the day went on, but today was literally zero.

Then I remembered the City said they were taking it over and sure enough at about 2:30, on the way home again, I saw one of their new sidewalk plows finally navigating the street.
Oh, yes, it worked, but apparently now since they City has taken over the downtown streets will see nothing done at all until the City does it? Is my understanding correct on this?

What was their expected response time to plowing the sidewalks again?

Last edited:

Back